Author Topic: Barking Phoebe  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
Barking Phoebe
« on: October 03, 2006, 06:28:13 PM »
I know that barking has been mentioned a few times before............... ;) But recently Phoeb, my 6 month old girl allways barks when meeting other dogs, especially other cockers. To be honest it's embarassing, she just will not stop. Baggins does the puppy thing and crouches down tail going 13 to the dozen and pounces like a cat. Anything I can do to discourage Phoebe from shoutimg at other dogs. It's not aggressive in any way, she just barks whilst lying down and wagging her tail.Will she grow out of it? 

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Barking Phoebe
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 07:46:28 PM »
She might grow out of it - but Molo barks when he is excited, and he grew into it  ::)

When we walk to the beach on-lead, when we meet a doggy friend, or when I make him sit/down on walks before I release him to play again; its woof,woof,woof,yap,yap,yap,bark,bark,bark  ::)

I have met a few "gobby cockers" though; I keep telling myself its one of his endearing qualities  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 08:08:12 PM »
Yes endearing, like standing at the front door greeting a delivary man with an item of underwear in her mouth........... :005: WHY! Whats wrong with a tennis ball

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 09:23:46 PM »
we've definitely met some gobby cockers in this area- one literally walks around the block onlead barking the whole time at absolutely nothing in particular. his owner just seems to have gotten used to it. ::) quite a few start barking when they are chasing barkley and can't catch him. being a 'silent worker type' (yeah, right!) barkley normally only barks at things that are freaking him out but he does sometimes bark at dogs that wont play with him. this often makes them even less likely to play so maybe he'll learn as he grows up!
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 10:36:11 PM »
Fern has got into barking (sorry OH correcting me yapping!! :005:) as soon as the kids get their school bags on their backs as I then go for my walking boots ;)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 12:15:53 AM »
Barney has taken to barking when people come to the door or into the drive if he's out on it. Nothing out of the ordinary there you say? Except for the fact that he barks longer and louder when he knows the person than when he doesn't.  ::) If he doesn't they might get a cursory couple of barks but when he does know them its a case of "hello, I'm down here, hello, have you forgotten I'm down here, look at me, I'm sure you must want to give me a cuddle, I'M HERE!"  ::)

I imagine this is what Peobe is doing too. Barney does the same when he want to get Max to play with him, but thankfully only a couple of barks is needed to get Max to play.

Barney most definitely barks more than my other two put together, though he's not as bad as some I know. You could try teaching Phoebe a "Quiet" command. I've done this with mine, and its very useful.
There's two parts to teaching her to be quiet. When she is quiet get her attention and say "Phoebe quiet, good girl good quiet" and reward repeat this a few times. You can do a hand signal too when you're saying it. That has the benefit of her seeing that even if she can't hear you clearly for the barking she's doing. Its a very strong hand signal and I'll try and describe it  :-\ Put your hands up in front of you, palms facing away from you. Then cross them. Move them rapidly and firmly apart horizontally and stop when in line with your upper arm. Hope that makes sense.  :-\
Once you've done a few days of doing this when she is quiet move on to doing it when she is barking. The second that she stops to draw breath do the hand signal and say "good quiet" and reward. Do this for a few days, then start doing when she is actually barking. If she stops go over the top with praise and cuddles. If you think she's not got the concept of what quiet means, go back to the beginning. Eventually you'll get to a point that she'll do it without the hand signals, I can tell Barney to be quiet while he's running around the drive and he shuts up.
Hope this helps.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 08:20:29 AM »
Thanks for that, I'll give a try. If nothing else I could earn some extra pennies as a mime artist :lol:

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 08:39:36 AM »
I might give this arm slinging a try too. 
Max generally isn't a barker, except at the door bell which is acceptable.
BUT there's certain people (neighbours) that he barks constantly at if we're out (although tail wagging all the time) infact my next door neighbour is the worse recipient.  Apparently OH invited her in recently & he followed her everywhere & didn't stop barking.  She admits she's not a dog lover, but there's another neighbour (lady again & similar age) who loves dogs & he barks constantly if we're trying to talk, she's given him treats which shut him up for a short while then he starts again.  Occassionally he barks at random people sitting on benches around the park.  I've tried to narrow it down to a certain type of person - ie sex, age, smoker but there doesn't appear to be any consistency.  The only problem with this arm waving is that normally he's not looking at me.  It doesn't happen very often so I've not had many opportunities to try different things.  We're in the process of learining Watch Me, so that'll have to be the 1st hurdle before the arm tactic.
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 08:58:53 AM »
Sam

Thanks for your command I have logged it on my list and will be trying this ;)

I've just started copying and pasting useful tips/ commands off here and putting them in a word document which I've labelled 'Dog commands'  This way I read something on here and then don't have to trawl through the site to remind me when I want to start with it, it's all to hand on one word document.  (mods please note this is for my use / reference only - hope it's ok to do it)

Anything to help me train my little KEVIN >:D oops meant to say Fern :005:

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 10:48:59 AM »
At the risk of provoking some negative responses( not my intention) when I had my first cockers training was allong the spare the rod spoil the child principal. Rolled up newspaper, smack on the nose approach. Not defending this at all, its just the way things were done. It worked too, but I allways hated it. The look on a scolded cockers face is heart breaking. Several years down the line and now using the reward good behaviour approach and wondering why I didnt use it for my last two. For anyone else who thinks that its a "soft option" and you need to show them whos boss by hitting them, you really dont need to. Cockers are motivated by food anyway, so any chance of some extras and they'll jump through hoops, well almost. Phoebe is a quick learner and now thinks its great that she gets rewarded for sitting still and doing nothing. Maybe I'll try it.............. Nah O/h would just smack me :lol:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 12:30:01 PM »
I also have a barking Phoebe, maybe it's the name?  :005:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 12:26:15 AM »
Sam

I've just started copying and pasting useful tips/ commands off here and putting them in a word document which I've labelled 'Dog commands'  This way I read something on here and then don't have to trawl through the site to remind me when I want to start with it, it's all to hand on one word document.  (mods please note this is for my use / reference only - hope it's ok to do it)

What a fab idea!  :shades: Why on earth didn't I think of that.  ::)

Hope it works for you too!  ;)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 12:40:37 AM »
Thanks for that, I'll give a try. If nothing else I could earn some extra pennies as a mime artist :lol:

:005:  :005:  If you walk around the park doing it you never know people might start throwing money at you!!  :lol:

It doesn't happen very often so I've not had many opportunities to try different things.  We're in the process of learining Watch Me, so that'll have to be the 1st hurdle before the arm tactic.

If Max's barking isn't frequent enough to base the training round barking, then do it while he is quite. By giving the command and hand signal (if you choose to  :005: ) when he is quiet and then telling him that was a good quiet and reward he'll learn that doing this, which is in fact doing nothing, is what quiet means. He'll understand then what you want him to do when you tell him quiet when he is barking. Obviously you'll be using the command in a different situation than he's been doing it in so he might not get it straight away on his first time of asking.

I've found the earlier you start this the better result and its certainly a quicker result. I did this both with Max and Barney from being pups and they both are quiet when I ask. However with Sapphi I was told that I couldn't possibly teach her to be quiet until I'd taught her to speak. Problem with Sapphi is that the only time she barks is at the door when she doesn't know who it is and if she's out on the drive she'll bark at unknown passers by from time to time. So it was virtually impossible to teach her to speak, because if someone came to the door who she didn't know, then I didn't know them so I hardly think they'd be thrilled to be kept waiting while I was teaching her what speak means. Since I've discovered the quiet command I've tried alot with her, but she certainly hasn't got it totally and is taking some time to get to her to understand.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 08:21:49 AM »
Sam

What a fab idea!  :shades: Why on earth didn't I think of that.  ::)

Hope it works for you too!  ;)

It only came to me the other day, so unfortunately I've a load of sifting to do ;) Just goes to proove how much good advice and tips are on here ;)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 08:40:11 AM »

:005:  :005:  If you walk around the park doing it you never know people might start throwing money at you!!  :lol:

It doesn't happen very often so I've not had many opportunities to try different things.  We're in the process of learining Watch Me, so that'll have to be the 1st hurdle before the arm tactic.

If Max's barking isn't frequent enough to base the training round barking, then do it while he is quite. By giving the command and hand signal (if you choose to  :005: ) when he is quiet and then telling him that was a good quiet and reward he'll learn that doing this, which is in fact doing nothing, is what quiet means. He'll understand then what you want him to do when you tell him quiet when he is barking. Obviously you'll be using the command in a different situation than he's been doing it in so he might not get it straight away on his first time of asking.

I've found the earlier you start this the better result and its certainly a quicker result. I did this both with Max and Barney from being pups and they both are quiet when I ask. However with Sapphi I was told that I couldn't possibly teach her to be quiet until I'd taught her to speak. Problem with Sapphi is that the only time she barks is at the door when she doesn't know who it is and if she's out on the drive she'll bark at unknown passers by from time to time. So it was virtually impossible to teach her to speak, because if someone came to the door who she didn't know, then I didn't know them so I hardly think they'd be thrilled to be kept waiting while I was teaching her what speak means. Since I've discovered the quiet command I've tried alot with her, but she certainly hasn't got it totally and is taking some time to get to her to understand.

Thanks Sam.  I'll give it a try by getting OH to ring the door bell as he always barks at this, otherwise I'm going to have to teach him to speak before I can ask him to be quiet.  :005:

Edited to add:  Max is 16 months, let's hope it can still be a fairly quick result
Maxine owned by Max & Harry