Author Topic: What have i let myself in for?!!  (Read 5205 times)

Offline dexter and dillon's mum

• Site Member
What have i let myself in for?!!
« on: November 01, 2006, 01:20:33 PM »
After wanting a cocker spaniel for soooooo long i am now the very proud owner of not one but two beautifull puppies!!!!
my indecisiveness got the better of me and after buying the one, i had to call the breeder to reserve the other one too.  i just couldn't decide!! What a sucker for punishment! i was always going to have two but just 12 months apart....but hey...at least i get all the puppy training out of the way in one go!
they are 1/2 brothers but the breeder advised me that this shouldn't be a problem with regards to them bonding.
just wondered if anyone else has ever brought two pups at the same time and any useful tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Picking my little boys up on the 16th November and i think we are pretty much prepared...although i'm sure there will be lots of things i have forgotten!!  Dexter will be 8 1/2 weeks and Dillon will be 8 weeks old.  I can't wait!!!!!!!!! :luv:
Amy - Dexter and Dillons Mummy

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Re: What have i let myself in for?!!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 01:55:13 PM »
Welcome !

Please post lots of pictures. Enjoy them

Good Luck..  :005:
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 01:59:43 PM »
All I can say is Good Luck you're gonna need it.... :005:  Two can be extremely hard work

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 02:33:57 PM »
Aww two v lovely - there was someone on here last week that got two might be worth contacting her I will try and fnid the tread - there was a lot of negative comments cos she got two though

I'm struggling with one.!

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 02:34:49 PM »
Good Luck, I have two working cocker dogs only 10 weeks apart in age and it is hard work but if you are prepared to put the time and effort in then it is very rewarding.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 02:42:32 PM »
This subject has come up many times before so if you do a search, you'll find plenty of other threads. You'll get members who've done this successfully who will say it's a great idea to have two together but it does not always work out and you need to look at what might go wrong and work very hard to avoid any problems occurring in the future. This is particularly true if you are a first time dog owner without experience of training puppies - many first time owners find one puppy hard work but you will need to work even harder with two puppies which means having the time to train and walk them separately while they are young. This separate training time is essential if you want the pups to bond with you and not become too dependant on each other. Raising two puppies together can be done but it's not easy and not something that too many reputable breeders would recommend.
Jane

Offline Birtles

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 02:48:22 PM »
 :005:  best of luck, think you'll need it with your hands full.  We can just about manage with 1, constant with one thing and another... training, toileting, playing, walks etc........ maybe youve got more energy than me.........   Then again I have 2 kids too. suppose if you dont have all the other commitments then it will be fine, hard work but fun and worth it in the end.
 ;) good luck, want to see lots of pics when they arrive

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 02:49:10 PM »
   :blink:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 05:52:25 PM »
I bet you can't wait to get them home :D

I had two Newf pups together, brother and sister, and it was great. They kept each other company when I was busy, and having someone else to play with meant they left our old girl alone. We did have seperate training times and although we don't always walk them seperately we used to take them out 80-90% of the time apart, just so they didn't get too reliant on one another. There are times even now that they drive me scatty when they are charging in and out of the house, but they would do that even if there was a couple of years difference in their age.

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 05:53:23 PM »
You are so brave..... like the others have said, one cocker pup is a handful, let alone two   :lol:

I have just collected my new pup (she 8.5 weeks) and, believe me, it's hard work, and I've done it before (Scooby is 2).  I waited until Scoobs was a little older and settled before getting another (although I'm not judging you because it's each to their own as far as I'm concerned  ;)).

I suppose it's like being pregnant with one baby and then speaking to someone who's having twins  :005:

Anyway, looking forward to hearing about their exploits (and, of course, seeing some gorg pics)  ;)

Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 06:11:58 PM »
Double trouble!!  :005:

Its so exciting getting a new puppy, and your getting two so you must be doubley excited!

I think perhaps you better get lots and lots of sleep now, I bet you won't get much when they arrive.  ;)

Two puppies is not something I could manage, one puppy is very hard work particularly in the beginning during toilet training. I have three dogs of different ages and I have to train each one seperately as well as together. It is hard work and time consuming but I wouldn't have it any other way.  :D

Good luck and don't forget to post lots of pics of your lovely boys.  ;)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline CAG

• Site Member
  • my girls, crumpet and hannah, both little tinkers
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 06:20:45 PM »
Best of look to you , personally i don`t let two go from the same litter but that is just my feelings, lots of people do, and it works out fine. save your newspapers!

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 07:31:41 PM »
I have twins (plus 3 singletons) and to be honest they have been fab together a proper pair of nutters. Very different in personality and size but soooo much fun. Hard work but defo worth it.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 08:21:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum and Good Luck!!  :005: ;)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx