Author Topic: What's the right age?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Neville

• Site Member
  • Me 13 weeks old
Re: What's the right age?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »
Neville was chipped with his 2nd injection at 12 weeks.

Vet took him away to do it and he yelped a lot.  I was assured he was yelping at the way he was held and that he didn't murmer when the needle went in (it is BIG). >:(

I love my vet loads - he's brill but I'm still unsure whether he was telling me the truth. Neville was in shock for approx 5 mins, but was soon fine again.  OH nearly had me chipped when he heard Neville cos i was the one who insisted it had to be done. :005:

We were told to be careful around the neck area for 24 hours later, incase he was sore, but no long lasting effects.
Look forward to hearing from you!

Offline Ellie

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 04:29:24 PM »
Daisy was chipped at 7 months.  She was mortified at having a thermometer put up her bottom beforehand but didn't bat an eyelid at the chipping (too busy watching me anxiously sweating and clutching little bits of cheese at the end of the table to notice the chip probably  :005:  .

My vet charged £30  :o

Offline JaneB

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 05:08:48 PM »
Dodge was chipped at 10 weeks - didn't even notice! He was too busy scoffing the treats the vet distracted him with!
I think it was £18

Offline magicflower

• Site Member
  • Ruby-doos!
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 05:46:44 PM »
Thanks for all the reassurance!

I will get in touch with local vets as soon as we get Ruby home.  :luv:

Let's hope she is not too much of a wimp!  :lol:

Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx

Offline dood

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 09:08:54 PM »
Poppy was done at about 15 weeks and didn't react at all. Only bummer was that the vet said she had to be stopped from jumping around for 24 hours as the hole made by needle was the same size as the chip and could fall out - you try stopping them! :005:
Luckily it was ok as I had her scanned the following week.
Well worth it.

Sam and Poppy xxx

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 09:29:25 PM »
Only bummer was that the vet said she had to be stopped from jumping around for 24 hours as the hole made by needle was the same size as the chip and could fall out
Well I'm glad I never knew that when speedy Fern was 'chipped.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 10:41:20 PM »
Just to add that Ben was chipped by the breeder the day before we collected him at 8 weels - apparently he didn't feel a thing - and having owned him for the next 10 months I can beleive it!  He has the most awful 'stunt man like' falls and never makes a sound!

Offline cmcpne

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 08:17:16 PM »
Might be worth phoning the dog warden as here in Leeds they do it for free once the pup is 6 months old. According to them the chip can move around if the dog is younger than that. 

Offline PennyB

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 09:07:01 PM »
You may find your local authority does it cheaply as well --- contact your dog warden.

In Cardiff we're lucky as we can get our dogs microchipped for free.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 10:55:14 PM »
I was advised to wait until at least 5 months as the chip can move around when they are very young and their skin is loose.  Coco had it done when she was spayed at 6 months - didn't feel a thing!!  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2006, 11:03:28 PM »
Snoppy was done under general anesthetic whilst having his abscess removed recently he was 8 months, we couldn't have him done before that he doesn't do needles unless hamster size  :005: so vet advised not to put him through the stress and simply do it when he was out.  They charged £10, and we have the type of chip that doesn't move around the dog, it stays in one place, apparently there are differnet types of chips and some of the cheaper ones don't have stablisers (or something) that hold them in place, so before you have it done talk to the vet and check and see what types they have.  Also RSPCA sometimes do this cheap and apparently dog wardens do too, but you need to check with your local area to see if policy in operation. 

Hope this helps.

Cheryl
cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline Poppy W

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 09:47:42 AM »
Percy was done with 2nd lot of injections. He was really good about it too! We had one of those biometric microchips that can also read temps so my view was that if he knew if would save him having a thermometer shoved up his bottom ever again he'd be more than happy to put up with a moment of pain. Actually though he didn't yelp at all - brave boy!

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2006, 04:35:30 PM »
Another Ruby here.  She was done - like a few others I see - with her second lot of injections, and that gave me reassurance she wouldn't be out and about without it done.

OH took her - she did squeal and it is a big needle, but it's a small price to pay in reassurance terms, and she was OK 30 seconds later when she got a treat for being a brave girl!

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2006, 04:36:30 PM »
BTW it cost us £25 for microchipping.  We live in London so everything seems to be more expensive.