Author Topic: 2nd Dog  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Logan

• Site Member
2nd Dog
« on: April 15, 2006, 11:45:55 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm the owner of Clunie, who is due to turn 4 on 10th June this year.  I (well, more than) contemplating another dog this year - a miniature schnauzer - as a companion to my darling pet (and my boyfriend's "own" dog).

The reason I am sending a message is to ask advice.  I have been a member here since I got Clunie, 4 years ago, but I haven't logged on since we moved house due to lack of computer/time but I still consider this the best place for advice/friendship on the web, and hope to renew old acquaintances (and hopefully participate in cocker days out!).

I would like advice on this matter as my Clunie is the most (equal with my boyfriend - he might read this!) important thing in my life and I would never intentionally do anything that would distress her.  She is the most loving, gentle animal I have ever known and I have grown up around many dogs. She is fantastic with my parent's lab, Fraoch, and loves her company.  She snuggles into her for reassurance at all opportunities, and my ideal situation would be to get a pup that would grow into her life-long friend and companion and my boyfriend's own dog (as Clunie is loving with everyone, but definitely my dog).

However, saying that, she is relatively demanding of attention and I know would be jealous of a new-comer at least for a while.  She'd never be aggressive but she is prone to the odd 'huff' or sulk.  The reason I would be going for a Miniature Schnauzer rather than another cocker is partly due to my boyfriend's preference (although as with children who get dogs, I anticipate being the main carer) and partly because I would not want a "second Clunie" but another dog who would gel with her but with different personality.  I am used to the grooming issue and the barking issue as I dealt with these when I first got Clunie, and we are prepared fro the exercise/training/agility classes that come with these small, but intelligent dogs.

I have been investigating breeders for some time and have found the ideal one - one who asks me more questions than I do, and produces few, but well balanced pups.  The litter was born on 10th April, and I am due to visit (with Clunie) in a few weeks.  I would be buying a male pup as I have been told that there is less scope for dominance struggles, and introducing Clunie gradually.  Maybe pup in kitchen in morning, Clunie with run of house (I'd be home for an hour or two at lunch - for walkies) then Clunie and pup in kitchen for 3 hours in the afternoon then we'd both be home for the evening.

I've been told to try and make the pup seem like a good thing for Clunie - by increasing attention/treats when the pup is about an minimising when nor.  This is what I would want to do, but I am VERY concerned about Clunie not being happy about the new arrival at all, and her changing from the perfect dog that she is into a withdrawn or unhappy one.

PLEASE could you give me some advice as we have our hearts set on a new addition to our family, but could not live with ourselves if we upset our Clunie, long-term.

Thanks so much,

Gill

Ps. I have spent the last two hours trying to catch up with you all (very sad on a Saturday night I know) but I am so pleased to see how well everyone is doing.  Gill - your boys look spectacular I am so pleased Clunie's cousin has grown into his own (but not at the withers, just like  Clunie who is also a good inch too short!!!!)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Re: 2nd Dog
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 07:43:44 AM »
Hi Gill

I don't think you will have any trouble at all introducing a little Schnauzer puppy with Clunie - if she takes to snuggling up to the Lab for comfort I think she would more than likely nurse the Schnauzer puppy  ;) :D

My advice for when you bring the puppy home would be to put the puppy in the back garden if you have one or somewhere out of sight of Clunie and let Clunie go and find the new puppy.  I have done this with all my new additions and the older dogs have always been really excited at finding a new friend in the garden and always run back inside with the new puppy in tow  :D ;)   This way you are not thrusting the new addition right onto them by making them take to him/her etc. 

HTH

Dessie
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 08:32:24 AM »
Hi
I am fairly new to this and a bit of interloper as I don't have a cocker (yet!)
However, I was delighted to read your message cos we already have 2 dogs and it will be the cocker (we are on a waiting list for next year, so being a bit premature here!) who will be the new one!
Our dogs are Meg the Yorkie who is nearly 7 and Suki the Saluki cross who has just turned 1.  I had the same concerns as you when we got Suki and all was fine. I have the same worries already about introducing a cocker puppy next year - but thought the reply you got was a good idea.  We have always done it the other way round and bought the new pup in to meet the older dogs - but next time will try the "finding new friend in garden" approach.  What a lovely thought!   (Maybe even get small son up in bedroom with camera at the ready??? just a thought!)
Anyway good luck and I am sure it will all be fine in the end.
2 dogs are great fun, and 3 even more so!  (We lost our Westie last September so did have 3 then!)
Confused yet?  I am!
Good luck. :005:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 10:14:26 AM »
Hiya!

I'll be very interested in all the response to this one as we're also considering getting a companion at some point in the future for our now 11mth old male cocker Max!!  :D

We feel exactly the same as you about not wanting to affect his lovely placid calm loving confident happy nature - he's such a little sweetheart!   :luv: We've pretty much decided it'll be another cocker but we're dithering about when to do it, male vs female, puppy vs rescue etc!  ;)

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:11:22 AM »
As you may know, we are hoping to get a cocker puppy next year to join our Yorkie and Lurcher.  However, we nearly got kidnapped by a springer rescue bitch instead.  The lady who runs our training class also has a boarding kennels and someone she knows needed a good home for her 10 month old springer bitch.  We saw pix and fell in love.... Luckily (or unluckily - depending on how you view this!) she was rehomed the very morning that I phoned for more information.
However, the new home she went to are under strict instructions to return her to said boarding kennels if she doesnt get along with the GSD of the household - and then I might get a call.  I will be torn to bits having to decide what to do - rescue/cockerpuppy next year????????
Arrrrggghhh
Still, haven't heard anything and it has been 5 days now (not that I'm counting or anything you understand) so guess we are back to original (sensible) plan A and waiting till next year...
 :D
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 10:56:39 AM »
Hi Gill

I don't think you will have any trouble at all introducing a little Schnauzer puppy with Clunie - if she takes to snuggling up to the Lab for comfort I think she would more than likely nurse the Schnauzer puppy  ;) :D

My advice for when you bring the puppy home would be to put the puppy in the back garden if you have one or somewhere out of sight of Clunie and let Clunie go and find the new puppy.  I have done this with all my new additions and the older dogs have always been really excited at finding a new friend in the garden and always run back inside with the new puppy in tow  :D ;)   This way you are not thrusting the new addition right onto them by making them take to him/her etc. 

HTH

Dessie

I often do something similar with any foster dogs. Someone who doesn't live in the house comes round the side gate with whichever dog I'm going to look after, once in my two are let out and generally they fuss the person who's just come in, so when dog is let off to sniff round yard they're usually ignored!

There will often be a settling in period where you wonder if you did the right thing/tear your hair out. Mine grumble for Wales but eventually they realise they have to share and do so willingly. However, another dog may not snuggle up with yours even though the lab does---its not that they don't get on its just each dog is different (bit like humans) and don't always want to snuggle up (I know this upsets some that this doesn't happen). My two love each other to bits but don't do the snuggle up together thing.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Logan

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 01:10:37 PM »
Just to keep you all up to date!

We pick up our Miniature Schnauzer puppy, Rupert, on the 3rd June.  Clunie and I went to meet the pups and their mum last Saturday.  They all got on really well (although the pups didn't really do very much as they were only 4 weeks old!) so I'm really looking forward to getting him home.   :luv:

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »
Fab news!!

I love the name Rupert too - considered it for Woody!

Can't wait to see piccies!!   :D
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee