Author Topic: What have i let myself in for?!!  (Read 5206 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Re: What have i let myself in for?!!
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2006, 11:30:35 PM »
Please read all the posts and make up your own mind.  I've never had litter mates so can't really comment but you need to read the posts of those who have.  Some may warn you of problems - some may point out the advantages. 

If you do take on two pups - it will be soooo hard (and heart breaking) to admit defeat and return one if you have to.  Could you harden your heart and just have one??  If not then I really do wish you the best - it will be very hard work until they are 'grown ups' but I'm sure they will be worth it if you can get through the rough months  :D

My breeder also kept springers along with working cockers and had '3' litters in the summer!  This didn't make her a bad breeder in my eyes - she was very keen to learn about me before she let my have Ben ................. and I also have to add that she wouldn't let one buyer have two pups at the same time?

Good luck with whatever you decide - we are all here to help ;)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2006, 08:08:10 AM »
Yes there is an 'affix' - not sure if I can say what it is - but a search on COL and Google does not bring any thing up. 

I'm not too knowlegeable in this area but someone on here will point you in the right direction,

This is a question for the people in the know - is there anyway by looking at the KC web site you could get any inkling about the said breeder of Dexter and Dillion? (Or dig deeper in to past etc)

I feel that if you want to go ahead you should really do a lot more searching into this breeder or as others have said walk away and look for another breeder.
Good luck with what ever you decide - please don't think we are all putting you or your decision down we are just trying to help you in getting healthy pups ;) and save you from a lot of heart ache. What ever you do we will help you with any problems and questions you may have along the way.

I personally have found this site a life line when I thought things weren't going as they meant to etc and to be able to ask questions of people with more experience with cockers is a great benefit

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2006, 10:03:07 AM »
This is a question for the people in the know - is there anyway by looking at the KC web site you could get any inkling about the said breeder of Dexter and Dillion? (Or dig deeper in to past etc)

Dexter and Dillon's Mum has contacted me privately and I have been able to do some digging in my KC records. I'm not going to name the kennel publicly for obvious reasons but the breeder concerned is a multi-breed commercial kennel (several popular pedigree breeds and a currently fashionable cross breed). It's licenced so is a legitimate business not an illegal puppy farm. As far as I can see there is no evidence of dogs being shown by this kennel and breeding patterns are what you would expect of a commercial breeder producing puppies for the pet market ie 13 litters of Cockers registered last year, all sired by the same two stud dogs owned by the kennel. It's probably not the sort of breeder most people on here would recommend but when it comes down to it, it's Dexter and Dillon's Mum's decision ;)

Jane

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »

Dexter and Dillon's Mum has contacted me privately and I have been able to do some digging in my KC records. I'm not going to name the kennel publicly for obvious reasons but the breeder concerned is a multi-breed commercial kennel (several popular pedigree breeds and a currently fashionable cross breed). It's licenced so is a legitimate business not an illegal puppy farm. As far as I can see there is no evidence of dogs being shown by this kennel and breeding patterns are what you would expect of a commercial breeder producing puppies for the pet market ie 13 litters of Cockers registered last year, all sired by the same two stud dogs owned by the kennel. It's probably not the sort of breeder most people on here would recommend but when it comes down to it, it's Dexter and Dillon's Mum's decision ;)

I thought it didn't sound quite right with the mixed litters and 'gundog' beagles... Dexter and Dillon's Mum, it's definitely your decision whether or not to get puppies from such a breeder but please do think very carefully about it. There are a lot of excellent breeders out there who you could also get your pups from (although maybe one at a time!)  ;) :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline dexter and dillon's mum

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2006, 01:01:19 PM »
i don't really know much about beagles.......i thought they were gun dogs?! the breeder did not tell me they were!!
i may also be wrong about the colouring of Dillon (he may be orange/white), all i know is whether he is lemon or orange (which really doesn't bother me?!) they both will be well loved pets and i will take the time and effort to make sure they grow up to be lovely dogs.  The same applies to with Dillon being working/show!!

Thank you for all the replies on this thread....i have taken on board all the advice and have decided to keep Dexter and Dillon  :luv:

I will post pictures as i have them!!
Amy - Dexter and Dillons Mummy

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2006, 01:33:22 PM »
Good luck with your pups ;)
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
  • Can we go home yet.....?
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2006, 02:09:22 PM »
You are a braver woman than me.....I wish you the best of luck with them  :D 

For what it's worth, when we were going to have Max and Harry, many people said to train them seperately and walk them seperately in order that they bond with you as well as each other.  However, you know that we changed our minds though - it would have been terrible for us to have had to rehome one of them - the children would never have forgiven me.  I would never have forgiven myself though if they had been so unruly with each other that they had jeopardised both the children's and their own safety. (thanks for the link to the double trouble thread that somebody did for me  :P lots to learn here!)

I hope, like me that you've found this site hugely useful.  I for one will be revisiting as I trust people's opinions and experiences here.  Hope that you come back and show us the photos soon  :luv:
Harry the Sprocker - crossbreed I know, but still gorgeous !

"Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
 Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.
 Just walk beside me & be my friend." (and STOP PULLING!!)

Albert Camus

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2006, 02:25:47 PM »
Enjoy your puppies
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2006, 06:43:50 PM »
Thank you for all the replies on this thread....i have taken on board all the advice and have decided to keep Dexter and Dillon  :luv:

I can understand your decision, as it must be very difficult to back out once you have seen and committed to particular puppies :(

Would you consider not recommending the breeder you are getting Dexter and Dillon from to others? Perhaps you could direct them to COL instead - explaining that Dexter and Dillon were bred by someone who exploits dogs for profit :(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2006, 08:12:11 PM »
they both will be well loved pets and i will take the time and effort to make sure they grow up to be lovely dogs.  The same applies to  Dillon being working/show!!

I will post pictures as i have them!!

I'm sure you will give them a lovely home  ;) and take great care of them ;) Please please keep on here and post any questions problems you may have along the way. (we're here to help support each other and share our experiences, well I speak for myself obviously but am sure that's why everyone else is here too ;))

And it is a definate MUST that you post some pics of your new family, can't wait to see them

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2006, 08:15:10 PM »
I wish you well, and can understand your decision.

Do please stay around so we can see them and continue to help (and be helped) as necessary.

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2006, 10:13:37 PM »
Congratulations on your two new family members!  i know you have been warned of the pitfalls but you have gone with your heart  :luv: The heart has let a few members of COL down but has also proved right with others!

Please let us have pics soon and I wish you all the best with your two new babies  ;)

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2006, 01:10:04 PM »
This is only my personal experience but I went with my heart and got 2 pups 10 weeks apart in age and it is brilliant having them both.  One is a working cocker, one is a working x show (hence my interest in why one of yours is working x show). 

Can't wait to see the pics of your 2 new babies :luv: :luv:.  Most new owners experience probs or want advice however many pups they have, this site is excellent for any help you might need or if you just want to talk about how lovely your dogs are :D.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx