Author Topic: walking with lead  (Read 716 times)

Offline banjodav

• Site Member
walking with lead
« on: June 08, 2006, 09:28:56 AM »
Hi,  I have just put the lead on the collar of my little 9 week old Jess.  It is a leather collar and all she wants to do is chew the lead rather than walk round the garden.  I have tried covering it in vinegar as recommended in various books but that did no good.  Any suggestions on what I could do other than buying a chain lead?!
barry and jess

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
Re: walking with lead
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 10:00:05 AM »
I think as with everything new to a puppy, they have to give it a chew to see what it is. Saffie still chews her lead and she is 15 weeks old and will do it when she has had enough of walking and wants to go home for her tea or a drink. It will be because it is new and give Jess a while to come to terms with it as it will me heavy to a 9 week old puppy and will be causing her some discomfort to begin with.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 10:31:08 AM »
Praise her when she stops chewing the lead and give her a titbit.

Fern is also 15 wks and as soon as the lead goes on she chews at it. I just ignore it until she stops and then praise her. I have a web puppy lead for her, a very cheap one as until they stop chewing there is no point in buying a decent lead. She has a puppy collar too which at the rate she growing I'll have to get changed soon as their is only one more hole left to use.

But have FUN with her on the lead and she'll soon forget it's on and stop chewing

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 10:59:20 AM »
I think as soon as i took Saffie into the big wide world she stopped chewing on her lead as there was more interesting things she could be sniffing, chewing and exploring. It is only when we are somewhere she knows that she will chew it or if I drop the lead so she can run about, she turns round and picks up the handle and trots off with it.

Offline redmal

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 12:00:38 PM »
I would say try & get her to stop (distract her?) because my Jasmine STILL chews her lead  >:( every chance she gets, whenever we stop for a second or 2. She is OK while we are moving. I hope she grows out of it when she is older -------shes only 9!!! Actually none of the others do this, its just her "thing" I suppose?? :lol:

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 12:08:07 PM »
It wouldnt be so bad if she watched where she was going while she did it but will trip over something or walk into something as she has her head sideways chewing her lead and shaking the life out of it too!!!

Offline janey

• Site Member
  • it wasn't me,honest
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 07:47:08 PM »
yep,molly chews her lead too,but a minute or two after we leave the house,she just stops.i think its just boredom,waiting to get out of the house while i am checking i have my keys etc.i just ignore it,as it only lasts a few mins.
once you can take jess out,it will probably be much better.i agree with the suggestion of just making do with a cheap lead for now.
love Janey and Molly xxx