Cocker Activities > Other Activities

A "trick" question - about teaching roll-over

(1/4) > >>

Cob-Web:
Has anyone successfully taught their dog to "roll over" (other than you, Cheryl  ;))?

It was our homework from clicker/obedience class last week - and Molo and I failed miserably :(, so would appreciate any suggestions on different approaches .....we will not be beaten, we just need to find a method that suits us both  ;)

Thanx  :D

ladylola:
I taught sasha to roll over by getting her to lay down and gently rolling her over. saying rollover. she soon got it and now rolls over everytime I have a treat in my hand, I don't have to ask. she will give me high five and ten and then roll over, all at once. another way isto lie them down and with atreat in front of their nose do a circling movement with your hand. they roll over as they follow the treat, it is best if they are on their side.  hope this makes sense good luck keep practicing

Luvly:
 :lol2:

Danni n Betty:

--- Quote ---she soon got it and now rolls over everytime I have a treat in my hand, I don't have to ask. she will give me high five and ten and then roll over, all at once.
--- End quote ---
:lol: :lol:
Betty does this too, when she knows i've got a treat. She does a full routine like shes on auto pilot!
First she sits, then throws her left paw at me then her right, then lies then does a double rollover, all in about 3 seconds :lol:
Anyway.....I taught her by putting her in a down then I got a treat, put it close to her nose, then circled it up and round over her head. Their nose follows it, keep saying down if they go to move, and when you get half way they kinda tip over a bit, then you slowly encourage them onto their back, and then just carry on holding the treat close to their nose,right round.Just practice loads, and start saying roll over as he does it
Does that make sense? Im trying to picture how I did it, maybe not explaining too well ::)

crazyspaniels:
I have done it with 2 of mine (Willow thinks is a conspiracy and seizes up), with them I used a clicker and treat or target and clicked progressive movements, but I made sure they knew the flat command and then worked out which way they would roll easier (most dogs find one side easier than the other), and then clicked progressive movements towards the treat or target until they went right over for a jackpot, now both are happy to drop and roll over from a distance.
Its a patience thing, don't rush it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version