Author Topic: More Advice please!!  (Read 1055 times)

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
More Advice please!!
« on: February 20, 2006, 02:24:07 PM »
When Pringle was at the vets this morning I asked the vet if it was okay to give her raw hide chews.  She has got a couple of ones that are quite chunky bones and loves them, as they are quite big she doesn't seem to make much of a dent in them.  They also seem to help her settle.  Anyway the vet didn't think this was a good idea as she said that sometimes they can bite too much off, swallow it and cause a blockage.  Has anyone else got any views on this or do they give them raw hide chews, or if not what do they get as an alternative.  Pringle is 9 weeks old.

Also, has anyone got any suggestions for a good company that does pet insurance.  Thanks a lot.
Ann and Pringle

Offline janejohn

• Site Member
Re: More Advice please!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 02:34:16 PM »
We've just been looking at pet insurane and the best one we found is by M&S - you can look it up online. Make sure you read all the small print when trying to make a decision as all companies vary greatly!

Jane
Jane, Sapphire and Merlin x

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 02:47:21 PM »
I was told the same about the chews - not to give them till they're 14+ weeks old, and supervise them when they've got one "just in case" - as with all bones (fake or natural).

On insurance - I've just gone with M&S too.  It's got the highest levels of cover to match the other most comprehensive insurers but is much cheaper - I was quoted over £220 p.a. with PetPlan, but £163 with M&S - and a lower excess too.  At the moment, there's a 10% discount if you buy online.

Sorry - can't remember from your earlier post if Pringle (who is gorgeous, by the way!) came from a Kennel Club registered breeder?  If so - you've got six weeks' free insurance through the Kennel Club scheme (or you should have!), running from the date you collected her.  You could buy the M&S insurance now, to start with effect from the end of that six week period.  If not - just make sure you diarise when that six weeks runs out!

Denise

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 03:26:52 PM »
Yes, DennyK she did come from a registered breeder.  I have sent my paperwork off today back to the kennel club.  I went to register the puppy insurance on line but was a bit put off because after you put in all the details they wanted your credit card number as though they would just automatically continue it.  It might just be me being a bit thick so I will go back in and check again.
Ann and Pringle

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 03:38:07 PM »
Hi

Snoopy came with insurance from his breeder with the KC, but the cost of that was too high, compared to others, so we've got him insured with Healthy Pets, http://www.healthy-pets.co.uk, we paid £97.35 annual premium, with up to £6,000 vet costs covered, at the time it was the best for the price.  I too didn't activate my insurance on-line as they needed credit cards, etc, so we sent ours off and surprise surprise the insurance rom healthy pets came through prior to KC 6 weeks free insurance.  Just a word of advice if you haven't taken up insurance with the KC, then be prepared for a telesales call from the KC as they will contact you and  :o try and try to sell >:( you their insurance. 

Hope this helps.

Cheryl and Snoopy
cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 03:58:47 PM »
Yes, DennyK she did come from a registered breeder.  I have sent my paperwork off today back to the kennel club.  I went to register the puppy insurance on line but was a bit put off because after you put in all the details they wanted your credit card number as though they would just automatically continue it.  It might just be me being a bit thick so I will go back in and check again.

I was worried about this, and i think they do indeed continue the insurance after the "free" insurance has expired.  We ended up sendinga cheque off instead and then we got about 5 letters from them when the free insurance we expiring to remind us to insure with them!

We're now insured with M&S - from recommendations on here :)
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline judebt

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 04:27:33 PM »
be careful with pet insurance! Sainsbury, tesco, Argos and lots more all do great monthly rates but when you read the small print or on some occasions have to ASK, they only insurure your pet from 12 months of diagnosis and after that you are sunk if it is a life long condition i.e diabetes. In my opinion PET PLAN may be slightly more expensive but insure your pet for life and are very reliable. We insured our last dog (a westie) through pet plan, she died at the young age of 5 :huh: and they forked out £1600. Shop around and make sure you are clear on exactly what you are purchasing!!!
Judith and Roxi ;)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 04:52:19 PM »
Marks and Spencers is the same as pet plan (if not better) - even the same underwriters - but half the price, even with no excess. Vets are also happy to deal direct with them so no paying up front :)

As for chews - dont leave unsupervised. If you find shes managing to get chunks off then replace it with a new one.
Caroline and Alfie

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 09:34:24 PM »
I am also with Healthy-Pets.  £5.50 per month for gold cover - and they have paid out once already with no questions even though I did the overprotective mum bit and visited the vet at midnight  :o

Ben has the hide chews - my heart is in my mouth when he bites a chunk off (that's when I bin it) but luckily he's managed them so far.  He only has them when I'm around as I'm a bit of a worrier. The biggest annoyance is when a bit gets stuck behind his teeth  ph34r he gets so cross trying to get it out and will not let 'mum' help  :laugh:

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 10:11:24 PM »
We had a bad experience with rawhide and have never fed it since.

We now use pizzles instead!

Janey

Offline willowfaery

• Site Member
    • Bear kisses my bear site
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 10:44:31 PM »
Hi,
On the rawhide issue I tought they had to be older.  Perhaps you should just watch her like a hawk if you want to let her keep them.  :-\
Jet seems more than happy to hang off my slippers and use them as his chew.  :laugh:
I have just applied for M&S insurance too.  I did have our last dog insured by Pet Plan, but from what I can see of the policy they look as good without the expense and lots of people I know use M&S and have recommended them.
Sorry I can't help more on the rawhide.
Hugz
Jules & Jet     :-*