Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Spangles

• Site Member
« on: May 16, 2006, 09:16:54 PM »
Hi just joined,

We have a 10 month orange roan cocker, called Lottie, who has taken over our house since she arrived (in the nicest possible way) :luv:

Love her so much I want another one but don't think OH will agree as for some strange reason he thinks she is the devil in disguise  >:D

Love me, love my dogs

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 10:08:34 PM »
Hi and welcome to COl. I have a working cocker called Fern who is nearly seven years old. Take my advice and get Lottie through her adolescent stage before you get another. Life will be that much easier when she is about 2 and she will then be a role model for your new pup. (It'll give you a little more time to work on OH too ph34r :005:)
Just seen you have added a pic. Lottie is a real sweetie. :luv:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Archieboy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 10:17:10 PM »
Hi and welcome, me and archie are newbies too, so far I am finding this is a lovely site with lots of information.

I love Lottie she is beautiful, I too have a black working cocker who is 11 months, I love him so much I really want another, OH is breaking, a few more days and I will have cracked it ;) :005:

Hope you enjoy the site, I only joined two days ago and can't get off it, so much on here :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:15:44 AM »
Hi and welcome to COL  :D

Lottie looks like a real sweetie  :luv:

I have Alfie, a 5 month old blue roan working cocker. Is Lottie a worker too? She looks a bit like a working type from the photos  :luv:

I agree with what Happydog has said about getting another dog - it's much better to wait until they are at least 18 months to 2  years before introducing another puppy.. It seems like a long time but it gives you longer to train Lottie so she's a perfect big sis! I'm currently doing the same thing with Alfie so I know how long it can seem  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Spangles

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 09:31:41 AM »
Thanks for all your advice, as much as I love Lottie I know it is too soon to get another yet, she needs to be an only child for a good while yet - I was just trying to point out how much I love her and as for my other half he thinks she is a devil in disguise in the nicest possible way ( he can't believe how mischievious she is sometimes)

She is an absolute cutie though and I have waited a long time for a cocker - first dog was first husband choice (German Shepherd) and second dog was second husband choice (Staffy) loved them both but Cockers rule!!   She has been an absolute dream from day one and settled in without any problems at all including house training (which I was dreading as I hadn't had a pup for nearly 20 years).

Do all Cockers have to carry something around with them - I cannot drop a single thing or it is straight in her mouth, including dirty underwear that I am trying to put in the washing machine and trying to get my OH dirty socks back is like a military operation :005:
Love me, love my dogs

Offline Archieboy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 10:31:54 AM »

Do all Cockers have to carry something around with them - I cannot drop a single thing or it is straight in her mouth, including dirty underwear that I am trying to put in the washing machine and trying to get my OH dirty socks back is like a military operation :005:

yes yes yes yes yes, Archie does this too, I am so glad someone elses dog does it, Archie gets really frustrated if he can't find something to put into his mouth when he says hello to someone, especially me and his dad when we just come in.  I have to put things in his crate so he has something ;) and doing the washing is a nightmare :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 11:13:31 AM »
Yep! Alfie isn't happy unless he's carrying/dragging something around with him, he's not fussy, paper, pens, socks, underwear, plastic bottles, the cordless phone... anything will do  :lol:

My OH adores him but sometimes I think he wonders what he let himself in for when Alfie's in a particularly boisterous mood... unfortunately becoming more and more common now as we approach the dreaded kevin the teenager stage  ph34r

My previous dog was a german shepherd and although she was twice the size I'm sure she didn't cause half as much mischief  :005: :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 11:14:38 AM »
Welcome to COL  :D

Lottie is a doll  :luv:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline SARAHLP

• Site Member
  • Maisy at 4 weeks
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 11:46:58 AM »
Hello & welcome!!! Lovely photos!! :luv:  I have a black cocker spaniel who is 5 months & one week x
xxx Love Sarah & (crazy) Maisy xx

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 01:13:43 PM »
Welcome to COL, Lottie is a honey  :luv: :luv:

We have a blue roan pup called Melody and she's coming up for 7 months.  She's always upto mischief too and OH can't believe what she gets up to either.  Before we got her he'd agreed to having a dog if I took everything to do with it.  He said he might walk her etc but he wasn't to be expected to do it.  Now though she's a daddy's girl and he loves her.  I often catch him cuddling her and holding her like a baby  ::)
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 11:27:26 AM »
welcome to col!

lottie is one gorgeous working cocker....i haven't shown jarvis, as he's meant to be saving himself for flozac's floss...but boy, he would be verrrryyyy interested ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 11:35:21 AM »
welcome to COL Lottie is lovely :luv:
We have *** working cocker, white and black and she * wks, but she gone out for the day!  :005: Friend wants a cocker too but OH not too sure so they've borrowed *** for a few hours. (I'm meant to be cleaning and cooking in peace, but needed a fix of COL) :005:

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 12:18:16 PM »
She looks likea devil in disguise, doesn't she?

Hi and welcome to COL. We have Buddy, 16 month old blue roan.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 12:50:04 PM »
Yes! That's part of what they were bred for after all. As Fern is not worked I trained her early on to fetch the post every morning. (The fetching was easy, the 'fetch it here', 'sit' and 'leave' all worked eventually as she always gets a biscuit as a thank you). She still does it nearly 7 years on. It's her 'job'.
 She has a rope which she has had from a pup and she carries that around when she 'feels the need' these days. The socks will always be a tempation though  >:D  ph34r
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories