Author Topic: Agressive episodes ... help!  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Alfie

• Site Member
  • Alfie's Mum
Agressive episodes ... help!
« on: October 29, 2006, 10:29:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

i am desperately in need of some advice and reassurance that Alfie's behaviour is normal puppy behaviour.

He is 15 weeks old and for the last few weeks has been having sudden outbursts of what appears to be aggression.  This normally happens during his walks. He is normally very good and walks by my side but after a few minutes out of nowhere he seems to get a rush of 'excitement'  and starts growling and snapping at the backs of my legs.  I mentioned this to the trainer at his puppy classes who advised me that he is merely getting himself over excited to the point where he cannot control himself and i should try to ignore him till he calms down.

I have tried the above however it can be really painful not to mention embarrassing as he looks completely out of control to onlookers   :embarassed:   Today I feel as if the episodes are becoming more frequent and I can be just walking across the room when he takes a lunge at my legs and just hangs from any peice of clothing he can catch.  We have never had this problem in the house and he is normally reasonably well behaved and just wants to play/cuddle  :angel:

Is this normal and does anyone have any idea how it can be stopped?  I worry that if he became over excited when playing with my neighbours children he could do some damage.

Sorry for the long post x
Alfie's Mum

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Re: Agressive episodes ... help!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 10:37:03 PM »
 :005: :005:

Sorry I just have a vision of a pup hanging off your trousers whilst you try to do the hoovering.

Serioulsy, it can be so annoying, but it sounds to me like play behaviour, but a behaviour you really need to stop.

I would remove him from the room when he does this and ignore him. Put in another room for up to a 30 secs, then a min - no longer. the let him back in totally ignoring him, when he does something good, praise and play with him. If he does it again you have to keep repeating yourself.

He needs to learn that behaviour will not get any attention, posirtive or negative.

Good Luck  :005:
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 10:43:57 PM »
Have just had a terrier pup that did this but she could bounce really high so she kept grabbing my arms instead. It is a pain but normal I'm afraid --- as cathy said either remove pup or yourself from the room if 'no' doesn't work.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 11:00:57 PM »
Its sounds very similar to what Barney does but poor Max, my golden ret, gets the brunt of it.

Like you, I was very alarmed and he started almost as soon as we brought him home.  If he was out on the drive with the other two when a visitor arrived, they'd all naturally go and greet the visitor. But then Barney would start with growling and snapping and attaching himself to the back of Max's back legs. He'd do it until the visitor had come inside. Its sounds dreadful.  ph34r Like he's savaging Max.  Apart from anything else its so embarrasing.

In the end my trainer friend came to witness him in action. She said the same as your trainer, he's just really excited. She pointed out that Max is paying absolutely no attention to him what so ever and we should take his lead. So I do, I ignore him.  Occassionally I do step in and get him to sit and stay, which calms him.
It did start to ease but recently it ramped up again just as all his hormones were kicking in and other behaviour materialised.  ::)

So it does sound similar to me. Have you taught him to be sent to his bed/crate? I do that sometimes if they get mega excited when a visitor comes, and it really calms them down. 

Basically you don't want to reward it in any way, ignoring him is one way. If its not working I think perhaps that if he does it at home the second he starts, walk out of the room and leave him there for 30 seconds then go back in and carry on as before. Repeat every time. This will teach him that behaviour makes you go away and he won't want that, so hopefully he'll stop.  It is normal puppy behaviour, it doesn't mean he's going to be aggressive so don't worry about that.  ;)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 08:38:51 AM »
Our puppy Charlie did it right from when we got him at 8 weeks, but our previous two didn't (unless i've blocked this memory out  :005:).  Its normal puppy rough and tumble play and he would be worse in the mornings when he could hang on to loose dressing gowns and fluffy slippers, he even made my mums leg bleed on a particulary energetic day  :o.  We found as well as training as mentioned before, we also used a spray that tastes bitter to dogs (smelled like citronella). I don't know if other col members would agree with using it but it really helped on mornings when there was four people trying to get ready for work in a rush  :005:.

Millie

Offline Alfie

• Site Member
  • Alfie's Mum
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 06:57:28 PM »
Thanks soo much for the reassurance.  It really helps to here that Alfie is not alone with this behaviour.  He has had a few of his little tantrums today but we have been pretty consistent with removing him from the room and he seems to be getting the message.  I think he is as exhausted as I am with all the repitition!  :005:

I feel guilty with all this talk of his behaviour as most of the time he really is a little sweetheart  :luv: :luv: :luv:
Alfie's Mum

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 08:24:22 PM »
We've all been there.

Not sure we would have survived puppy-hood without the combined knowledge and experience of COL.

It's repetitious, exhausting and seems like it's never-ending. Then suddenly you realise that you haven't had to discipline that behaviour for a while (and of course, a new bad behaviour starts then. Just to keep you on your toes!). In the end though, you should have a lovely dog which you can enjoy living with.

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 10:29:52 PM »
i can distinctly remember when barkley was a similar age practically needing to hold a waste paper bin between himself and me on a couple of occasions in order to stop him from lunging at me. i'm pretty sure it was indeed over-excitement. no doubt i posted on in here in desperation and was told to try leaving the room and so this is what i did. it didn't seem to have the desired effect of teaching him a lesson at the time because barkley would simply go and start playing with a toy but with hindsight i see that this was indeed what calmed him down and he quickly passed through that phase, as he has with so many other behaviours. you just have to try to be consistent and he will learn.

at 10 months old, we're well into adolescence with all the phases that it brings but 'consistency and patience' is my mantra.  ;)
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 11:49:48 PM »
at 10 months old, we're well into adolescence with all the phases that it brings but 'consistency and patience' is my mantra.  ;)

the other mantra is 'I will not kill my puppy, I will not kill my puppy' ::) :005:
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 07:51:30 AM »

the other mantra is 'I will not kill my puppy, I will not kill my puppy' ::) :005:

and 'I will also not kill anyone who says "Oh, I thought you had taken her to training"' >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 08:42:31 AM »

and 'I will also not kill anyone who says "Oh, I thought you had taken her to training"  >:(

:005:
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'