Author Topic: First walkies  (Read 568 times)

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
First walkies
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:40:03 PM »
Pringle was able to venture out into the big wide world from today and we have just come back from our first walk.  We just went round the village.  She was a lot braver than I thought.  She wasn't really bothered by cars or lorries and as for any other humans we came across ......... well she just wanted to say hello and love them all!!!  We did not come across any other dogs though.  The one problem I did find was that she kept trying to cut across me either in front of me or behind me so any tips on how to prevent that would be greatly appreciated!!
Ann and Pringle

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
Re: First walkies
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 04:26:45 PM »
I am glad she enjoyed her first walk :)

No advice on teh walking accross you i'm afraid - Barney is terrible at this and he quiet often trips us up!
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 04:37:51 PM »
Aww, brave little doggie, I loved my first walk with Bella, she was completely bomb-proof!

The crossing in front of you and tripping you up thing, you could start teaching her a bit of heelwork - i.e. get her to always walk on the same side all the time, on your left or on your right (doesn't matter which but make sure you're consistant with it). Give her treats as you're going along to encourage her into the correct position - it's early days so have patience with her but it's always good to start early IMO.
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Woppit

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 06:26:23 PM »

Just let her get used to the big wide world a bit before trying to get her to walk right i'd advise. She'll be a lot easier to train to heel etc then. She may even calm down a touch and sop cutting u up so much lol!

Sam
"it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Offline judebt

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 08:42:17 AM »
Congrats! I know you were looking forward to getting out. Roxi would occasionally do the same. I walk roxi on my right hand side and make a point of not letting her cross in front or behind me by correcting her with the lead. As soon as I know she is going to cross me I pull her back beside me and it seems to work. Does she walk well on the lead?? I found roxi walked reasonably well for the first few walks and then once she got used to it she pulls the head of herself. Lets hope you dont have the same problem!!
Enjoy! Judith and Roxi