Author Topic: Dyllan's Ears  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
Dyllan's Ears
« on: September 08, 2006, 04:30:24 PM »
Dyllan's ears have a sour smell to them >:(, he doesn't seem to be bothered and seems well in himself.
His breeder did his ears for ear mites just before I picked him up almost two weeks ago.

Should I be doing something to his ears?

I hope someone can help
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Re: Dyllan's Ears
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 04:57:16 PM »
MY two smell very, very cheesy.  At first I thought it was their ears, so bought some thornits, but I have since discovered that the smell is actually coming from around their mouth and under their lips, I am hoping once they have all their adult teeth it will go away, because it is really horrible.  >:(

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 05:08:47 PM »
You need to isolate the source of the smell. If it's from the mouth and they're teething then it could be that, but don't miss hte possibility of lip fold dermatitis which is very common in Cockers. Nnothing usually to worry about and not normally something that pupppies get - but just be sure what it is.

As for the ears, if they have a habit of dragging their ears on the floor or in their food or anything else then they will get smelly and dirty ph34r. Simple solution is to just wash the ears. I get a jug full of warm water with some diluted shampoo in and dip the ears in. Give them a good scrunch and then use another jug with clear water to rinse - result non smelly ears. It is amazing how disgusting their ears can get if you let them;) ph34r :005:
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 05:10:33 PM »
Thanks for that but it does seem to be coming from inside his ears.

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 05:22:11 PM »
You need to check that they are not red and sore going into the ear canal. It's not uncommon for new puppies to have ear infections - and they are usually easily treated. If they are he might need a trip to the vet. You then need to get some Thornit, then a tiny bit of that in each ear works wonders.

The design of Spaniel's ears can make them prone to ear infections, but if you look after them properly then they will be fine. A weekly wipe out with a piece of damp cotton wool or a proprietary ear wipe is usually more than enough - but it all depends on your dog. I rarely have to touch my boys earm but other people need to pay very close attention to their dog's ears.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline -miluiel-

• Site Member
  • Muddy Tyke!!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 06:53:52 PM »
Very smelly!! :-\

-miluiel- :luv: :angel:

Emily and Tyke (Tykles Tickles Bear)

Offline hovis

• Site Member
    • www.kasordoncockers.com
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 11:02:16 PM »
................could be they are getting their gown up teeth. I found with mine the smell was caused by bits of food getting caught under loose teeth. Problem was solved when the teeth fell out - just upsetting to find little puppy teeth on the carpet!

If its the mouth area ie lip folds, cockers are prone to a condition called 'cocker mouth'. I find a wipe around with a baby wet wipe after they've eaten their main meal does the trick and in the event it does get out of hand then bathe with salt water for a few days. If it doesnt clear up you can get a cream from the vets although I'm not sure how effective that is coz it doesnt stay on 5 mins with them licking it off!!!
Your dog is your friend, partner & defender. You are his life, love & leader. He will be yours, faithful & true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 11:31:03 AM »
Thanks all. I've ordered some Thornit and have started to clean his ears.

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 06:47:51 PM »
Just got back from the vets. Dyllan has got ear mites  >:( and  have some drops to go in his ears. When they have cleared up I'll start to use the Thornit.
Thanks for all your help.
Sarah

www.brimbeck.co.uk