Author Topic: Stone Eater  (Read 1119 times)

Offline loopylol

• Site Member
  • Sally
Stone Eater
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:11:22 PM »
I am letting Sally out on the patio quite often during the day, but have to have eyes in my backside, any tiny stone she can find she chews on it, sometimes eats it if I cannot get it out of her mouth.

Do all puppies love eating stones or is this odd.
 Cannot for one minute think they taste very nice, but then again can't imagine spiders, slugs or any other grub does either.

www.sallyandblossom.piczo.com

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Stone Eater
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 08:37:28 PM »
Ben used to do this all the time, but only if I was watching, he would pick up a stone and come up to me as he soon learnt that I would give him a treat to drop it.  i don't think I ever saw him pick up a stone if he thought i wasn't looking.  Does Sally do this, or does she just eat them?

Ben has grown out of it now, and this summer has only done it once or twice then got board when i didn't panic and bribe him to drop it :lol:

Bens mum

Offline loopylol

• Site Member
  • Sally
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:39:37 PM »
Sally grinds them down then eats them.

I do say NO and try to get it out of her mouth, but she can be quite stubborn

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 08:53:55 PM »
Sally grinds them down then eats them.

I do say NO and try to get it out of her mouth, but she can be quite stubborn

Keep a pocket full of treats and teach her the leave command - offer her the treat, as she gives up the stone, say "leave" and give her the treat when you have the stone in your hand  :D

Stones and pebbles can collect in a dogs stomach; some can get really poorly and need surgery....so its best she learns to leave them alone  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline magicflower

• Site Member
  • Ruby-doos!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 11:56:44 AM »
Ruby has a go at picking up stones, sticks, lollipop sticks, anything really when we are out! :lol:

I always say No and then try and get it out of her mouth.

She tends to look very indignant for a couple of seconds and then moves on to something else.  >:D

Bless her big furry feet!  :005:  :005:

Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx

Offline -miluiel-

• Site Member
  • Muddy Tyke!!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 07:31:08 PM »
hehe :005:
our started chewing concrete patios as well!! :005:

Emily!!

Emily and Tyke (Tykles Tickles Bear)

Offline dorae

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 07:52:10 PM »
charlie is always chewing stones  and peebles we went to eastbourne in august he got so excited on the beach it is all peebles he kept picking them up dropping then picking another one up and so on he loved it  :005:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 08:05:48 PM »
Fern did this too, but now she has found more interesting things in the long grass ph34r baby mice to dig at or moles and if she can chase a bird even better >:(

(Wouldn't mind the bird bit but she jumps the bl@@dy wall towards / on to the road >:(

Offline loopylol

• Site Member
  • Sally
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 10:17:56 PM »
I feel a little relieved that others chew stones too, I do get a lot out, but she also grinds them down to powder and eats them.

Hopefully she will outgrow this

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 10:41:06 PM »
my friends dog had a blockage caused by eating stones it cost her a fortune as she had no pet insurance and now her spaniel  has a history of stone injestion and guess what? she did it again. they have had to remove all stone chips pebbles from garden/ run. It is a very common cause of intestional blockage in young dogs and our vet advises if you dont have pet insurance get it .. you may well need it. by the way my freinds dog was very sick both times and in a lot of discomfort. was very scary for her.
 my sisters collie ate a whole sock and had to be fed a bottle of liquid parrafin, luckily it emerged from other end no harm done, but my sister was a nervous wreck.
 pups are like toddlers they will eat anything!!  rascals... but so cute!! :luv:

Offline Blinky

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 02:46:58 PM »
Ooh, this is a worry, we have loads and loads of gravel in our garden and I often catch Bluebell with a bit in her mouth.  I do try and get most of them out, but I didn't realise they could collect in their stomachs and cause problems, I was hoping they'd just pass through.

Offline Birtles

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 03:36:16 PM »
Monty keeps chewing the edges of stone flags on the patio !! and anything else he can get his teeth around...  I say NO but he just continues, move him away and he goes back....  I just hope he will get bored of it soon and find something else to chew.
I would have thought trying to chew everything and anything would be quite normal behaviour for a dog..... hes just got to learn that its not tasty and rather boring.