Author Topic: Hello from the Midwest.  (Read 1303 times)

nightshade

Hello from the Midwest.
« on: February 27, 2006, 03:05:17 PM »
Greetings and Salutations to all.  I have been poking around this site for a month.  We unexpectedly welcomed our new 2 yr old with no real chance for me to research the breed.  I have gotten some excellent advice from everyone and I would just like to say thanks.
  I am from the states.  Illinois to be exact.  I adopted a beautiful black Cocker named Dakota almost a month ago.  I hadn't consitered cockers at all.  I really prefer big dogs. We attended the Grand Opening of the New PetsMart store.  They had a local shelter displaying animals that were available.  My kids and I were looking around and came across Dakota.  He had been put up for adoption along with a litter of puppies he had sired with a keeshond.(Thay were woolly and cute)  This volenteer  had one of his pups in her arms and came around to were Dakota's crate was.  He got up on his hind legs and started to whine a little until she braught the pup down closer to him.  He them started to lick the pup and rub his head on the pup as much as he could.   I was amazed at such a loving display from a male dog. I thought if he treats his pups that way,  he will treat mine that way.   I look down and his little, cropped off tail is just going a mile a minute.  Was the cutest thing I ever saw.  To make a long story short, we adopted Dakota. 
 We  have had little bouts with all the issues that come up with shelter dogs but with patience and good advice we have concoured most of them and he  is the lovable clown I didn't know I needed. 
I look forward to talking with everyone.   Nightshade         

Offline Black Angel's

• Site Member
  • Muffin
    • http://www.blackmajestys.com
Re: Hello from the Midwest.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 04:04:44 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL!!!

Iva
Black Majesty-english cocker spaniel & grand basset griffon vendeen kennel

-> www.blackmajestys.com -<

Offline flossysmum

• Limited Member
    • Abilou Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 04:25:10 PM »
Hello, welcome to COL :D

I have 3 cockers caled flossy, sophie and charlie, 2 blue roans and a blue roan and tan :blink:
xxx Love Abi, Flossy, Charlie, Amber, Bertha and Ginny xxx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 06:14:05 PM »
welcome!  i'm so pleased dakota has found a nice home with you!

photo's are compulsary - am looking forward to them! ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 08:30:16 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL.

We sulk if we have to wait too long for photos! ::)

nightshade

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 03:26:17 PM »
Thank you soo much everyone for your warm welcomes.  I am looking for my camera and will be posting pictures asap.  You will all have to forgive me; I don't understand all the "lingo" yet.  I'm sorry. I am still trying to learn.  I want to learn all I can.  I grew up on a farm.  I have never had a pure bred animal before that didn't have hooves.  This whole world is new to me.  I look forward to talking with you all.   

Nightshade

nightshade

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 12:16:27 AM »

Hey everybody, here is my beautiful little boy, Dakota (We call him Kody)  This picture was taken today. 
He had a bath yesterday even though you can't tell now.  He loves to bounce in the yard with the kids.  He also has this thing were he rolls over on his back and puts his feet up.  He looks a lot like a teddy bear. Relly cute but gets him really dirty.

Nightshade

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 10:43:48 AM »
What a stunning little boy  :luv:

Welcome to the forum  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 11:19:42 AM »
Hello and Welcome to COL :D...

What a beautiful boy Dacota is :luv: :luv:.....

Well done to you for taking on a rescue :angel: they give you so much back in return.......

Hope you enjoy the forum :D

Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

nightshade

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 01:43:45 AM »
Letty and Mollycuddles,
   Thank you soo much.  I had never seen a black cocker in real life before.  It was love at first sight.  I wasn't even planning on getting a dog right now. Wasn't going to get an adult. Absolutly did not want a male. They even told me after I filled out the paper work that he was already adopted.  I guess we were just ment to be a family.
   The only problem we had with him was the potty issue.  It took us about 2 weeks to really get the hang of where he wanted to go and where we wanted him to go.  But with patience and tips I got here, he hasn't had any accidents in a week.  I think thats pretty good.  He does howl a little when I leave but other than that he's perfect. :luv: :luv: :luv:   
But I guess I dote too much.  I just feel so lucky to have him.  I grew up on a farm and we weren't really allowed to bond with the animals too much.  We raised animals for food not for companionship.  The dogs and cats had jobs to do. Like I said this is all new to me. 

Nightshade