Author Topic: Hendrix  (Read 1421 times)

Offline chattertalk

• Site Member
  • Hendrix aged 9 weeks
Hendrix
« on: September 03, 2006, 10:42:35 AM »
Good Morning!

We used this forum extensively whilst deciding whether or not we should get a dog, and we found it extremely helpful. We now have a new family member, Hendrix (named by our 16 year old hippy son!), who is eleven weeks old and has brought us so much happiness during nhis first three weeks with us. Thanks to all the experienced posters on this forum who have helped us deal with some of our initial concerns - it is always great to know that you are not the first to go through something, especially during these early days when we still have so much to learn.

It would be really helpful to have some input regarding leaving Hendrix alone. We are all set to return to work and school this week after the summer break. Hendrix ihas become used to being crated overnight, during naps, and whenever he is left for an hour or so in the day. He also has a small, safe utility area which has a dog door to a fenced off safe outdoor area with a kennel. We have been getting him used to this area by leaving him alone for short periods, sometimes 'pretending' to be out, to check in case he becomes unsettled. I will be coming home at lunchtime each day to see him, but he will be alone for four hours in the mornnig and three in the afternoon. A neighbour is also popping in to see him regularly. Would you advise dividing the time he is alone between a 'crated' and 'uncrated' session, or do you think this might be confusing for him and cause more problems? If so, which would be the better option? (He seems more secure in his crate, but eight hours a day broken by just a lunchtime visit would go against all the advice about crating.) All advice will be gratefully welcomed! Thank you.

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Re: Hendrix
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 10:53:34 AM »
Hello and welcome to you and Hendrix.  LOVE the name :shades:

Sounds like you're doing really well with Hendrix.  Leaving him for short periods in the utility area and building up the time he is left is a good idea ;)  If the utililty area is safe in regards that there is nothing he can do any damage to ie. cables etc. then I would be inclined to leave him there during your time at work if you've had no problems so far.   Many people use a puppy play pen but having a small safe area like you have is just as good.  I'm not sure about the dog door though, I'd be inclined to close that off at the present time :-\  Good luck.
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 11:01:57 AM »
Welcome - you might want to post your specific question in the puppies section to ensure you get answers  ;)

I agree with Mary - but would clarify in that you should not allow him outside witout someone being with him - it's far to dangerous. It might be puppy safe - but there are sadly many puppy theives out there nowadays. :'( So I'd leave him in the utility area as long as there's nothing that he can get at that he could chew etc and lock that dog door.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline chattertalk

• Site Member
  • Hendrix aged 9 weeks
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 02:30:50 PM »
Thanks so much for your welcome and advice Mary and Pammy. How worrying that puppy theft seems so prevalent now. I feel quite naive! Are thieves normally deterred from approaching older dogs, or are they just as vulnerable? Does anybody know of any other security measures we should be aware of for protecting Hendrix? For example, I have heard that it is inadvisable to have a name tag on a dog as this enables others to befriend them more easily. 

Thanks also for your advice about plaving my post in the 'puppy' section. I will cut and paste now. :D

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 02:41:02 PM »

Hi Chattertalk and welcome to the forum.  :blink:

We now have a new family member, Hendrix (named by our 16 year old hippy son!), who is eleven weeks old

I was never a hippy and being 16 is just a distant memory to me - but I also named my first Cocker after Jimi Hendrix ( although I used the spelling Jimmy, in honour of the other person he was called after - footballer Jimmy Case.) When he was a pup we walked in the park a few times with a lady who had a dog called Hendrix. Everytime I called out the name 'Jimmy' it was always followed by her calling out 'Hendrix.' Oh how we laughed, we both thought it was the funniest thing ever.  :lol: I guess you had to be there really.  ph34r

Your Hendrix is a real looker - beautiful eyes.  :shades:

Offline chattertalk

• Site Member
  • Hendrix aged 9 weeks
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 03:22:10 PM »
Thanks Colin! We have just been watching your videos of Jimmy and Misty. What lovely dogs - and how funny!

Offline kelly-joy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 03:46:24 PM »
Aww what a cutie you have

Offline AMANDA18

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 05:50:03 PM »
he's so cute :luv: :luv:

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 06:41:26 PM »
Welcome to col. My Oh loves Hendrix so much he named his pet snake after him (black and smoooth). He's a California king snake.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 07:50:51 PM »
Thanks so much for your welcome and advice Mary and Pammy. How worrying that puppy theft seems so prevalent now. I feel quite naive! Are thieves normally deterred from approaching older dogs, or are they just as vulnerable? Does anybody know of any other security measures we should be aware of for protecting Hendrix? For example, I have heard that it is inadvisable to have a name tag on a dog as this enables others to befriend them more easily. 

Unfortunately, it's not just puppies who are vulnerable to theft, theft of pedigree dogs is very prevalent at the moment :'(

You have to have a name tag with telephone number on your dog by law.  Although it has been known that people can befriend dogs, I personally think the chances of that happening are more remote than the possiblility of your dog wandering off or getting lost and so I would always have a name tag on the collar even if it wasn't the law :blink:
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 09:49:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum  :D

Hendrix is lovely  :luv:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 10:16:57 PM »
He's beautiful! :luv: :luv:  I think I might pinch him myself!!! :005: :005:
Chip that little baby....... ;)
Love,
Lisa, Moog & Mervyn x x x x

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 10:34:18 PM »
He is gorgeous.  :luv:

All these black puppies are making me very broody!  ph34r  :005:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)