Author Topic: Sleepless Nights  (Read 752 times)

Offline The Woolys

• Site Member
Sleepless Nights
« on: February 21, 2006, 09:18:31 AM »
Good morning

We have nearly had Freddy 2 weeks now and love him to bits, but we are still having sleepless nights.  He goes to bed about 10.30 and we have a routine where we carry him while we put the lights out etc and he goes straight to sleep most nights, but he is still waking up about 3am. Last night he wouldn't settle downstairs and just kept crying, so we resorted to bringing him into our bedroom which is something that we were trying to avoid, but he slept happily all spread out.  Is this normal for him to be sleeping this amount of time at night, apart from that and the usual puppy biting he is an absolute star.

Any advice would be great

Gill, Dan and Freddy

Offline sarah jane

• Site Member
Re: Sleepless Nights
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 10:33:04 AM »
I've got the same problem with winnie(clumber spaniel)weve had her 2 wks today,she woke me at 4am thismorning my OH get's up at 5:15 so i just stayed up with him till he went to work went back to bed overslept rushing around at 7am getting the kidd's ready for school.I haven't resorted to putting her in bed withus i just get up no chatting though i do the usual pee poo  thing's after about 30mins or so her settels back down :luv:it's as if she is just checking we are still there .............winnie sleeps quite alot but i supose pups do! :luv:...............
Winnie clumber spaniel/ Jasmine,Talula,Eric,Enya cocker spaniels

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 11:47:55 AM »
Good morning

We have nearly had Freddy 2 weeks now and love him to bits, but we are still having sleepless nights.  He goes to bed about 10.30 and we have a routine where we carry him while we put the lights out etc and he goes straight to sleep most nights, but he is still waking up about 3am. Last night he wouldn't settle downstairs and just kept crying, so we resorted to bringing him into our bedroom which is something that we were trying to avoid, but he slept happily all spread out.  Is this normal for him to be sleeping this amount of time at night, apart from that and the usual puppy biting he is an absolute star.

Any advice would be great

Gill, Dan and Freddy

Are you taking him out to do his business when he wakes without fussing (as few lights as possible, no talking apart from praise etc)?

Can you/are you happy to, put his crate in your room?

I dont like dogs on the bed as its always me that ends up hanging of the edge :) But we had to put Alfies crate in the room so we got sleep and the neighbours werent disturbed. Once we stopped crating him at night he was quite happy on the floor at the end of the bed and only gets up on the bed once the alarm goes off.

Caroline and Alfie

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 12:01:52 PM »
Barney did take a while to sleep through the night. 

One thing that did teh trick was putting a soft bed with edges inside his crate - he liked feeling enclosed and having somethign to curl up against - previously he had a pillow type bed in there.  If you haven;t trie dthis it might be worth having a go.  It was miraculous - he slept the first night we did it - could have just been coincidence though ;)
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 03:22:06 PM »
Melody was very vocal for about the first two weeks too but then someone advised me to put a radio on for her and we've had silence ever since.

Now at night-time she's out to the garden about 11.30pm then when she comes back in I say Bedtime and she hops into her crate in the diningroom.  She gets half a hob-nob for her bedtime treat and I put a blanket over the top of the crate at night-time only (the door is always left uncovered) and she has the kitchen light on. 

Whenever we've needed to let her out in the middle of the night we never spoke other than to praise her for doing her business.  Its hard to walk away when that tiny pup is howling though but I was adamant from the start that her bed was staying in the diningroom.  Melody woke once in the middle of the night until she was about 11 weeks old but I started lifting her water & food bowls about 10pm so she wouldn't have to get up in the night.

The only thing I will say (please don't take this the wrong way) if you don't want to be carrying a dog around your house this time next year when you're switching off the lights, stop now before it becomes a habit   ;)  My GSD loved sitting on my lap when he was a pup and believe me it was no fun once he was fully grown  :laugh: :laugh:
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline flossysmum

• Limited Member
    • Abilou Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 03:30:30 PM »
When we got Flossy, she used to wake up about 6am when she was downstairs in the kitchen but i found that it was better to have her in my room as she always wanted to be near me :luv: she has stayed there ever since but now she has to put up with sophie in the same room too B)

Charlie has always slept right through the night, he loves going to bed, every night he will stand by the door and want to go to bed, but when he was about 9 weeks old he kept jumping out of his pen, diddnt know how he got out when he was so small :huh: we then decided to get him a cage :blink:
xxx Love Abi, Flossy, Charlie, Amber, Bertha and Ginny xxx