Author Topic: Waiting!  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Carrie

• Site Member
Re: Waiting!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 08:24:35 AM »
Thanks again for everybodies advice and encouragement. Do I now need to go onto another thread to ask all my questions? If I do can someone please direct me! Noticed Abby uses a puppy pen rather than a crate, haven't seen the pens, would that be as good as a crate? I kow people may have preferences but just need to know the best way forward. Also need to know how best to use the crate or pen, will be reading up more of the 'finer' points of raising our little girl before we get her!

Offline Tracey N

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 12:10:16 PM »
Hi Carrie
I am also due to get my pup soon on Saturday. Like you very excited.
I have got the cage ready with his cosy bed ready at the one end and water bowl at the other.
Like you I had my concerns about getting it but after lots of discussions with other people who have them, I have decided this is the way for us.

Tracey N

Offline Carrie

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 07:12:07 PM »
What size crate? Have read some people get medium 30x22dx24h and some get the larger 36length. We bought the medium size today (30) but although it is big enough not sure whether we should change it and get the bigger one! The doorway is okay for a while but as she grows I wonder if it will be big enough! Thats if she continues to use it! Hope all goes well on Saturday Tracey. Our cage has got a polar bear and a floppy dog in at the moment! Mind they're very well behaved!

Offline Carrie

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »
Well I have a confession to make! Everybody has been really helpful and we picked up Gwen Baileys book, The Perfect Puppy and putting 2 + 2 together with all your comments we realised that because Michael is disabled we would be making a mistake in getting a Cocker. The breed is lovely and we loved the character but realised from things people shared that long term they would not be the right dog for us, we don't have lots of energy! So we decided on a Cavalier, which we picked up last Thursday with his own crate (!) and he is adorable and we have had no bad nights!  We've made the right decision for us and our circumstances but wanted to say thanks to everyone who unknowingly stopped us from making a big mistake, for the dogs sake and ours.

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 01:58:22 PM »
So you don't need initiation into the mad world of Cockers then?   :005:

Hope you enjoy your new arrival - I'm sure you will!
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline Carrie

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 05:18:35 PM »
Thanks but I think we'll leave that to others with more energy but..they are beautiful dogs and if we had found out about them a few years ago, well who knows! However we will now stay in the 'sedate' world of the Cavies!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2006, 05:58:36 PM »
That sounds like a wise decision fo you at this time. They share many of the lovely characteristics of cockers without the high energy levels. They are delightful dogs in my experience. I hope you will have many years of pleasure from her.

P.S. I don't think we would mind you staying around here.

Offline Carrie

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 09:11:51 PM »
Thats really kind of you. Perhaps I could say he's a Cocker in disguise!