Author Topic: Help - Toilet Training  (Read 780 times)

Offline Shazzie

• Site Member
Help - Toilet Training
« on: March 22, 2006, 07:02:14 PM »
Hi

I am looking for more help on the toilet training side of things.  I am finding it really wearing that my Taz does not seem to be getting the idea.  No matter how many times I say NO and put him out he still insisits on doing the business inside as well.  Even when I leave the back door open so he can run freely  inside and out he still chooses to go inside. >:D

I have tried newspaper, puppie pads, spray praising you name it and he still doesn't seem to get the idea.  I am putting it down to him being young at the moment but am so tired from all the extra work, on top of 3 kids 2 cats and an adult cocker not much time for anything else.

Also has anyone any suggestions on what disenfectant to use to clean up the mess to get rid of the urge for him to go back without it being harmful to him?

Glad of any advice you can give.

Thanks

:huh:

Offline sarah jane

• Site Member
Re: Help - Toilet Training
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 07:20:51 PM »
sorry no advise but i too am trying to toilet train my 14wk old clumber and i have days were i think she's got it ,and then i think  >:( i'm going to explode ph34r  :005: only jokeing :005: well you get the idea i think they will grow out of it soon enough
Winnie clumber spaniel/ Jasmine,Talula,Eric,Enya cocker spaniels

Offline Sue Metcalfe

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 07:22:03 PM »
Shazzie, how old is Taz?  Sounds like you already have a lot on with kids, cats and another cocker.  Extra stress makes things seem much worse as does feeling tired and there is no doubt about it pups are hard work

We have our second cocker Poppy (who is 15 weeks).  I think she is getting the hang of house training but I also think despite what other say that unless you can devote every minute of every day to the task it does take time, patience (of a saint ;)) and lots of perseverance.

Bramble must have been somewhere near six months before I felt like I didn't have to watch her like a hawk!!  Even now at 3 and a half we still do the praise/treat thing :D

All pups are different and so take each day as it comes, try and be consistent and methodical and don't beat yourself up because little one hasn't got it yet, it will happen eventually.  And don't let the clever clogs out there who say how brilliantly their pups are doing get to you either!! ;) ;)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 08:21:38 PM »
Hes only very young and tbh unless you can devote every minute of the day to a young pup then it will take just that little bit longer. Just keep on being persistant. Take him straoght out after meals, play and on waking and if possible every hour inbetween. Stay out with him and praise him like a loon when he performs. Giving a cue word when hes performing will help, saying something like "wee wees", they soon learn to perform on comand. Just try not to stress out about the inside jobbies, just mop up without telling off. I find at this young age that confining to easy clean places such as kitchens is less stressful, just allowing in the living room when certain that toileting is a bit more hit then miss
Caroline and Alfie

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 02:17:14 PM »
If it is any consolation I am going through the same sort of thing with Pringle who is coming up for 14 weeks old.  Some days we have no accidents at all, she will sit by the door and ask to go out and I think "hurrah, we've really got the hang of it" but that is always short lived.  Take today, it is gorgeous here today so I have made our patio Pringle proof and left the back door open so she can come in and out as she pleases.  I was just about to get my dinner (pate and toast) when she marches in from outside and promptly did a big poo right at my feet, yuk.  But hey, it was good for the diet as the pate looked a little less appealing after that!!!!! 
Ann and Pringle

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 02:31:12 PM »
It can take a while, and remember, they can't hold on for long once their little puppy brain gets the message to "go" that's more or less it for some of them!

Best thing for cleaning the accidents is diluted biological washing liquid. I used to buy the "value" one, and dilute it into a spray bottle which made it all so much easier and quicker to use. I think the idea is that any other cleaner just encourages them to go on the same spot again, whereas the bio gets rid of whatever smell attracts them.

Whatever the theory, it seemed to work for us eventually.

Try not to get stressed by it, just learn to recognise the pre-stoop positions and be ready to stop them before he starts and whisk him outside.

Offline Shazzie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 06:49:30 PM »
Thanks for all your encouragement and advice.  Taz will be 12 weeks old this Saturday and I suppose I am still forgetting that he is very very young and has no control over his bladder at this stage.  I can ususally catch the poo's as he starts to circle if I am in the room but sometimes its just not possible.

Any idea what the average age is for them to be able to ask to go out?

Shazzie

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 08:09:21 PM »
I dont think there is an "average" all pups are different - just like babies.

I was lucky with Alfie, I got him in early summer, I was home all day and had no other distractions so he was asking to go out very quickly and was clean within about three weeks. It certainly would have been a different story if it was winter and I had children and other things going on.

Once hes going out on walks, things will get easier, just stick at it.
Caroline and Alfie