Author Topic: insurence  (Read 2151 times)

Offline dollar

• Site Member
insurence
« on: July 14, 2002, 08:59:18 PM »
A few weeks a go I wrote a article praising animal insurence
I still believe that it is a good thing.
If you have it and have the need to use it as I did please do
not expect a prompt settlement.My Spaniel had a operation in April and I did not recieve payment from the Ins company until the end of June and everything was done by the book.
The vets report was impecable. :'(                    
dollar

Offline Jude

• Site Member
insurence
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2002, 09:15:04 PM »
I have had a bad experience of pet insurance.

My 4 year old cocker dog died suddenly and unexpectedly of a brain anerysm.  As it was undiagnosed I was not covered by insurance.  Despite vet intervention they would not reconsider and they would not even pay for the cremation.   I had never made any previous claim from them nor had my dog been to the vet for anything other than boosters and kennel cough vaccination.
They did offer me £50 'as a gesture of goodwill' but omitted to sign the cheque.  I did eventually accept another cheque 'as a gesture of goodwill' as it was too distressing to keep talking about it.   This was a very big company who are no longer  recommended by vets in my area.  

Pleased you had a good outcome though.                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
insurence
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2002, 04:56:33 PM »
Hi All,
Sorry to hear of the distressing time you had with your dog Jude.

There may be some of you that won't agree with me, but instead of insuring my dogs (and with having 4 that would be a considerable monthly premium) I have a 'dog fund' which basically is the same as rainy day savings. If ever any of mine need anything, (which has included a £400+ caesarean), the money is there to pay for it.
It is nice to have peace of mind that insurance gives for anything really major but luckily mine are pretty healthy (touch wood) and its only Meg who needs to be seen from time to time with her ear problem.
I found I was paying money out each month for quite a few years and I only ever claimed once. I would never try to persuade anyone to drop their insurance, but it works for me.                    

Offline Jude

• Site Member
insurence
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2002, 08:41:44 PM »
Michele I totally agree with you about the 'doggie fund'.  They also have their own holiday fund too.                    

Offline mgw

• Site Member
insurence
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 08:38:48 AM »
As a newbie to the forums , which pet insurance plan would any of you good people recommend  :?:                    
Mark

Offline PennyB

insurence
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 08:46:52 AM »
Sadly, cremation and euthanasia are exclusions of most policies.

A 'dog fund' would be useless in our house as I'm self-employed and permanently seem to have a cash flow problem! Wilf's recently had cancer and we've so far spent about £2000 (just before Christmas) and the insurance company (PetPlan) paid up within days of the form being received by them.

With pet insurance you get what you pay for!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
insurence
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 10:56:26 AM »
I'm just putting a claim in for Phoebe so I hope that it goes smoothly. Never had to do it before. A doggie fund would be a good idea but there's always the temptation to dip into it!                    
Anita

lynseyloo

insurence
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 12:07:50 PM »
never had insurance for poppy.. never thought the need, shes never been ill .. *touch wood* in her whole 9 years.. except for now developping slow formin catteracts..which are very common in yorkies.. but jessie .. well as she lollops everywhere ears flapping, I thought I must get insurance.. was with argos..checked and re checked.. and reliased that for a year she was only covered for per year policy.. so just changed to pet plan.. as they were recommended .. but almsot doubled my premium, but like penny said..you get what you pay for.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
insurence
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 12:27:01 PM »
As a newbie to the forums , which pet insurance plan would any of you good people recommend  :?:

I ended up using Morethan. They cover my pup for £10 a month, and fees up to £6000. Just consider that some companies will pay per condition, and some will pay per year, which makes a long standing thing like diabetes not covered for example.

Just compare compare compare -we decided £6K was reasonable cover wise, so went with morethan. Don't be swayed by the couple of months free cover, and make sure to read ALL the small print.
Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
insurence
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 12:29:23 PM »
Hi All,
Sorry to hear of the distressing time you had with your dog Jude.

There may be some of you that won't agree with me, but instead of insuring my dogs (and with having 4 that would be a considerable monthly premium) I have a 'dog fund' which basically is the same as rainy day savings. If ever any of mine need anything, (which has included a £400+ caesarean), the money is there to pay for it.  
It is nice to have peace of mind that insurance gives for anything really major but luckily mine are pretty healthy (touch wood) and its only Meg who needs to be seen from time to time with her ear problem.
I found I was paying money out each month for quite a few years and I only ever claimed once. I would never try to persuade anyone to drop their insurance, but it works for me.

MY husband wanted to do this. Basically, I told him that I was insuring myself from him, lol, as he would have balked at paying £500 out of any fund for an accident, or sudden problem. This way the inurance hopefully take care of it. Also, I only pay 120 a year, and if something happened within the first couple of years I could well have been way short, but it's a good idea if you are disciplined savers!

Shona :wink:                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)