Author Topic: Help introducing tortoise to cocker!!!!  (Read 957 times)

Offline georgie05

• Site Member
Help introducing tortoise to cocker!!!!
« on: April 16, 2006, 10:22:01 PM »
Any ideas about introducing our 50 year + tortoise that has just come out of hibernation to my excitable 7 month old puppy Georgie?   Fred has had his first day out today after sleeping for almost 6 months (its been pretty cold for him this winter!)  Poor thing has had no peace today with Georgie's constant barking every time he moved. >:D   Fred really doesn't look that bothered in his years he has probably seen and heard everything.   :005:  Only good thing is the rabbit has had a day off from being chased today!

If anyone has had similar experience would love to hear. 

Tracy

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Re: Help introducing tortoise to cocker!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 10:30:05 PM »
Thats so weird. I went round a friends house for lunch today and she has a 4 year old tortoise.

I was thinking about getting one, but didn' think it would mix well with Jazz.

I have visions of Jazz pawing at the shell, and the tortoise never getting to poke its head out.

Am interested if anyone else has both?
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 10:41:59 PM »
When I was a kid, we had two tortoises with 2 dogs :005:  TBH I don't remember any problems with them, I think the dogs used to think the tortoises where rocks, that slowly moved :lol:  They did however take a keen interest in our hedgehog, they never learnt that you get your nose spiked if you sniff them ::)

Wow 50 years old though, how long do they live for?

Just noticed I think this thread is in the wrong place, i'm sure someone will move it for you ;)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 08:37:43 AM »
Hi,
Wow 50 years old! I always wanted a tortoise.

I have always had pets free in the garden ie ducks and rabbits and every new pup has had to learn to leave them alone. The trick is persistence in your training as you would for every thing else. I used to go out with the pup every time they went in the garden and I would be setting the limits, very soon they will not even bother.

Best of luck ;)
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 06:02:08 PM »
I had a tortoise (called Terry!) as a child & we had him for 45 years!!!
The dogs we had at the time tended to pester Terry but he would just hiss & withdraw into his shell so after a while the dogs would get bored & ignore him. A tortoise doesn't make a very interesting playmate for a dog!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 10:43:42 AM »
I had a Cavalier King Charles with a tortoise and I don't think the Cav even noticed it. My friend has a staffi and a boxer with a tortoise and again the dogs are just not interested - hope it all goes OK with them.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx