Author Topic: Puppy books worth buying  (Read 5861 times)

Offline crosby

• Site Member
Puppy books worth buying
« on: May 01, 2003, 12:25:23 PM »
I remember seeing a book recommended on here for prospective owners but now I want to buy one can I find it? Can anyone recommend a good book so I can start doing some homework?

Many thanks,

Crosby and Blue                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Puppy books worth buying
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 12:34:17 PM »
Hi Crosby,

"The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey seems to be the best and thorough book I have read and is usually recommended by most members on COL.
I'm sure if you buy on Amazon via COL the site gets a contribution....follow this link
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=1320
Gilly                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Puppy books worth buying
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 01:03:44 PM »
For prospective Cocker owners I also recommend Frank Kane's Pet Owners Guide to the Cocker Spaniel. Don't be put off by the Pet Owners bit, it's very good book for all Cocker owners and gives lots of useful info'n on living with your fluff ball from start to end. There's one on ebay at the mo!! I think you can also get it from Amazon but you can get it from many good book shops. Got mine from a high street one - can't remember which though :-                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
Puppy books worth buying
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 01:24:53 PM »
Frank Kane's book can indeed be bought through Amazon.
Click the link below:

Pet Owner's Guide to the Cocker Spaniel

Buying through Cockersonline helps support our site. :)                    

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Puppy books worth buying
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 01:34:31 PM »
I've got a word document which i issue to every new owner of our pups. It is not rule of thumb but has some usefull tips. I have been told it is really good. It is just really how we raise our girls.

I can send you a copy.

You should not use this as your only rule book but combine it with the books above and as much advise as you can get!

Makesure you have done your homework!

Clare                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Puppy books worth buying
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 04:58:15 PM »
And of course dont forget to browse our ever expanding Frequently Asked Questions section on cockersonline, if you havent already :)

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/board/index...ex.php?board=47                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Puppy books worth buying
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2003, 10:30:44 PM »
I've got Frank Kane's book and Gwen Bailey's and found them both invaluable.  
Collins publish a book called Cocker Spaniel - An Owners Guide by Lesley Scott-Ordish which I also found to be excellent.  And Cocker Spaniel by Haja van Weesem - plenty of reading in this one - interesting bit on genetics and colour in cockers.  It's also good for general doggie stuff - contains some really disgusting magnified pictures of ticks, fleas, roundworm, etc. - enough to have everyone paranoid about what's lurking in the carpets!! :P
After You Get Your Puppy by Dr Ian Dunbar is quite good for advice for the first few months of puppy owning.  :D
As you probably tell I was willing to read anything and everything doggy in the long wait for my boy!!  ;D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Puppy books worth buying
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 10:32:56 PM »
Shirley, sounds like you have a bookcase like mine ;D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Puppy books worth buying
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 12:53:39 AM »
And mine. ;D

A good one I've got is The Doglopaedia by JM Evans and Kay White although it's not cocker or puppy specific. It has loads of stuff on health and illness and also mishaps and problems (for dogs and puppies).......I had to stop reading it in bed though as it started giving me nightmares. In fact the vet told me to stop reading it altogether as I kept popping in about imaginary ailments (paranoid, moi?). I think "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" were his words  :o! I'm taking no notice of him though.....until Jane writes her book I'm sticking with the Doglopaedia. ;D                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Puppy books worth buying
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2003, 07:50:12 PM »
;D  ;D Got that one too, Colin.  I like the 'What if my dog...?' section.  It has been really useful for heightening my paranoia every time Morgan sneezes or scratches.  My favourite one, though, is 'What if my dog is shedding hair?'!!!! ;D  ;D  ;D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys