Author Topic: Travel sick  (Read 11964 times)

Offline bobby

• Site Member
Travel sick
« on: September 14, 2002, 12:26:12 PM »
Hi all,

Bailey has been in the car 4 times now and each time he has been sick, when i picked him up he was sick 3 times on the way home, and once on the back from the vets.

This troubles me as we travel to the beach, beach fishing with my other dog Tia and also travel about 5 miles to the woods to have a good long walk.

I'd like to take him to these places when he's older and had his jabs but dont want to hurt him or make him scared of the car :'(.

Has anyone else had a sicky puppy and do they grow out of it?
What did you do, use to stop them?????

Claire                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Travel sick
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2002, 12:59:32 PM »
Poor Bailey :'( Most puppies will grow out of it but there are things that you can try and see if it will help. You can withold food for a while before travelling and see if that helps. If he is doing it because he is scared, then you can start by feeding him in the car while it is stationary. Then you can progress to sitting in the car with him while the engine is running. Then if all is okay you can progress to just driving around the block and then gradually build up the distance. You could also place him in a crate while travelling with a favourite toy to help him feel more secure. There are also travel sickness tablets from pet shops but I have never needed to use them so don't know how effective they are. You could also perhaps try some homeopathic or herbal treatments. Vegas was sick only once while travelling but I think I took him too far too soon after eating. There have been a number of occasions when he has looked a bit green around the gills but he has been fine ;D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2002, 03:26:49 PM »
Poor Bailey  :(

I've never tried it, but I've heard that a ginger biscuit before travelling can help.

Fiona                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Travel sick
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2002, 03:45:08 PM »
I sympathise with you & Bailey - we have just gone through the same problem with our Ruby, now 7 months old. I'm afraid ginger biccies & herbal cures had no effect on her - the only way we have got her over her sickness is lots & lots of car journeys, short ones to begin with & then longer ones. Withholding food before car journeys has definitely helped & I have also given her 1/2 a SeaLegs tablet before longer journeys. She is now more or less over the sickness stage & hasn't been sick once on the last 2 longer journeys so I think we have cracked it :)                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2002, 09:27:28 PM »
Hi Claire,
I had this problem with Neneh (Otis's 8) mum) when she was a puppy. She would quiver and drool all the time she was in the car. It didn't seem to matter how long or short the journey was. I tried giving her a ginger biscuit (in the house before we left, so no association) but she didn't like it. Then someone suggested I tried giving her a herbal remedy called Travella which you get can from most chemists and health food shops. They worked a treat, and she now travels without being sick or even drooling. I wouldn't say the car is her favourite place to be, but she tolerates it knowing that the journey is usually to somewhere worthwhile! Otis 8) on the other hand absolutely loves the car, but then he's been out in it since he was 5 weeks old. He's out by the gate like a shot if there's any chance of him coming too. ;D
Good luck it will get better with time.
Michele                    

Offline angelad

Travel sick
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2002, 09:40:50 AM »
Cooper is also travel sick, we have found that if he cannot see out of the car when traveling he is a lot better.
If you have a crate then try covering it with something and see how that goes.
Cooper used to travel with his seatbelt on and a blanket over him and he was much happier :) he did look a bit silly though! ;D
Now he is a lot better but still drools on longer journeys although he has not actually been sick for a while.                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline Jude

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2002, 08:59:30 PM »
My Tasha is very very car sick.  Dribbling and salivating.  It has been alot worse when she sat in the back.  I will try the herbal treatment mentioned and hope that helps her.  Chester loves the car and sleeps on the floor listening to the cd.  Not too loud of course!                    

Offline Logan

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2002, 02:49:25 PM »
Thankfully I've never had any problems with Brio travelling -  she's just not phased at all.  

But I was told that parti-coloured cockers (esp. blue roans) were much less prone to travel sickness - any thoughts?  ::)                    

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
Travel sick
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2002, 03:49:16 PM »
We've only ever had Blue Roan and neither of them have ever been travel sick at all. Could be something in that Logan!                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Travel sick
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2002, 03:51:57 PM »
But I was told that parti-coloured cockers (esp. blue roans) were much less prone to travel sickness - any thoughts?  ::)

From my own experience, I think travel sickness can be a family trait to some extent - not necessarily related to colour though. We have one line where we have never had any problems with travel sickness & another line where it does crop up from time to time. Ruby descends from this line & she has taken a while to get over her travel sickness -don't think it's anything to do with her colour though(orange & white) as her great grandmother was the same (blue roan)                    
Jane

Offline Logan

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2002, 03:59:01 PM »
Hi Jane,

Your suggestion does sound much more feasible!  I tend to be a bit gullible  ::), remember the 'dogs won't dirty where they eat' suggestion several posts ago - I'd read it in an American training book (name escapes me) but you were absolutely right - utter balderdash! ;D

Never mind - we live and learn  ;)                    

Offline bobby

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2002, 06:13:30 PM »
Hi All,

so they hopefully grow out of it when they get to 6-12 mts?

I've tried not feeding until we get back, having a walk 4-5 hrs after a feed and feeding him in the car but still he's sick. He sick as I'm parking the car up  :'(

Its hard as puppy class is the other side of town about 10 mins drive away, He seems to go to No2's before and after being in the car.

God i really hope that he grows out of it as we go walking for hrs, go to wale's, cornwall on holiday and often go beach fishing and dont like the idea of him missing out as i know he'd enjoy it when we got there :'(

Maybe I should just keep driving him around and just walk around the block????

Thanks for listening to a depressed Claire                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2002, 09:23:49 PM »
I tried giving her a herbal remedy called Travella which you get can from most chemists and health food shops. They worked a treat, and she now travels without being sick or even drooling.
Hi Claire,
Have you tried giving Bailey anything to help combat the sickness?                    

Offline bobby

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2002, 10:16:18 PM »
Hi michelle,

I've looked into Travella but i think its for long distances and I've brought some ginger buiscits but not sure weither i should give them to him or how much!

Claire                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Travel sick
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2002, 10:40:28 PM »
I agree that Travella would be more likely used on longer journeys, but if you plan a time to take him in the car even for a short journey (like puppy training classes) why not try them then. At least that way it will give you an indicator as to whether they are going to work or not.
If they do work Bailey will feel better and you know that you can use them again on a longer journey.
If they don't work they you can look for something else