Author Topic: Food again!! Sorry  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Denise

• Site Member
Food again!! Sorry
« on: August 28, 2006, 11:16:26 AM »

Well having discovered that Indie wasnt keen on nature diet and looking a bit sad at meals i went out bought 4lb of mince and cooked it up with fresh carrots, froze it all into wee individual portions and give it mixed with some kibble. His head doesnt come out of the bowl until its finished!! RESULT  But am I doing the wrong thing and could he be missing out on essential vitamins and minerals etc and just as an aside I've always heard that you shouldnt give onions to dogs as it can cause anaemia but we gave stew to our lab she loved it and as far as im aware it didnt do her any harm   
Denise

Offline Archieboy

• Site Member
Re: Food again!! Sorry
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 11:31:27 AM »
Hi,

Just my personal opinion ;)

I personally wouldnt give dogs cooked meat, there are loads of discussions on here about raw feeding, have a look, its very interesting reading.  I raw feed by archie and he loves it, he was never a dog that liked kibble!! now every meal time is a joy :D  I also wouldnt give archie veg cos a dogs digestive system is not designed to cope with veg, I know lots of here do give veg but I wouldnt, afterall dogs would not eat veg in the wild.  We may have tamed dogs with temperament and behaviour but not with their digestive system or feeding.

As I said just my opinion ;)

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 11:59:36 AM »
I'm no expert but............

I think you will find dogs in the wild do eat vegatable matter - they get it from the stomach contents of their prey and this is why Barfers feed either cooked or liquidised veg as this can be broken down in the dogs digestive system.

No doubt i will be corrected if i am wrong ;)

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 01:00:35 PM »
There are loads of different "raw" diets, and ethos' - some include veggies some don't  ;)

I don't think a home cooked diet is necessarily a bad thing; manufactured food is all cooked - like with raw diets, its important to get the balance right  ;)
If you are still feeding a complete food and just enhancing it with home-cooked food then the complete food will provide most of the nutrients that Indie needs anyway  ;) There is a risk that he could become a bit of a fussy-drawers and hold out for home-cooked at each meal - which can be tricky if you use a pet sitter, kennels or go on holiday with him  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club