Author Topic: Novice Puppy Mummy Q again - Holding Through Night  (Read 1182 times)

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
Novice Puppy Mummy Q again - Holding Through Night
« on: October 17, 2006, 04:13:06 PM »
Hi Folks

Now I know all puppies are different- Paddy is 10 weeks yesterday   :luv: and doing pretty well with his toilet training,  :angel:  only a couple of accidents and acts really funny kinda excitedly and barks when its a number 2.

But I wanted to know when I can stretch through the night

i go to bed around 10 - 10.30! (early I know) and get up around 1.15 and then again around 4.45 and I get up around 7.30 - each of these times he trots out with me to the garden has a widdle and back to bed no bother at all, can I start to move one of these.? I don't want him sitting in his crate desparate for a widdle!..  I spose I could go to bed later and get up earlier but  ::)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: Novice Puppy Mummy Q again - Holding Through Night
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 04:34:47 PM »
mine were about 13 weeks when they stopped going through the night so keep doing what you are and he'll get there. Your're doing exactly what I did and it worked a treat.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 07:52:22 PM »
I must have been really lucky with Loki as he goes to bed between 10 and 11 and sleeps right through till 6.40 when the alarm goes off, he has done this since the second night we had him. The only time he had to go in the night was just after his second jabs and he wasnt feeling too good.  I think this was as the breeder had started them on this very early on.

Offline denyW

• Site Member
  • Holly/ Amber/ Holly and Amber
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 08:19:06 PM »
Hi, I'm, knew to the site and have been reading a few of the puppy training methods. I am at my wits end here at the moment as we have a lovely blue roan cocker called Holly. She is a sweety and a real joy to watch romping around and has the most cutest of habits when playing by rolling over and doing sommersaults. However we seem to have lapsed back to being a new puppy and wetting everywhere when we are not looking. We have taken to going back to basics and locking her in her training cage at night but although happy to be in there, she wets considerably where she sleeps and therefore needs a bath almost every day. We would appreciate any advice on how to break  Holly of this problem. Just to give everyone a giggle we had a lovely plastic travelling cage that Holly used to love being in but she seemed to feel I think we werent feeding her enough and decided to eat the locks off the top rendering it useless. Hopefully someone will come up with something we havent thought of. Thanks for reading this. :shades:

Offline Funksmaname

• Site Member
    • Samba @ My Flickr Page
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 08:28:10 AM »
Do you get up on your own accord? or does Paddy cry when he wants to go out?
Samba is 10 weeks, and has held himself through the night consistantly for over 2 weeks.  We only got up when he cried and suddenly one day there was no crying.  (first few days we ignored his first cry thinking it was the loneliness etc, but always found a present when getting up the 2nd time  :blink:).  He woke up twice to begin with, then once around 4/5... but for a while now we go to bed 10:30/11, and wake up at 7:30... and when we come down hes sat awake on his bed (in the crate) with no accidents!

I think you can certainly try to go down to once - or if you are getting yourself up  :005: then just try and relax till he cries! :)

good luck,
D
Old Samba's pics @ his Flickr and latest on my Flickr

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 08:31:38 AM »
Hiyaaaaaaaaaa

Thats really good

I set my alarm and go down - I shut all the doors so I cannot hear him - but I spose you are right he doesnt whine now when he goes to his crate,and is usually sleeping when I go downstairs through the night

I was worried he would get into the habit of crying through the night to get me up...

PAddy pees a lot through the day but thats cos everytime he sniffs the floor I take panik and take him out - most of the time  he does have a pee

Hmmm

Offline Funksmaname

• Site Member
    • Samba @ My Flickr Page
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 08:46:28 AM »
 :005: well if he's going, then you did the right thing taking him out!  Sometimes we forget that ge's still so young and thats when little accidents occur.  Problem with being there to let them out all the time is that they dont ASK if you forget. :P

i think you can lose the earplugs now  :005: try getting up once, but if you can be sneaky and he doesnt wake up then leave him :)
We give samba his last meal at 7 although, he always has water down in the crate throughout the night but still doesnt wee in there.

Now Paddy is settled i would open the doors and try to sleep!  as long as you dont feed him too late the worst that could happen is a wee...and as we quickly learned over the last 10 weeks - our sleep is so important!  :005: I used to lie awake waiting for the next cry to jump down, but you quickly get used to the unexpected silence and learn to sleep in peace!  :blink:
Old Samba's pics @ his Flickr and latest on my Flickr

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 08:53:56 AM »
Yeah I am going to have to try and get more sleep although I really don;t mind - I am only up for 5 mins and he is really good at going out in the garden and coming back in - apart from last night & this morning when he ran back inside cos it was torrential wind and rain.. haha.. 

I am standing there outside in my waterproofs & dressing gown going - cmon paddy - in my best excited voice  >:D He did eventually come and then he tried hiding under my dressing gown..  he best get used to it as we live in the north of scotland  :005: :005: :005: