Author Topic: vaccinations  (Read 892 times)

Offline megbug

• Site Member
vaccinations
« on: November 29, 2006, 03:55:46 PM »
this might be a stupid question but....

i'm getting my new pup beginning of jan and it'll be my first dog so im not really sure about the rules for vaccinations. from reading on here, ive gathered that theres two (8 and 10 weeks approx) and that its approx a week after 2nd you can take them out for walks because of possibility of infection etc.

my question is... i live quite rurally, next to a dog kennel for a sporting estate. the dogs from the kennel run about our garden sometimes, as do pheasants, deer, foxes etc. is there chance on infection then just taking our pup outside to the toilet in the garden or am i being over-anxious? i presume the dogs from kennels would be fully vaccinated but the wild animals could carry diseases? so confused... :-\

thanks

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: vaccinations
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 03:59:42 PM »
Is there any way you can block off your garden? Or use a confined 'safe' area of it for the puppy? I wouldn't worry so much about pheasants and deer but other dogs and foxes can certainly carry diseases which are communicable to a small puppy. I wouldn't be happy about letting them into the garden if there were other dogs and foxes using it tbh  :-\
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 05:14:09 PM »
I wouldn't be happy about letting them into the garden if there were other dogs and foxes using it tbh  :-\

Oo-er, me neither; can you not secure your garden prior to your pup arriving?

Not only to prevent risky visitors - but if the neighbours dogs and local wildlife can get in, then your very inquisitive puppy will be able to get out, and that poses all sorts of dangers  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline megbug

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 02:35:29 PM »
think im gonna have to construct some sort of fence. i'v got a hedge surrounding the garden but that doesn't keep anything in OR out!

thanks for the advice!!!