Author Topic: Treats for puppies  (Read 1025 times)

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
Treats for puppies
« on: February 23, 2006, 08:18:24 PM »
Sorry everyone, yet another question?  Do you feed your dog/puppy treats such as biscuits, chews etc?  We used to give our other cockers treats and they did get quite fat.  My OH does not want to go down this route again and at the moment does not let Pringle have any biscuits or chews.  He thinks that if she has never had them she won't miss them.  I, on the other hand, feel a bit mean and think that 1 or 2 a day won't do her any harm and will be a nice change for her, especially as she is on an all in one biscuit dog food which must get quite boring.  Am I being too soft or is my OH being too hard.  What does everyone else do?
Ann and Pringle

Offline JaneES

• Site Member
Re: Treats for puppies
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 10:14:06 PM »
I feed Frankie treats, he loves the puppy markies and he gets about 4-6 of these every day! 
But I LOVE a wee fat puppy!  :laugh:
Jane (owned by Charlie, Frankie,Jaymae & Callum)

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 10:34:32 PM »
Barney got loads of treats when he was young and still does now - but we do watch his weight as we don't want him to become fat.

He likes bits of chopped up apple and carrot.  He also has pigs ears, raw hide chews and kongs filled with yummy things like puppy food!  You'll also find its easier to train him with rewards so we train with bits of carrot so he doesn't get too fat!

We also use "nutri-boost" treats from pets at home which he loves - i think this was the first treat we gave him and that is probably why he loves them quite so much!
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 10:43:19 PM »
Not all treats are fattening - the processed ones tend to be; and they are usually loaded wih additives that can turn cocker puppies into manic little toddlers on E-numbers  ::)

As Rachel says, vegetables are good; buffalo meat, cows ears, hooves and pizzles are all low in fat and natural so no nasty additives  ;)

I always use "high value" treats for training reward, and then lower value, lower fat treat for everyday reward  ;) So, because we care currently working on recall, I use tiny slices of hotdog sausage as recall rewards; with veg, gravy bones and pizzles as rewards and treats the rest of the time :) Remeber you can always reduce his daily food allowance to compensate for treats - I always did this if he had a pigs ears to eat as they are really fatty  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 10:53:56 PM »
Wow what discipline it must take to not feed a puppy treats!  :P

I have fed treats from the day we brought ours home (She is now 2 and half) but like Rachel we feed low fat natural treats most of the time with higher reward treats for special behaviour...cheese for strange walks and recall training etc.

We feed pizzles, carrots, brussels, peas (frozen lol), broccoli stems aswell as the more usual calcium bones (only pedigree treat we feed), JWB crackerjack, crackersnax and minijacks, Burns Kelties and Aquasacks, the odd pigs ear (and I mean rarely!)

The dogs have their own cupboard which is brimming with treats...  ;)

Janey

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 11:55:10 PM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Brooksuk

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 08:48:09 AM »
Fred get's a number of different treats, but we limit the number he is given to keep him trim.

James Well Beloved crakers (something like that).
Winalot Coat Conditioners - he loves these
Pediggree light and tastys - he loves these aswell (but only has 1 every other day!) :police:

Offline isla

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 11:06:45 AM »
Jem is 10 months and we have fed her treats everyday. She likes all the smacko type stuff but i try and limit that to once or twice a week. Raw hide chews mainly and pigs ears as a special treat. I use markies for grooming and the PAT mini bone puppy treats for out and about. The are really small and you can get a handful in you jeans pockets which is handy. Plus at 99p a bag they last ages and are cheap. I also like the JWB treats.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 11:24:43 AM »
I used coachies-which aren't full of bad stuff, and are tiny enough for puppies. For big training, I use teny hot dog sausages, but I wouldn't recommend them for pups.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline AnnB

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 11:26:57 PM »
Bella loves liver cake - flour, eggs, garlic, and lambs liver. It's great for training - except all the other dogs can smell it and want some too!
You find find a recipe on the internet.

(And now i've just read the other tpoic about training and treats where you can find the recipe!!)   Doh!!

but it seems that it has the same effect on other dogs too. The smell is bad but it goes a long way! The finished product...not the smell!!

Although come to think of it............

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 11:54:34 PM »
funny mocha is not motivated by treats at all, he will walk to heel for treats for a couple of minutes then turns off nose goes to ground and thats it!!!  I have almost given up with treats and only reward with toys for different tasks.  I have a different toy for a different task walking, retrieving, recall ect and if he does get a treat he can't believe it!
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!