Author Topic: Fishy Smell?!  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Fishy Smell?!
« on: May 05, 2006, 04:33:08 PM »
I am going to see 'The Rocky Horror Show' tonight dressed as Magenta if that means anything to you. ( Basically a french maid with a long purple/magenta wig! ). I tried the outfit on earlier and Casper and Reuben ( 13 weeks old today ) didn't bat an eye lid.
However, my 8 year old son has just come into the room wearing it ( don't ask! ) and the dogs have gone absolutely berserk! They both barked like mad. Reuben did approach him after he had taken the wig off - still barking but wagging his tail.
Casper on the other hand barked like mad, backed into a corner and produced a very fishy smell! I'm not sure if he weed a little or not. But the fishy smell is lingering!
Any explanations?!
And why did he get scared by my son dressing up, but not by me?

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
Re: Fishy Smell?!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 04:42:45 PM »
Poor Casper :luv:

Sound like he's emptied his anal glands...puppies will do this in fear sometimes... ;)
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 04:46:05 PM »
Yup - that's exactly what he's done. Don't worry about it it's nothing to worry about - other than it does stink  :005: One of our cats was prone to doing this too >:(
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 04:51:37 PM »
Sorry forgot to add also the reason why Casper was frightened ... your son must have approached in an odd way...well he was dressed as a french maid  ph34r :shades:
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 04:56:17 PM »
Not being up on a dog's anatomy - I assume this is totally different to emptying his bowels? I did search for mess as the smell was so strong.
Perhaps I should post a photo of my son in full get up, then you could see what scared them!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 09:10:42 PM »
As a puppy, Molo emptied his glands all over my foot the first time he was properly put in his place by an older dog  :005:

The smell hangs around for a while - I think its just a sort of clear watery liquid that smells horrid  ph34r

Enjoy Rocky Horror  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 10:56:11 AM »
Can I just go back to the fishy smell business.  Herbie got hold of my sons cuddly toy earlier, I took it off of him and it really smelt of fish.  Then my son sniffed Herbie's breath and he said it was smelly like fish.  This happened a week or so ago too.  Why does he get this fishy smell from his breath, could it be his anal glands or would he smell from the other end?  OH seems to think he is eating his poo, I've not seen him do this and can't see why it would make him smell fishy.

If his anal glands are full and irritating him, he will lick and bite at his back end so the smell will get transferred to his mouth.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 05:07:12 PM »
Miche
Do you want me to send my son round in full costume so Herbie will empty them?! :005:

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 05:14:54 PM »
I have split this into two topics as it had gone way of topic. The Rocky Horror element is now in Photo's Misc.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 07:30:18 PM »
Can I just go back to the fishy smell business.  Herbie got hold of my sons cuddly toy earlier, I took it off of him and it really smelt of fish.  Then my son sniffed Herbie's breath and he said it was smelly like fish.  This happened a week or so ago too.  Why does he get this fishy smell from his breath, could it be his anal glands or would he smell from the other end?  OH seems to think he is eating his poo, I've not seen him do this and can't see why it would make him smell fishy.

If his anal glands are full and irritating him, he will lick and bite at his back end so the smell will get transferred to his mouth.

I have not seen him licking and biting himself but I will keep an eye on him now I know what to look out for so thanks :D
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx