Author Topic: So....who can tell me all about Primula then?!  (Read 14343 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: So....who can tell me all about Primula then?!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 05:19:16 PM »
Pizzles.....right......I'll look for those!  I'll also invest in a tube of Primula (yuk!  :P Can't stand the stuff personally, but it's all in the name of puppy training!!)

It's gross, I hate it as well and the worst bit is when he tries to give me cheesy kisses afterwards.. YUCK!  :P :P :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 05:30:26 PM »
Pizzles.....right......I'll look for those! 

You can get all sorts of natural treats which my dogs love. I had to look around for things when Sapphi started to have problems with things like hide. Some of them I haven't brought myself to get  ph34r But I've had alot of them, and they all go down very well. Cows ears, although they are big, are a great alternative to pigs ears as they are not as fatty.

Here's a website that has a great variety: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/natural_treats
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 05:43:30 PM »
I am investing in a harness for Blue, who pulls like you wouldnt believe  >:D  I will try Primula as I am sick of going in my pocket and pulling out sweaty cheese  :005: :005:yuk :005:

Offline lor

• Site Member
  • "Who me?.......With my reputation"
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 09:09:56 PM »
Amber loves pigs' ears and has not suffered any bad effects (yet) - she has two a week and they last for ages!!
I think I'll try the primula on walks - it will make a change from grappling in my pockets for squished liver cake and festering cheese :005:

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 09:36:02 PM »
I use the primula as a high value reward for recall, i just squeeze about 1/2" each time lucy returns successfully and she licks it off the end of the tube.

As for pigs ears - Lucy had a recent visit to the emergency vet for stomach problems most likely caused by a pigs ear according to the vet who went on to say he had seen many cases of throat lacerations and digestive problems caused by pigs ears, he said he would not give them to his own dog and suggested the hide bones as an alternative. I'm not sure that hide can be any better than pigs ears but we have taken the pigs ears off the diet and she has been fine ever since.

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 10:09:25 PM »
Our dog trainer also suggested tubes of cheese to save bending down in clicker training and bringing to heel.  Also helped with the children as they were worried that they'd loose their fingers giving little titbits of cheese (and they didn't like smell on their hands).

However, a word of warning, probably best to label it as the dogs!

Yes, my OH came home and was merrily using it for his sandwiches and only later learnt he was sharing the dogs slobbered over tube - after I questioned how quickly it get used up! :005: :005: :005: Face was a picture though!

He still doesn't walk to heel but the dogs are better!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 10:15:10 PM »
However, a word of warning, probably best to label it as the dogs!

Yes, my OH came home and was merrily using it for his sandwiches and only later learnt he was sharing the dogs slobbered over tube - after I questioned how quickly it get used up! :005: :005: :005: Face was a picture though!

He still doesn't walk to heel but the dogs are better!
pmsl  :rofl1: :rofl1:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
  • Can we go home yet.....?
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 08:56:10 PM »
Yes, my OH came home and was merrily using it for his sandwiches and only later learnt he was sharing the dogs slobbered over tube - after I questioned how quickly it get used up!    Face was a picture though

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Harry the Sprocker - crossbreed I know, but still gorgeous !

"Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
 Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.
 Just walk beside me & be my friend." (and STOP PULLING!!)

Albert Camus

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 10:25:14 PM »
Hiyaaaaaaaaa

I used it to smear on his kong when he was little - he never quite got into the kong - might try it again now....  Now when you mention not to use it on your sarnies - well..  I was putting it straigh from the tube onto the kong smeering as I went - then I came in one day and my step daughter was putting it straight onto her crackers in the same manner.. ph34r whoops haha!.... :005: :005: :005:

I also use beef paste in the kong

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 11:49:46 PM »
I use the primula as a high value reward for recall, i just squeeze about 1/2" each time lucy returns successfully and she licks it off the end of the tube.

As for pigs ears - Lucy had a recent visit to the emergency vet for stomach problems most likely caused by a pigs ear according to the vet who went on to say he had seen many cases of throat lacerations and digestive problems caused by pigs ears, he said he would not give them to his own dog and suggested the hide bones as an alternative. I'm not sure that hide can be any better than pigs ears but we have taken the pigs ears off the diet and she has been fine ever since.

Sapphi had hide from being a pup. At the beginning of this year, she'd just turned 2, she started to throw up in a morning. Yellow bile with bits of hide in. This went on for a few mornings. I took her to the vets a couple of times and in the end the vet said that her stomach obviously wasn't able to digest the hide and after a while the stomach was getting rid of it the only way it could. I removed all hide and her sickness stopped. However pigs ears go down a treat, without any upset! Just goes to show whats right for one, isn't always right for another.  ;)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline JaneES

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 08:28:28 AM »
I put Primula inside the Kong for Frankie if I am leaving him at home for a couple of hours. He loves it, the kong keeps him amused for ages! 

A lady at our obedience uses the tube of primula too to reward her dog.

Jane (owned by Charlie, Frankie,Jaymae & Callum)

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
  • Can we go home yet.....?
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 11:40:30 AM »
Just ordered Pizzles  ;)
errrrmm ......and a Christmas toy set  :lol:

see how we go with them.... :005:
Harry the Sprocker - crossbreed I know, but still gorgeous !

"Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
 Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.
 Just walk beside me & be my friend." (and STOP PULLING!!)

Albert Camus

Offline dood

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 10:02:02 PM »
Bought some yesterday -she loves it! Looked so funny when I misjudged it and it went all over her nose and she was frantically trying to reach every last bit. :005: Bless!

Sam and Poppy xxx