Author Topic: Worried: Aggression, dominance?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Simon

• Site Member
  • Tommy Bonaloo
Worried: Aggression, dominance?
« on: October 22, 2006, 06:23:31 PM »
I am really upset at the moment, but I've been trying to stay rational and calm. It is hard. I brought home Tommy our blue roan boy two weeks ago now, and I thought I was pretty well prepared for what was going to happen. Lots of accidents, interrupted sleep, play biting etc. but now I am very concerned that I might have an aggressive puppy. I think I am blowing it out of proportion, but I want to know as soon as possible your thoughts so I can try to nip it in the bud.

Tommy has been getting very excited at certain times of day, like normal, a mad hour in the evening, where the toilet training goes out the window and he gets very bitey. Well, that's fine, I expected that and it's not too difficult to cope with. But I've found he doesn't like being picked up in certain situations. He has growled loudly at my mother twice today, as she picked him up of the stairs (he attempted the first step), and again as she lifted him outside (because it was wet and raining, he didn't want to go out and sat by the doorstep).

He also growled at me when I lifted him off the sofa, because he's too young to jump down. Do you think it's a bad idea to let him up on the same level as me where I sit? I limit it now after this experience, only to times when I want him up there (he'd climb up my legs beforehand), but am now thinking of not allowing it full stop, as he might be getting ideas above his station. What do you think? The over time he growled at me was when I had to lift him out his crate and go to the vets for his vaccination, unfortunate that he was sleeping and wouldn't respond to calls to come out. I can understand that one, but was a bit taken back.

Now in the garden he is going for my trousers, but making rather viscous sounding growly noises, very over the top, and over excited. I wonder whether I should ignore him, or tell him no (but that gives him attention).

He has not bared teeth at all though, thank god, I don't know what'd I'd do then. I think he is a dominant dog, and seems very confident, exploring new areas of the garden, the fireworks last night didn't seem to bother him. Do you think he could be a 'vocal' cocker? One that does make a lot of noises to express himself?

I watched Dog Borstal on BBC Three the other day, and I think it's made me a little paranoid, I'm probably going way over the top here, but I lost my wonderful black cocker, Rocky, in August, who had a fantastic temperament.

What I'm saying, is it unusual at such a young age, as my mother said (and she's had many puppies in her life), for such things to be happening? I do remind myself he's not shown any misbehaviour, apart from the normal, other than when being picked up. I am aware that then, you should learn from your past mistakes, and try and tempt him out with treats and praise, but in some situations it's not possible.

Just a bit of reassurance needed here thanks!  :-\

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
Re: Worried: Aggression, dominance?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 06:35:29 PM »
I'm sure someone with more experience will come along and help you soon Simon.

I just wanted to say Dyllan is 16wks now and his behaviour has settled down alot. We don't let him on the sofa he seems to have got the hang of staying on the floor. We started puppy classes 3 wks ago and that has helped a lot.

All breeds are different but Cockers are a determined bunch and often like their own way when they can get it!
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 06:38:18 PM »
There is a difference in sound between play growling and 'serious' growling. Fern still does the growly noises when she is doing the wall of death and she is seven years old! She is our first cocker and the only dog we have had that does this. I think it must be a 'cocker thing'. Can you tell the difference yet?
I am assuming that Tommy is about 10 weeks old? If so then I would think he is finding his voice and there is little to worry about and ignore the noises at the moment, although keep an eye on it if things change. It sounds like he is doing grumpy growls when he doesn't like to be disturbed.  A firm 'no' and putting him down and ignoring him for a while is what I would do. I wouldn't encourage him on the sofa either, but that is my preference as I have never allowed my dogs on furniture. On my lap when I choose as a pup yes, but only when I chose, so I think you are right there. It takes away the potential for him to object when you want him down. Others on here may disagree though  :-\
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 06:42:15 PM »
Hi Simon, We have had our puppy 6 weeks and the first time he growled it really scared me. :embarassed:

Louie has also growled at me when he wants to be put down and 'spun' his head (that sounds terrible, just throws it around :005:). Like with Tommy it only happens at his most excitable times of the day. I think it is quite normal, it's just that we hear a dog growl and think the worst. To a dog it is a perfectly normal sound. He has also 'moaned' when I have put him out in the rain.
I got really upset when my niece said he was going to be a vicious dog :'( He really is not.

I had similar concerns as Louie also starting barking quite a bit too. We just ignore that now ;) and he has got better. I think you do have a vocal Cocker, so do we. Funny thing is if we go out anywhere he is not loud at all.

Louie's mad 'bitey' moments have calmed down alot in the last week or two, I think it's because we can now take him out. You'll find the same with Tommy.It must be so boring for them ;)

Regarding the settee, I don't know the answer, we just made a decision not to let Louie on any furniture, also due to the fact that our cats are allowed and they need to get away from him :005:

Don't worry, Tommy is a perfectly normal puppy.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 06:58:20 PM »
Try not to worry Simon, its perfectly normal behaviour  ;)

Puppies are not "aggressive" - they merely have not learnt that certain behaviour which they are able to display is unacceptable in a domestic setting  ;)
A bit like the way in which you have to teach children social and family rules, so puppies have to be taught that it is not acceptable to bite/growl etc - even if it is behaviour that they enjoy and gets them what they want  ;)

I would avoid picking him up - it is not necessary, if you can't encourage him where you want him to be with a treat then you could consider using a house line - and if that means that he doesn't go on the sofa until he's bigger, then you can always sit on the floor with him for a cuddle :) I used to beleive that sofa/bed priviledges may lead to a dominant dog - but recently I have read more, and now believe that the most important thing in a dogs life is consistancy of rules, rather than the rules themselves  ;)

Trouser legs are a WONDERFUL game for puppies - who enjoy chasing and pouncing on things - can you imagine anyting better than something soft that moves and flaps when you chase it  :005:  Try standing still; or if that doesn't work, a yelp or growl often does the trick  ::) I threw out all the trousers I owned in Molo's first few months with us - the all had little puppy tooth-tears in them  >:(

As for your mums experience  - different breeds have different traits - and cocker puppies have been known to bring people with years of experience with different breeds to their end of their tether ph34r TBH, its not very constructive advice to tell someone that their pup is aggressive  ;)

There have been lots of posts like yours in the past - try doing a search through the puppy board to read lots of other suggestions and advice  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 07:10:45 PM »
Hi there, my two are almost 6 months old and when we first got them Jade 'tried' growling at us when we tried to move her especially if she was comfy or sleeping or just didn't want to do as she was told.  I played the role of mummy and loomed over her and growled 'NO' at her loudly, she only did this a couple of times and we followed each time with the same response, she has never growled at us since.  :angel:  Amber on the other hand has never even so much as had a grumble at us, yet when they are playing she is the noisy one.  :005:

Chasing trousers is perfectly normal and I suspect the growling noises you are hearing then, are the same noises my two make when they play with each other.  It is good fun chasing things and dogs can only make this kind of sound, I liken it to children laughing when they are playing.  ::)

I am afraid I can't help with the sofa problem as I allow mine on but only when there is a blanket on, they now know, no blanket, no sofa.  :shades:  I love my cuddles and snuggles with them in an evening too much and I have a bad back so can't get down on the floor with them, so they come up with me.

I agree with Rachel, not very constructive to label someones puppy as agressive at 10 weeks old.  ph34r After all, like people, they are not all the same, different breeds have different personalities.   ;)

Good luck with your new puppy and stop worrying, they pick up the vibes you know.  ph34r  :005:

Just to add, have you read The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey, it is an excellent read if you haven't.

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 07:14:26 PM »
Tommy has been getting very excited at certain times of day, like normal, a mad hour in the evening, where the toilet training goes out the window and he gets very bitey.

Although this is like you say quite normal, you may want to look at the kind of food and treats you are feeding Tommy. Often with young dogs as they  are  being trained lots of treats are used. I found that Billy used to get hyper quiet a lot, it wasn't until he got a bit older that I changed the type of treats we were feeding him ( from additive & preservative ladden ones to more natural additive free ones) that I noticed he became much  less "hyper". Something i wish I had done long before  :005:

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 07:26:26 PM »
i thought food too.what you are describing could have been me with paddy when we first got him.he hung onto our trousers/skirts growling.i couldn't get up and move 2 feet without him hanging off my clothes.the holes got higher as he got older.he did outgrow it but not before me having to have a whole new wardrobe of clothes :D :D
he growled and was manic for most of his awake time.
i changed his food from pedigree puppy to jwb.the difference was amazing.it wasn't a cure all i still had a lot of training to do with him but the food change enabled me to train.
he is 17 months now and fantastic.he still has his mad moments but to me he is a dream.
the sofa and our bed were major flash points with paddy.he eventually learned the sofa was for sitting on not an opportunity to bully whoever happened to be sitting next to him.our only problem now is behind the sofa.he went for jim last week whilst there but the circumstances were a one off.
he will settle.you need to be firm but fair.

Penel

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 07:40:56 PM »
Awww sorry but your post really made me laugh - the idea of a 10 wk old puppy getting ideas above his station  ;) :lol:  cockers are vocal, noisy, growly - call it what you like.  They are also very clever, and will quickly realise if they make that noise, and get a reaction and the result that they want, that they have been successful in their mission, and will repeat it !  all my dogs (I have 5) get on the furniture - if I want them to move I say move over, 3 of them move on request, the other 2 get shoved over - if they growl, they get pushed off.... simple...
Puppies don't have ideas above their station, they are just trying out new things to see what the reaction will be.
Our first cocker puppy was a right pain in the backside, she was bitey, and noisy and bossy - but utterly adorable, and was the dog of my lifetime without a doubt. 
Have you read The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey - if you haven't - get it tomorrow  ;) and stop worrying, and relax and enjoy your bitey growly noisy bossy cocker puppy  :005:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 07:47:08 PM »
Our first cocker puppy was a right pain in the backside, she was bitey, and noisy and bossy - but utterly adorable, and was the dog of my lifetime without a doubt. 

Sounds just like Ruby as a pup ::) and she turned into a fantastic adult. Positve reinforement/training and patience (lots of it) will get you through and it will seem like it takes for ever. Some pups are just more challenging than others especially if they're quite confident.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Penel

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 07:50:46 PM »

Sounds just like Ruby as a pup ::) and she turned into a fantastic adult. Positve reinforement/training and patience (lots of it) will get you trhough and it will seem like it takes for ever. Some pups are just more challenging than others especially if they're quite confident.

and I just love a good challenge  :luv: :lol:

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 07:55:52 PM »

Sounds just like Ruby as a pup ::) and she turned into a fantastic adult. Positve reinforement/training and patience (lots of it) will get you trhough and it will seem like it takes for ever. Some pups are just more challenging than others especially if they're quite confident.

i'll send ellie to you first class post then penel :005:and you can send me lovely tilly ;)

and I just love a good challenge  :luv: :lol:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 07:59:20 PM »
 :lol: @ Lyn! :005:

Offline Birtles

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 12:08:46 PM »

He also growled at me when I lifted him off the sofa, because he's too young to jump down. Do you think it's a bad idea to let him up on the same level as me where I sit?

Now in the garden he is going for my trousers, but making rather viscous sounding growly noises, very over the top, and over excited. I wonder whether I should ignore him, or tell him no (but that gives him attention).

Hi, think its just as the others say its 'cockers'.   >:D
Monty is now 15weeks old and everytime we take him for a walk he chases/bites/attacks our trousers. barks like mad and just goes off his head, obviously a game to him  but very embarrassing in the park  ::)  It always happens about 15minutes after being on the walk so we think hes thinking Ive seen the park now what else can i do whats fun, yes attack some trousers etc  :lol: we can hardly walk at times hes running around/in and out through our legs etc........ just stick it out then he gets bored and moves onto something else  :005:
As for the furniture... we would  :luv: to have monty sitting next to us on the sofa etc but don't allow it simply because we have young children and want that to be their space/escape and he can't continue to jump all over them.  just like his crate is his space, our sofa is ours and if we want to play or cuddle him we get down onto the floor.  suppose just personal preference.
Must admit we are going through some things with monty too but just keep thinking hes young, enjoying life and doesnt set out to upset us at times and if he does something wrong then usually thats down to us and lack of understanding/training.
good luck

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 12:37:47 PM »
Personally I would take no notice of the growling, act like nothing has happened! If there are areas where he is clearly not happy with what you are doing, I would from this point forward make them rewarding. Before you pick him up give him a treat, then give him another when you put him down - it is better that you teach him that it is a good thing to be picked up, than wait for him to get it wrong and feel the need to chastise him ;)
Over excited puppies who run around biting and growling and chasing any thing that moves are completely normal, it is not exclusive to cockers. Quite simply ignore it, leave the garden your self, or wherever he does it, by you being calm you will teach him to be calm, impersonate a lampost until he calms down! :005:
You have to forget the whole 'dominance' theory, it will only make you anxious. Just be calm and kind and consistent. He is such a baby who is finding out how the world works by using the equipment he was born with, it is up to you to teach him what is good using positive, kind, calm,  methods. Agressive dogs are not born, they are made ;)