Cocker Activities > Working

Working Commands

(1/4) > >>

anita96:
I was interested to know what commands people use for gundog work.  Mine are a bit all over the place and not what they are meant to be but I think he knows what I mean  :005:

Whistle
1 pip   =  Sit, look at me for next command
2 pips  =  turn when quartering
3 and more pips  =  recall

Verbal

Find  =  Retrieving dummy seen there is a reason why a chose find but I can't remember now          Hi lost never rolled off the tongue for me.
Get on =  hunt (quartering)
sit =  sit ( could never get used to saying hup )

I think find, get on are the wrong way round, but hey ho

Millomite:
I use:

1 Pip - Turn when quartering
2 Pips - A series of 2 pips for the recall
1 Blast - Sit/Stop

Hi Lost - I use this when the dog is in the vacinity to where I think the game fell

Steady on - hunt

Sit - Sit until I tell you to move (don't use a stay command)

Get back - send the dog further away

Get over - jump a fence/wall

Get under - Go under a fence/wall

Get in - used to command the dog into water or cover

Dead - give me the bird/dummy

Gone away - if I shoot at something and miss, I hunt him in the other direction and say gone away so he knows I have not made a kill

No - don't do that please, you'll spoil my day lol

Insert expletive here - If he doesnt listen to the above

I don't think it matters what command you use, consistency is the key!!!

Nicola:
Like Millomite I don't think the actual command matters, so long as you use the same ones all the time.

With Tilly I don't know what she was taught before but I am using the same for her as I do for Alfie and so far we haven't had any problems, she's adapted perfectly. She also understands pointing and will look in the direction I'm indicating. Alfie just looks at the end of my finger  ::)

I use:

2 pips - turn
3 or more pips - recall
long blast - stop and wait

Hup - sit

Hi! - look at me

Go on - when first sending them out to hunt AND to encourage them into water or cover (I also point)

Whoa - to steady them whilst in action

Over - to jump a fence/ditch

Seek - to encourage them whilst hunting (said 'seekseekseek' in a high pitched excited voice)

Hi Lost - to find a dummy/bird and hopefully retrieve it

anita96:
At the moment we are only doing seen dummies which he runs and finds fine, should I therefore use seek or hi lost as I progress onto unseen dummies.  Therefore the commands would be

sit
find  -  when I send him out using hand as direction
seek or hi lost  - when he is in the correct area

*jean*:
I use hand signals a lot I put my hand straight up when Im recalling and when directing I point. we say ha loose ( hi lost in english!!)
 and/or seek and hup is for sit. I also forget im not working collies sometimes and bawl   that'll do as thats the command to stop and return for the collies .
 the clever spaniels, they  have picked up a lot of the collies commands.. I can make them creep up,  go backwards  walk up slowly, allsorts. Im crap with a shepherds whistle I  have never been able to use one so I use my gundog whistle for the collie. its not as good but its better than me yelling. can i ask you peeps with more than one working dog do you use the same whistle on all or a different one for each dog so they know who you are directing or do you just work one dog at a time.?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version