Author Topic: Awwwwwh - this is hard!  (Read 1160 times)

Offline SuzieT

• Site Member
Awwwwwh - this is hard!
« on: June 06, 2006, 03:41:43 PM »
Day 3 and the first bark just now!  Thought I would start to try to leave Humphrey for a little while to start with, so he has been downstairs with the run of the kitchen, hall and open crate for the last 10 minutes - can you hear the wailing from here?  Yes, I know, should have done it the first night but I am too much of a softie! 

I will go to him very soon, but am just waiting for him to stop crying so that he does not recognise it as attention on demand.  Almost a grown up bark just then!  This is horrid, isn't it, but I know it will be worth it in the end.  He's sleeping in a box in the bedroom at the moment, because he didn't like the crate at first.  However, he is getting more crate-friendly and had a two hour sleep in it this morning, so slow progress is being made.  The big night move will be challenging in the next few nights - better get the wine in! 

Thanks Lumi about the red eyes - I think you are right, he is absolutely exhausted and is just fighting sleep all the time.  The crate will be a good thing eventually.

Ah, a break in the noise, I will go to him now and repeat process tonight.

Thanks all

xx

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: Awwwwwh - this is hard!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 03:53:41 PM »
Suzie

To help get him used to being handled (and if any discharge is coming from his eyes) if you get chance ( :005: :005:) do wipe them down with warm salt water - gets rid of the gunk nicely!

Stock up on those kitchen towels when you get chance: you'll be using them aplenty!

By the way, it is safe for Humphrey to meet other dogs e.g. in your or their homes or gardens, if they are fully vaccinated and up to date, even if he isn't.  It's putting them down on the ground in public places where unvaccinated animals may have been that's an issue till after his vaccs have taken effect - but do carry him around, out and about.

Denise

Offline SuzieT

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 04:17:49 PM »
Thanks Denise - will try the salt water, hoping it is just tiredness and nothing nasty.  Went to him after 20 minutes and he was very sorry for himself - had left lots of mess so was obviously stressed.  Will try leaving him alone again later on tonight for just 5-10 minutes I think, and increase it gradually.

If you are not too busy it would be great if we could meet up sometime?  I would love to see Paddy again and hope Humphrey can learn some lessons on the perfect puppy behaviour from him!  I have been walking him around outside, into town, through the streets, by the road/children's park etc., but he has yet to meet another non-family dog yet.  Let me know if you get some free time (ha, ha I know....)

Best wishes,

Suzie

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:44:15 PM »
Do you think he might be crying because he has too much space? Someitimes pups can get stressed by this could you block off a corner in the kitchen somewhere.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 11:02:44 AM »
Suzie

I'll PM you with my home & phone details - would love to meet and when he's vacc'd let's get a Berkshire meet on the go with Annette and all and any others who can come along!

I'd second what Deb has said.  Big cock up we made with Pads at first was giving him free run of the kitchen when he was on his own - freaked him out and he anxiety poohed his way across the floor: so much poo, such a little pup ph34r ph34r.  Also - starting with five to ten mins is a bit ambitious - I'd start with leaving him alone for a minute, return while not crying (which I know you're doing) - even if it's only the intake of breath before he starts again - and just walk in and say hello, no patting or fussing for the first "connection" with him.  Build up to five minutes over a few days. 

Can't wait to squidge him!!! :luv: :luv:

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 12:39:11 PM »
I found the first few days quite hard going with my little puppy. When she cried I felt guilty for taking her from her family, but soon realised that quite a lot of the time she would cry/whine while playing with her toys so she was content but still trying to attract attention - little madam. LOL.

Now when she goes into her pen/crate, as long as she has been to the toilet and has water & food and a few toys, if she cries then she gets no contact at all and she soon settles down and is normally fast asleep with-in 15 minutes. She knows that when she is in her pen then she has to settle down and get some rest. I do not know what I would have done without her pen and my house would look like a bomb site no doubt with lots of messy patches all over the carpets but she has been a complete angel  :005: (well most of the time, when she isnt biting or chewing on my hands, feet or nose).

Good luck with Humphrey and stick with it as if he is anything like Saffie, he is totally clued in to what buttons to press to lay on the guilt and give the butter wouldnt melt look. Make life easy on yourself and stick to your guns and you will see results quicker than you think.

Offline SuzieT

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 02:28:33 PM »
Hi Deb, Denise and Saffie's mum,

Thanks so much for the good advice - took it up with gusto last night as I suspected I was beginning to make lots of rods for my own back!  Decided that as he was settling in well overall (eating well etc.) I should be strong and start as we mean to go on.  So, with hardened heart (not!) we put his bed in the open crate last night, with a little treat and a large pendulum clock close by, shut all doors (so he had just a little run) and went to bed at 12.  He had less than 5 minutes of whimpering and then silence!  I woke at 6 to a little whimpering (and a plethora of poo and wee), but at least we both had a good night's sleep and he was still happy to see me!  Had his first bath today, so lots of play and fun this morning and he is now in the crate again this afternoon for the daily 20-30 minute separation and only whimpered for a couple of minutes before settling. 

Yes, am beginning to see that the puppy dog eyes are clever ones!  When I went to him yesterday after the first separation I am sure he was cross and sat with his back to me!  Lots to learn, but I am having fun!

Thanks again

xx   

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 02:52:49 PM »
As soon as you give them eye contact they will start whimpering as if badly done to so try to watch them out of the corner of your eyes as they need only a brief second and they will start crying again, potter about where they can see you but dont give them any contact if they cry.

Plus are you covering the crate with a blanket or towel to make it nice and dark for little Humphrey, he will most likely settle alot quicker if he is anything like Saffie, but make sure in this weather there is a draft going through by leaving a couple of sides free.

Saffie Dad - LOL (not mum)  :005: aka Ritch

Offline SuzieT

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 03:44:40 PM »
Hello all (hi Ritch, sorry for the gender mistake!)

Thanks for great advice - it is definitely working!  Humphrey has slept in his opened crate for the last two nights - first night he anxiety poo'd, but last night I sectioned a small area off and we just had wet newspaper this morning!  Also, the bloodshot eyes are clearing, so I think he is sleeping more soundly and settling in.   I went out for an hour and half today and he seemed fine on his own - the small area advice was wonderful, thanks again.

xx

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 04:04:30 PM »
Glad to hear things are working well. In a few days little Humphrey will get into a routine and you will begin to wonder what all the worry was about. It is amazing how much you do learn from this sight as I was beginning to think it was only me that had a hyper four legged house guest but you soon begin to realise that nearly everyone here has been in the same boat at some point. And it makes it all worth while when they crawl up into your lap and go to sleep when they have been running you wragged all day.

Offline Lumi

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 09:03:18 AM »
Glad to hear he's settling in more. We were amazed at how quickly Dylan settled into a routine and now he knows when it's bed time and is more than happy to go to his bed in his pen and settle down - as said by others, it's like he's grateful to have somewhere safe to go where he knows he can crash out.
We have a training pad in one part of the pen overnight which he hasn't used for about 3 weeks (he's 15 weeks on Sun) but he used it last night! It soaks up the wee better than newspaper.