Author Topic: First proper trip out.  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
First proper trip out.
« on: June 04, 2006, 07:54:57 PM »
We took Sydney and Harry out on their new leads today proper first walk. We decided to take the advise and wait a bit longer after the second jab, then i needed time to get over my op so today was the day. IT WAS BRILLIANT. They were so good, not too sure about being on a lead though but got the hang of it. I desperately wanted to let them off lead but OH is such a panick merchent and I had to really put my foot down and throw a mardy to get my own way. We went on to this huge patch of grass near the park we were at and let them off, they loved it. Sydney is great at fetching his tennis ball and will sit until you throw it for him, Harry is also good but seems to do things in his own sweet time. We were playing when a lovely lady came over with her border collie Dillon she fussed them Dillon played with them they all chased tennis balls and had a brill time and when they were called to us they came every time. We had put them back on the lead to go when they decided to have a little wander we called Sydney to come back and bless him he grabbed Harry's lead in his mouth and came back with him attached. :005: Don't worry i know it won't last but today was just perfect. :luv: :luv: :luv:
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Re: First proper trip out.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 08:25:17 PM »
All our other dogs have been through that terrible "when should I let her off the lead?" syndrome, so with this new puppy (springer spaniel crossed with a labrador) we did some research and decided to just go for it - we let her off on our first walk.  She has been fantastic!  We always take treats with us, and sometimes just make a big fuss of her when she comes back, other times give her a treat.  I know it is really early days, and that there may be a time when she is not this good, but hopefully she will carry on like this.  She adores our other 2 dogs, and if for no other reason, I think she will come back because they do - long may it continue.
I hope you enjoy your pups as much as we are enjoying our new addition!
Good luck. :D
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 10:06:21 PM »
Pleased to hear you had a great time today and that you are up and about already after your op. Hope you didn't mind me advising you to wait before taking your little brothers out for the first time. And I'm really glad for you that no-one took them out before you could join in the fun. I'd have been gutted if I'd missed Casper's and Reuben's first walk!

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 08:10:10 AM »
Thanks Rhona W so am I. it was just so lovely to see them rolling about and playing in a big wide open space chasing tennis balls and coming to us when called I just hope i can convince OH to continue letting them off. My two sound a little similar to yours in that one is ahead of the other Sydney is always a little ahead of Harry in mental development but Harry is a lot bigger in size.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 08:29:56 AM »
Mine too. Casper is 0.9 of a kg heavier than Reuben and a lot bigger/taller all round. But he always takes a little longer to learn things than Reuben. Mind you, he did learn to 'hump' things first!  :005:

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 11:03:37 AM »
Bless him. Second walk in the park this morning same again little walk not keen on lead then onto field to play fetch came back each time then we met a 12 week old weimeramer called tilly the three of them played together so happiliy. Tillys owner loved it because she only has her and she hasn't played with any other puppies. I did detect the lipstick from Harry mind you ph34r.

Offline Lumi

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 03:19:20 PM »
OH saw a little bit of Dyl's lipstick last night when he met a girl spaniel he obviously took a shine too - it's only the second time his has peeped out a bit and he's 14 weeks now. Is that normal?! 

Glad to hear your walks are a success. We go off lead on dartmoor and in neighbouring fields. They really love it don't they?  :D

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 03:28:43 PM »
Yes they much prefer being off lead. The lipstick thing was a bit of a shock he's only 12 weeks old for goodness sake, if it was George well his is always looking for an excuse to make an appearence. Can't wait to go to the coast when they are abit older. Robin Hoods Bay here we come.