Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3053 times)

Offline anne

• Site Member
Hello
« on: May 01, 2006, 06:44:49 PM »
hi my name is anne and am also a new member. not really sure how to get round this site but hope this is a good start. i live in aberdeenshire and am 40 something. i have a 3 month old black cocker called millie and she is absolutely adorable. she is not completly black as she has a white patch on her neck. when i figure out how to pop in photo i will post one. i am at the moment waiting for baby number 2 who is 4 wks old at the moment so going for first visit in 2 wks. can't wait. i just adore my baby and as you all probably do, she is spoilt rotten and totally the boss. she is the class swot at pupopy playgroup and such a show off. hope to get to know as much of you as possible. bye for now anne

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Re: hello
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 08:48:51 PM »
Hi Anne and welcome to the forum. I've given your post it's own thread as it might have got lost where you posted it.  :blink:

I hate to sound negative, especially as it's your first post, but do you think it's a good idea to be adding a new pup when your current one is still only 3 months old ? The usual advice is to wait until your first dog has reached maturity - Millie sounds like a wee angel but things can quickly change when they hit adolesence, as many of us on here have found out. A reptuable breeder would normally be reluctant to home a puppy to a household with an existing young pup, unless the new owner had a lot of experience with dogs. You might find this article from our Cocker Questions section useful ...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=2017.0

I look forward to seeing photos of Millie.  :blink:

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
Re: Hello
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 08:50:12 PM »
Hello and welome to COL   :D

Look forward to seeing piccies
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:56:47 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL

I share Colin's views on getting number two so soon! I think you will have your hands very full.

Look forward to seeing photos of Millie soon!

Offline JoanneM

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 09:21:28 PM »
Hi Anne, welcome to the site its sooo addictive!!  :lol:

Have you picked a name for your new pup yet?

Offline anne

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 09:34:59 PM »
have plenty of time and patience for another one and don't mind the hard work. haven't thought of a name yet. sometimes you need to see the puppy first. millies name was just pefect for her. i can unddrstand reluctance to have 2 so close together but a little hard work and love and patience will hopefully see me through. if not there will be a lot of heeeeeeeelp messages posted here.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 10:01:29 PM »
Hello and welcome  :D.

Cayley.

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 11:15:25 PM »
have plenty of time and patience for another one and don't mind the hard work. haven't thought of a name yet. sometimes you need to see the puppy first. millies name was just pefect for her. i can unddrstand reluctance to have 2 so close together but a little hard work and love and patience will hopefully see me through. if not there will be a lot of heeeeeeeelp messages posted here.

I keep saying this but I have never had a problem with 2 puppies together. Maybe I am just lucky. But I actually find 2 puppies easier than one. The last two I had together were Zac and Sophie there was only 5 weeks between them. They were just absolutley fab together. Zac started his obedience training about 2months before Sophie then when he graduated to the next level I started Sophie. However she was so quick to learn she soon joined him and they ended up doing some things togetherbut they would behave fine individually.

I never had a night of crying from either of them. Never a thing chewed that shouldn't have been and no squabbling. Sophie was house trained in double quick time 'cos she followed ZAc. They had an excellent bond together but they did not fail to bond with me and did as I asked them when I asked them.

The only problem i had was Zac greiving when Soph died. One of the reasons for getting Floss so quickly.

ZAC & SOPHIE

Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 09:18:58 AM »
Welcome to COL, look forward to seeing your pics once you're more familiar with the forum  :D

I'm in Inverness and have a 6 month old blue roan girlie called Melody. 
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 10:01:53 AM »
Hi and welcome to COL

Millie sounds lovely  :luv: but I have to admit I agree with Colin with regards to having two puppies at the same time..

I live in Edinburgh and I'm owned by Alfie, a 4 month old blue roan working cocker who keeps me busy enough at the moment!!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 01:36:52 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL. I have a working cocker called Fern who is nearly 7 years old. Before her we had had two springer pups from the same litter. Something else which is supposed to be inadvisable  ph34r. Yes it is hard work - especially with training - as you need to do some of it individually. They did have the occasional spat for top dog position during adolescence -being the same age and sex, but we left them to sort it out between themselves. We couldn't have wished for a better pair of dogs in the end.  :angel:  :angel:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline janey

• Site Member
  • it wasn't me,honest
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 01:38:59 PM »
hi anne and welcome.we have molly, she is black and will be 11 weeks young tomorrow.look forward to seeing pics of millie  :D
love Janey and Molly xxx

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 01:55:56 PM »
I keep saying this but I have never had a problem with 2 puppies together. Maybe I am just lucky. But I actually find 2 puppies easier than one. The last two I had together were Zac and Sophie there was only 5 weeks between them.

Have you had pairs of young pups together several times then ? If so, was the experience as easy as it was with Zac and Sophie ?

Although I've never owned 2 pups together ( and would never dream of doing so) I have met a few people who have - in all cases they had difficulties with training and fighting. There was a pair of Working Cocker litter brothers at Misty's training classes that both ended up in rescue - in one of their fights one dog lost an eye and half an ear.  :-\

Anne - if you decide to go ahead with getting the second pup I really hope it works out for you. I also hope the breeder will spend some time with you going over the possible difficulties you may face and offer on-going support and backup if things don't turn out as well as you hope .  :blink:

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 02:05:49 PM »
Welcome to COL.  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 02:34:21 PM »
I keep saying this but I have never had a problem with 2 puppies together. Maybe I am just lucky. But I actually find 2 puppies easier than one. The last two I had together were Zac and Sophie there was only 5 weeks between them.

Have you had pairs of young pups together several times then ? If so, was the experience as easy as it was with Zac and Sophie ?

:

Yes we have and yes it was OK. I gave Zac  & Sophie  as an example ' cos they were my most recent.

We had 2 Cairn terrier pups Pepi and Pippa, little sisters they rubbed along very nicely. We got them at 8 weeks old by accident as Pip was bought by my gran and she couldn't cope with a puppy. So we took her on  a week later and she  settled quite quickly. They lived to a ripe old age and were very happy and placid. My Mum has Yorkies and she got Sam and Jeni within 6 months of each other and they were fine, she only had problems when she got Josh 2 yrs later and he and Sam didn't get on well and had the odd scrap. I think it was a dominance thing.

I can also say my next door neighbour has Fin and Tash, 2 Jap Spitz who they got at about the same time as Zac and Soph with approx the same age gap. They were great too. They also went to the same training class as Zac and Soph although Fin did better than Tash. They have since had a litter of puppies together of which Fin was a little jealous as they grew. As soon as they went to new homes they were  back to being best buddies.

So yes I beleive it does work, as I have never had a bad experience. Of course you have to be prepared for some hard work as you do with any pup. Maybe it depends on how you approach the situation, or just the puppies' involved temprements. Again all dogs and owners are different some may work some may not. I can only speak from experience and I am an experienced  family pet dog owner,not a trainer or a breeder. I have had dogs around me for 40+ years as a child and adult and I can only speak from personal experience.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver