Author Topic: When do puppies stop growing?  (Read 32298 times)

Offline Ploppy

• Site Member
When do puppies stop growing?
« on: June 02, 2006, 11:01:04 AM »
I was just wondering when puppies roughly stop growing height wise and weight wise.  Does anyone know?  I have a 5 1/2 month old worker cocker, and she weighs 8.4kg at the moment.

Offline ali

• Site Member
Re: When do puppies stop growing?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 08:32:39 PM »
i'll be interested to see what the general answer to your question is. afraid i can't help as my pup is just 5 months old but he's a worker and weighs in at 12.3 kgs so quite a bit heavier (though no one has told me that he looks overweight yet). we haven't noticed much change in his overall appearance for a few weeks now but i'm sure there's still plenty of growing time left.
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 08:41:21 PM »
Yes, I've been waiting for someone to answer this question too! My working cockers are 4 months old and weigh 8.5 and 9.4 kgs.
But it looks like those COLers with grown-up dogs don't want to share the secret with us!  :'(

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 08:57:35 PM »
It's a question that's often asked on here but there is no definitive answer ;) Generally most Cockers will have done most of their growing upwards by about 8-9 months but some will continue to grow a little after this time.  While most dogs will reach their maximum height well before a year old, many will continue to "fill out" in the body after this age which is all part of the maturing process. As far as weight goes, this varies with each puppy - there is no set weight that a puppy should be at a particular age as they all develop and grow at different rates.
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 08:57:48 PM »
It varies - but any time between 8 - 10 months is about right ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Mollie.Ladie

• Site Member
  • Mmmm I love cockers!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 09:02:48 PM »
Well....my Mollie is 2 years old and about 32 pounds...so that is umm..about 14kg right?  Well she stopped growing um when she was about 1 year and a half...and shes abit short for a cocker..lol and that is all i know....even though while I was typing this Pammy and Jane both came up with suitable answers for you..lol:) that should do.
Mollie&Christina

*Love at first sight.!

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »
Thank you.  :luv:
I must say, I have seen lots of cocker spaniels since I've been walking mine and I'm amazed by the vast differences in size! We met a 3 year old bitch this morning who was about the same size as my biggest 4 month old pup! And then we've met one that is more like a springer. So I appreciate that you can only give an answer as a rough guide, but it's still nice to have a rough idea!

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 10:01:38 PM »
Ben is a worker at 11 months and weighs 14.95 kilos (just had him weighed for his worming).  I think he stopped growing a month ago but I met some walkers today who swear he's grown taller!  I think the growth rate will slow down now and he will just fill out.  Looking at a photo of his dad I think his head and chest will get broader but hopefully that will be it!  He is a big lad but his ribs can still be felt easily and his waist is definately there  :lol:

Offline denisec

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 10:47:09 PM »
Ghillie will be one this month and she weighs 10.49kg, she is quite petite and she eats like a horse  :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 11:03:32 AM »
1 year old next week, working cocker, 12.7 kgs....

he's muscling out but i don't think in height/length that he's changed in the last two months...and his weight hasn't either, although he is getting really defined muscles.

he's fairly petite i guess for a boy worker....
helen & jarvis x

Offline isla

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 11:04:10 PM »
Jem was fully grown at 8 months and weighs 10kg. She quite petite

Offline judebt

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 02:03:28 PM »
Roxi will be 6 months this week and i dotn think she has grown much more in the past month. She is a petit dog, quite a fine frame. I think she is sround 10kg at the mo. dont think she will get much bigger though, perhaps just fill out a bit more??
Judith and Roxi

Offline Lumi

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 09:45:55 AM »
Interesting read.

Dyl was 7kg at 13 weeks although he looks very lean.

Am I right in thinking that show cocker pups/dogs in general are not as lean as workers?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 10:59:46 AM »
Interesting read.

Dyl was 7kg at 13 weeks although he looks very lean.

Am I right in thinking that show cocker pups/dogs in general are not as lean as workers?

i think workers can be a bit leggier giving them a leaner look, and in general show cockers have a lot longer silkier hair which tends to make them look slightly bigger than their worker cousins...

apologies if i'm completely way off beam here - don't mean to offend any show cocker owners...just how it looks to me.

helen & jarvis x

Offline maximus

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 11:12:10 AM »
 :D max(worker) is 9 months old and weighs around 15 kg, i think his bones stopped growing about a month or two ago and he has filled out nicely over the last few weeks, i posted about three weeks ago that we were worried he was a bit thin but he seems to have fattenend up a little and gained about 2 kg he looks far healthier now.  ;)