Cocker Activities > Other Activities

KCGCDS special pre-beginner obedience stakes

(1/3) > >>

sportsmonki:
I wrote this for one of the clubs I belong to, for them to put into their newsletter.

I'll paste it here also in case anyone is interested:

The Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme Special Pre-Beginner Obedience Stakes

In 2005 the Kennel Club introduced a new competition aimed to encourage people who had gained the Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme (KCGCDS) Bronze award into competitive obedience.

Heats were held throughout the country and the best border collie/working sheepdog/or cross breed resembling a collie, and the best ‘anything but a  collie’ went throught to the finals.  If the dog from either category was already qualified then the qualifier was passed on to the next highest placed dog from the respective category.  Heats usually have 45-59 entries/dogs in them.

Due to the number of dogs that qualified for the final last year a new step was introduced.  Again, the best BC/WSD and the best ABC from each heat went through, but this time there was a semi-final that these qualified dogs needed to attend.  For heats held in the north the semi-final was held at the Working and Pastoral breeds championship breed show in Edingburgh, and dogs that qualified in the south went to the semi-final at Discover Dogs in London. 

At each semi-final there were 10 qualifying places up for grabs.  The 5 best BC/WSD and the five best ABC would qualify for the finals to be held at Crufts 2007.  In this way there will be a total of 20 dogs in the final at Crufts, 10 BC/WSD and 10 ABC.

The exercises included in the test are a combination of the KCGCDS Bronze award and an open obedience pre-beginner round.  No food or toys are allowed in an obedience test (except for during the play exercise of this particular class)  The exercises are performed in the order predecided by the judge.

To compete in the class a dog and hander must be eligible to compete at Pre-Beginner level at open shows (i.e. they havent won anything), and the dog must hold it’s KCGCDS Bronze award.

Play with and motivate the dog

A toy may be used for this exercise!

Gate

The hander should leave the dog in the sit, down or stand.  They then open the gate and walk through.  The dog is then called through under control, and placed in either the sit, down or stand. The handler should then close the gate.

Heel on lead

The judge sets out a heelwork pattern that all teams must follow.  It may include circles, right, left and about turns, straight lines and halts.  The judge is looking for the dog to maintain a consistent position with it’s shoulder level with and close to the handlers left leg, and for the dog to sit quickly at the handlers side when the handler halts.

Recall

The novice recall involves the dog being left in the sit or down.  The hander (on the stewards commands) walks away from the dog, turns and faces the dog, and calls it.  The dog should come quickly and in  a straight line to end up sitting in front of the handler.  The dog should then ‘finish’ moving either behind the handler, or in a tight circle to the left of the handler, to end up sitting next to the handler’s left leg.

Examination

The handler should show the judge that they can perform a thorough examination of the dog without the dog resisting or showing aggression.

Stay

All the dogs perform this exercise at the same time.  The dogs can be left in any position (either the sit, down or stand).  The handlers leave the dogs and walk into the centre of the ring.  They remain in sight of their dogs, and the exercise lasts for 1 minute.  After a minute they return to their dogs, and when the steward announces that the exercise is finished the handlers can release their dogs.  The dogs should remain in the position they were left in, and handlers are not allowed to give any extra commands to their dogs (verbally or physically) one the test has started.

If your dog holds his/her KCGCDS Bronze award and you are interested in competitive obedience then this class is definitely worth entering.  It’s a great introduction to competition work, and you may even get the chance to compete at Discover Dogs or even at Crufts!

There was one cocker (show-type) in the finals last year; and this year two cockers qualified for the semi-final (both in the south).  One was working-type, and the other show-type.  The show-type qualified through to the final.  It would be great to see more cockers having a go at the heats, and hopefully going through to the semi-final and final  :D

When I get a list of the qualifying heats for 2007 I'll paste them up here if anyone is interested.

Mollycuddles:
Thanks for that and yes I find it interesting and I'm sure others will too ;)

Is that what I entered the other day? ::)  It was under KC rules the pre-beginners Molly was entered in we had to walk to heel on lead then walk to heel off lead, recall with a finish (I do the German method, think it's easier) then sit and stay for one minute then down stay for 3 mins in a group both of which you have to return to the dog without it moving till the judge says so.
Molly has her Bronze and Silver plus that second in the match obedience If this isn't the same thing I suppose she doesn't qualify.

George has his Bronze ... scrapped through on his second attempt if only he would concentrate then I would consider entering him ...... perhaps next year .......

Gosh you do know your stuff I am a bit naive with this as it's all quite new and I do try and listen to what I'm told it's not just George who needs to concentrate his mum does too ... wish I started doing obedience years ago .... but you can teach an old dog new tricks ph34r :005:

sportsmonki:
Hi mollycuddles.

I am glad you found it interesting, thank you  :D

The 'pre-beginner' class you mentioned would be the same as at an open show (i.e. same exercises), but the down stay is for 2 minutes (not 3).

I believe the class you entered the other day was an inter-club match?  It is only placings at open/championship shows that count when considering eligibility for a class.  Placings from limit and companion shows and matches do not count.  So Molly is definitely still eligible for the class  :D (she would have to have won out of pre-beginner i.e. to have been awarded a 1st at open/champ in pre-beginner or beginner or a third at open/champ in novice or higher to become ineligible.  Also, once a handler has won out of pre-beginner with a dog, they can't go back, not even with a 'new' dog) 

You can still enter if your dog has KCGCDS silver or gold...bronze is the minimum requirement for the class. :)

Hope you consider entering them both at a heat (or two?) next year?  :D

Mollycuddles:
Yep definitely will consider it will see how they both shape up for next year, Molly will be starting the hold and fetch next week at training, she does this ok with her ball but have only just started her with the dumbbell and using the hold command, she does hold it when I ask her, but not too keen on retrieving it yet, I'm sure she will soon and the class will guide us in the right direction :blink:

sportsmonki:
 :D if she has the hold it sounds like you are doing really well.

Good Luck with their winter training  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version