Author Topic: Signs of Teething  (Read 1126 times)

Offline The Woolys

• Site Member
Signs of Teething
« on: March 21, 2006, 09:52:25 AM »
Freddy is now nearly 14 weeks old and the last few days he has gone chewing mad, everything that you can imagine.
He has also gone a tiny bit agressive, now is this a sign of teething.

We were talking last night about when we have toothache and all we want to do is curl up in pain, so it must be the same for puppies when they are teething.

What signs do we need to look out for to know that teething has started, we would really appreciate any advice that you have

Thanks
Gill, Dan and Freddy   :D

Offline isla

• Site Member
Re: Signs of Teething
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:21:32 AM »
We gave Jem a puppy teething ring which we put in the freezer whcih really helped. I have two so feel free to PM me and I'll send you one (its never been used bought as I thought I'd lost the other!).

I also gave her rawhide chews and cyberdental chew toys and kongs which detracted her from shoes, my arms, the skirting boards!!! It passes quite quickly so it will be over before you know it.

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 10:38:06 AM »
Barney loved ice cubes having been recommended them on here.

Also pieces of frozen fruit and kongs.

Rachel
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 11:28:50 AM »
Hiya,

Don't worry - all sounds normal to me - Max went through the same at around the same time too! He started chewing & biting things & his breath started smelling 'bloody' & he was scratching at his mouth etc, poor thing!

The good news is that it only lasts a few weeks & generally doesn't bother them too much - he might go off his food a bit & possibly have a bit of an upset tum or runny bot, but nothing too major.

We used to soften Max's dry food, gave him plenty of hard chewy treats & chewable toys to play with & tons of ice cubes - he loved them! We were lucky in that we had a stretch of ok weather when he was teething, so I used to give him frozen ice cubes made with flavoured stock etc which he'd eat & chase around outside on the patio - bit messy for indoors!

You can buy all sorts of puppy teething toys which you freeze & someone recommended a wet, frozen, screwed up flannel which sounded brilliant but Max is a crafty git & when he discovered it wasn't food of any sort, he was disgusted with it!!

Don't be worried if you spot some bits of blood on his toys &/or some of his little teeth either on the floor or embedded in his toys/chews - it's perfectly normal - freaks you out a bit to start with, but it's ok!! We reckon Max must have swallowed most of his - we only ever found a few - we were woken up by the sound of him crunching on something one night & by the time we'd put the light on & checked him, whatever it was had gone, so we reckon that was a tooth too - yuk!! Doesn't seem to do them any harm though!!

Max had one last 'hanger on' towards the end of his teething which was really bothering him - it was so loose & it kept twisting round all over the place & he was rubbing his face on the floor a lot, so we decided to help him out & played a good game of 'tug' with his ropey toy one night & out it popped!! Bless him - he looked almost instantly relieved!!

Oh, one last thing - don't panic if Freddy's new teeth seem to be growing in next to his old ones which haven't fallen out yet - I freaked out when Max had this & took him to the vet who told me it was quite common & they'd only intervene if the old teeth were still there when most of his new adult teeth were in place!! (One of Max's old teeth looked 'dead' - it was grey - again, normal according to the vet - bless her - she must see me coming & think 'over anxious mummy' !!)

;)

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline The Woolys

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 11:43:21 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

So i take it that you think that Freddy  might have started his teething, which is good i think.  He seems to have become a bit aggressive with it, is this normal.  We have seen him rubbing his face but assumed he was rubbing his ears, never thought it wouldbe his mouth.

His breath is definatly smelling abit but not as bad as i have read on here on other posts, maybe its just the start of it all.

We have tried giving him chewy toys, but he prefers arms, hand and legs, can't seem to distract him with anything else.

Is this all normal?

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 12:29:59 PM »
It does all sound normal. Barney started his teething at about this stage but to be honest i think it has only just finished (he is 6 months old).  Keep persevering with the distractions - 14 weeks is still very yound - i think barney was still weeing all over the floor and holding onto our trouser legs at this stage - they do mature quickly and i'm sure i a months time you'll have a much calmer dog.

Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 05:18:23 PM »
I agree - sounds pretty normal - don't worry too much - it'll soon pass - honest!!

When you say 'aggressive' if you mean that he's play-biting etc more than he has been then I think that's probably his teething.

Also, like Rachel says, I can remember Max going through a bit of a 'I'm starting to assert myself' phase at around the same time, so it could well be a bit of that too - Max started hanging off our trouser legs & barking at us when we told him off & ignoring the word 'no!' & generally pushing his luck!!

Plus, I remember he once growled at me when I went to take a hide chew away from him - to this day, it's been the one & only time he's ever done it & I just calmly ignored him & took it away anyway then gave it back again, then repeated it several times & kept doing it with food & toys over the next few days to reinforce the message that I was in control & not him! He's been totally fine ever since - in fact, he's the dopiest, soppiest, most placid, submissive dog you could ever meet - a real wuss sometimes in fact!! I wouldn't have believed it at around 14 weeks though, so hang in there!!!!

;)

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 10:57:55 PM »
He's more than likely play biting. Yes it hurts a lot but its still normal puppy behaviour. There are loads of threads on here re puppy biting.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline The Woolys

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 09:18:24 AM »
Thanks for all your replies

Well on the way home last night i went to Pets at Home and got a set of teething keys and a rawhide shoe, why didn't i think of it sooner he loved them, usually when we get home he is so excited that he barks and bites etc, last night i got home we had a cuddle and went outside for toilets, i gave him the rawhide and he sat there chewing it for about half an hour, it was great.  A much bigger improvement last night, gave him the keys later on and they are like his new best friend, with him everywhere he goes.

He was sick in the night, nothing major, we think it is because we have been soaking his food in milk and it has upset his tummy a litte bit, does this sound about right,  Today we soaked it in hot water and he still woofed it down so fingers crossed that will be better for him.

Well we hope that this is all good, and we don't care if we have to buy a hundred rawhide shoes, if he likes them he can have them lol  anything beats our arms and legs.

This week he is on his own for most of the day as i am at work and OH is on a course about an hour away from home.  I'm going home at lunchtime to feed and toilet him and yesterday he was so pleased when we got home he kept falling over lol  He is being a really good boy, i left the tv on today with some music so he doesn't feel so alone, poor little thing.

Well that is last nights report, lets hope it continues

:D

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 08:42:40 PM »
What a good little chap - he sounds lovely!!   :luv:

The milk might be a bit rich for him, yes - our Max can't tolerate it - gives him the squits!!  :005: (The vet told me once that we could give him weetabix & milk as one of his puppy  meals, but we only tried it twice - it really didn't agree with him at all, bless him!!) 
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Canalturn_Sam

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 08:49:16 PM »

has anyone ever found the milk teeth? i never have from my three, i geuss they get swallowed or something

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 10:00:30 PM »
I've got one of Melody's teeth in an envelope  ph34r :005:

Its one of the back ones that she coughed on this week when she was under the computer desk, I just managed to pick it up in time otherwise she's have eaten it.

So far its been to both my kids classes for show and tell - not sure what the teachers thought  :005:

Poor Melody looks like a little old lady this week cos both her bottom canines fell out - she's all gummy.

I'd say keep giving lots of chews and toys and hopefully he'll prefer them to you.  Melody is 20 weeks now and I can't really remember the last time she nipped or bit us so don't worry it will pass.
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 10:16:12 PM »

This week he is on his own for most of the day as i am at work and OH is on a course about an hour away from home.  I'm going home at lunchtime to feed and toilet him and yesterday he was so pleased when we got home he kept falling over lol  He is being a really good boy, i left the tv on today with some music so he doesn't feel so alone, poor little thing.

Well that is last nights report, lets hope it continues

:D

I'm sure you already know, but don't ever leave Freddy unattended with rawhide chews as they can cause blockages.