Author Topic: Humping  (Read 6422 times)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Humping
« on: February 18, 2003, 06:09:47 PM »
Could anyone please shed any light on why Buttons keeps humping legs etc :-X especially as she is a little girl and its not at all ladylike ;D
She is especially bad with my 2 daughters, obviously being too young to understand my eldest daughter (7) said today "why does Buttons love my leg so much??" :-[
I'm not quite sure what to tell her, especially as I'm not sure why she keeps doing it. Occaisionally she does it to me too :-, especially if I've been upstairs for a few minutes, tho she has never done it to my husband :-
Any thoughts :-X                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Humping
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 07:28:24 PM »
Mmmm ??? I must admit I find it a bit puzzling too :-

Lottie rarely does it.....only if she finds a nice big towel or a big pile of washing ready for the machine ::)

Would be interested in knowing the reason too. ;D                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Humping
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 07:58:44 PM »
Gilly

it has nothing to do with sexuality but practicing dominance techniques. The majority of puppies do it boys and girls and is normal :o. You can show her it's not acceptable by telling her no etc - but she'll probably stop of her own accord anyway. ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Lisa

• Site Member
    • http://www.petpack.co.uk
Humping
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2003, 10:48:50 PM »
Hi,

Daisy started humping about 2 months ago bu stopped about a month later, we didn't try to prevent her as it didn't bother us too much :D
I guess it will stop although I did use to have a Red Setter who never stopped...and things got quite messy at times.

Thanks
Lisa                    

Offline Christine

• Site Member
Humping
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 07:55:19 AM »

I guess it will stop although I did use to have a Red Setter who never stopped...and things got quite messy at times.

NICE ;D  The things I have to look forward to with Jasper ;D  although he has tried once!                    
Jaspers mummy :)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Humping
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 09:51:58 AM »
Is this a dominance related thing then, as it feels more like an excitement/happy kinds of thing :-                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Humping
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2003, 11:54:25 AM »
The traditional view is that it is a dominance thing,Gilly, but whilst some dogs do practice humping as a way to show they are top dog over another dog, when young pups do it, it's usually just a normal part of growing up & you're right they do tend to do it when they get excited when playing or whatever. Usually they grow out of it quite quickly if you don't pay much attention to it - if they get a reaction which they find exciting (which can happen with children as they are more likely to laugh or shout), then this can encourage the humping ;D                    
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Humping
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 12:00:07 PM »
which can happen with children as they are more likely to laugh or shout), then this can encourage the humping  
you couldn't be more right Jane ::) my kids think it's really funny, I nearly wet my self the other day I came out of the ktichen to find Hayley crawling aound the living room floor with Buttons on her back :o
"what on earth are you doing :o" says I.........
"giving her a piggy back ride ;D" says Hayley ::)
It's not paticularly annoying me just wondered why she did it..will try and keep an eye on her...saucy little madam ;D                    

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Humping
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 12:17:37 PM »
Amber used to 'hump' my cat....  he didn't seem to mind either :o

Seriously though, I'd be wary of her getting used to doing it to young children because if it is a dominance thing it might not be good for her to be thinking she's above your children in the pecking order but I don't know if this is accurate ??? ???                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Humping
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2003, 01:22:42 PM »
I don't think Gilly has to worry about this too much - from what I know of Buttons, she isn't a dominant dog & she will grow out of this pretty quickly if the kids start to ignore her :)                    
Jane

Offline Jen

• Site Member
Humping
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2003, 03:41:00 PM »
Quote from: Gilly
saucy little madam ;D
[/quote

just like her mum eh Gilly????? ;D ;)                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Humping
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2003, 07:21:50 PM »
who moi :o
I am certainly sure it's a phase and she will grow out of it. But then someone said that about me :-X ;D                    

Anonymous

Humping
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2003, 08:26:13 PM »
jessie doesn't hump at all  but I would be the same wouldn't exactly know what to say to the kids if she got over excited with them  ;D                    

Offline Donzer

• Site Member
Humping
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2003, 02:43:05 PM »
Hi - my 7 month old did it alot when she was younger.  I always told her off and told her she was bad to try to discourage it.  My Hubby though laughed at first (he was probably glad of some attention  :-X)  It is embarrasing when the in-laws are in having tea and Molly is busy at their feet  :-[

She still tries to get away with it now and again, but a strict NO seems to work now. ;)                    

Offline Karen

• Site Member
Humping
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2003, 03:15:39 PM »
My 2 girls used to do it now and then - they get a glazed over look in their eyes......
We just used to say no and they got the message pretty quickly. we've already all said about dreading this coming along with Ollie - him being the first boy dog we've had - I kind of assumed he would be worse?......                    
Kazza, Blue, Tia & Ollie xxx