Author Topic: Hello from Ireland  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Annmarie

• Site Member
Hello from Ireland
« on: March 03, 2006, 09:26:12 AM »
Hi All,

Wonderfull site, I'm really pleased to have found such a fantastic resource. I do not have a cocker yet, I am meeting with a breeder at the Irish Kennel Club dog show in Dublin later this month.

We have two cats already so just want to discuss prior to introducing someone new into a house where the cats reign supreme! I have searched the forums about this, and it doesn't seem like a big issue - given time and patience I hope the cats and dog will eventually become one big happy family.

Will keep you posted.

Annmarie

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
Re: Hello from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 10:33:43 AM »
Hello and welome to COL :)

Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do!

Rachel xxx
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 10:35:33 AM »
Hi and welcome to COL

What part of Ireland are you in? We used to live in Bray, Co Wicklow until 18 months ago when Steve's work brought us back to UK. Still miss all our Irish friends etc.

Offline Annmarie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 10:47:03 AM »
Hi Annette,

We are living in Clontarf, which is a North Dublin subarb right beside the sea. Beautiful area, lots of walks and a large back garden, on a sunny day we can just about see Bray!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 10:48:33 AM »
Beautiful.

Lots of lovely walking for your dog when you get him/her!

Might have to arrange a COL meet up!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 11:14:20 AM »
Hi There

Heres a picture of our Cocker Jessie and our Kitten Hodge...as you can see no issues there but Hodge came second and thinks he's a dog lol....Jessie is 2 and half and Hodge is 7 months old

This is our previous cat Mylo - we lost him in November last year and he was here when we got the dogs. They never snuggled up together like Hodge and the girls do but they became freinds and would lie on the floor next to each other...

It probably took 2 or 3 months for them to get to like each other as having 2 young pups and an old cat wasn't the best combination but we always made sure Mylo had an escape route and we NEVER let the dogs chase him.

I am sure all will be OK...get a copy of Gwen Baileys 'The Perfect Puppy' as this is a fab book and helped me no-end thru the early days!!

Oh and Welcome to COL !

Cheers

Janey

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 12:50:21 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 06:22:13 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :blink:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline flossysmum

• Limited Member
    • Abilou Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 06:26:35 PM »
Hello, welcome to COL :D

Enjoy the forum :blink:
xxx Love Abi, Flossy, Charlie, Amber, Bertha and Ginny xxx

Offline Annmarie

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 09:00:18 AM »
Hi Flossysmum,

I have just been on your site, beautiful dogs, I would like to have a blue roan cocker also.

Thank you to all for such a friendly welcome, I bought "The Perfect Puppy" this weekend, looks like a great book, really informative.

Annmarie

Offline Bluebird

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 10:22:33 AM »
Welcome to COL

We have a 6 month old puppy (Jenny) and a 10 year old cat (Katie).  Katie is not the friendliest of cats but she tolerates Jenny and tends to stay out of her way most of the time.  Jenny on the other hand thinks Katie is wonderful and always wants to play with her.  Its really funny to see them together because they will sit about a foot from each other and Katie will be swiping her paw towards Jenny (though never close enough to get her - just a warning I think) and now Jenny copies her and does pretend paw swipes as well.  There doesn't seem to be any genuine agression from either of them but I doubt they will ever be good friends either. 

We do use a stair gate in our house as we decided that to be fair to Katie we would let her have peace upstairs whenever she wants (she can get through the gate) and Jenny has free run of downstairs.

Good luck with getting your puppy.

Lynn

Offline Annmarie

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 11:52:33 AM »
Hi Lynn,

Many thanks for your reply. We will put a stair gate in place for exactly the same reasons, our cats will need a little sanctuary! The cats sleep in the kitchen, when the puppy comes, the cats can sleep in our living room, they will really enjoy that. In fact, they can't understand why they can't live in the spare room - "there is a bed and there is no-one sleeping here, why can't it be our room" seem to be their attitude, any chance the door is left open and they are straight in there.

At the moment, we have two neutered female cats, myself and my partner, ie female oriented household. Could anyone in a simlilar situation advise whether a male or female cocker would be suited to our household? I will ask these questions when I meet with the breeders at the Dublin dog show, though I would like to hear others experiences.

Many thanks
Annmarie

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 07:58:54 PM »
Don't think it will make much difference to be honest. The gender difference isn't very marked in cockers anyway. I'd just go with what you can get and/or your preference.

When we stumbled upon Buddy's litter there were only 2 boys left, all the others were gone. Not too bad as we only had a boy's name anyway! ;)

Offline Sarah/fernando

• Site Member
  • Milo
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 07:15:15 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL.  You will find the help and advice on here very valuble. Its an excellent site.   :blink:

Sarah and Milo  X
Sarah & Milo X

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 10:48:05 AM »
Hello and Welcome!

Hope you find your bundle of fun soon!!   ;)
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee