Author Topic: Can I leave a pup outside all day?  (Read 7963 times)

Offline selenamasson

• Site Member
Can I leave a pup outside all day?
« on: December 08, 2006, 03:36:14 PM »
I am getting a 10 week old pup in January. I work from home 3 days a week but will be in the office for the other 2.

For the first 2 weeks I intend to take those days off so that I can be at home with him.

But after that is it OK to leave him outside with my 2 yr old lab?

They have got a lovely big kennel in the garden...

or should he be left in the utility until he is a bit older?

Thanks 

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Can I leave a pup outside all day?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 03:44:08 PM »
I personally wouldn't want to leave any of my pups in the garden at 10 weeks old especially in January a bit too chilly.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:46:09 PM »
I think it'll be too cold - they do feel the cold very easily when they're that age. Can you leave the lab with him in the utility room while he's weeny?
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:46:38 PM »
I personally wouldnt be comfortable leaving a dog outside permanently regardless of age, although I do understand that some people do this with their dogs and having known no different they are apparently quite happy.

In my honest opinion I wouldn't and couldn't leave a 10 week old puppy outside - the weather can be so unpredictable at times particularly at this time of year. Im sure you've seen the footage on the news of the tornado in London, although extreme it certainly came out of the blue and no-one could have prepared for that - imagine if a 10 week old puppy was caught up in that?! Furthermore leaving them outside depending on the security of your property can leave them susceptible to dog theives... some people will do anything these days to get their hands on a pedigree puppy.....
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Naughty Pair

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:57:13 PM »
Hi...

Its always a problem when we have to work!!

But maybe you could leave both dogs inside with a dog flap on the door, so the pup can learn to go outside for the toilet...and then have someone pop in to see them sometime during the day.....this is what I had to resort to do - would rather be at home with them myself though!!  I have someone have them for 4 hours per day...just to keep them stimulated and make sure there are no problems

It will be cold for a pup and plus the pup will need some other (apart from your lab's) company during the day...

hope this helps and best of luck
Jane
Love Jane

Mum to Annie and Teri

Offline nezzielou

• Limited Member
  • XX My ZoO Is Bk! XX
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 04:00:16 PM »
sorry i agree with caroline! i wouldnt dream of leaving my dogs outside as millie moves bricks lol (heavy ones at the bottom of the gate lol) and escapes....her and molly have been brought home many a times! all it takes hun is someone to climb over....offer your dog a treat and he/she is theres! i leave mine in the porch if i go out (big side porch not tiny front porch lol) where they are comfortable, warm  and happy

im sorry to offend if i did and i also agree that if its what a dog knows it will be happy as its not known no different so i guess you could wait until puppy is a bit older to withstand weather etc? xx
Lv BeX n ZoO XxXx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 04:19:42 PM »
I wouldn't leave any very young Cocker puppy alone unsupervised with a much bigger breed, whether inside or outside. The huge differences in size and weight leaves a puppy vulnerable to accidental injury and also means the older dog cannot get away from the puppy for some peace and quiet (puppies can be very irritating sometimes ;))
Jane

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 04:34:19 PM »
 Personally I wouldn't/couldn't! For all the reasons mentioned above ;)

Offline kate.s

• Site Member
    • Ghost Tours UK
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 04:40:04 PM »
Are you going to use a crate for the puppy? You could put the puppy in the crate and leave your lab in the same room then they are together but kept apart for safety. But you would have to get someone to check on them during the day.

Personally I won't leave Sam and Benji alone together without Benji being in his crate, firstly because I would probably come back to a mess on the floor (probably walked in) and secondly I'm worried that if Benji pushes it too far with Sam one of them could get hurt.
Love Kate and Sam xxx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 06:25:43 PM »
Are you going to use a crate for the puppy? You could put the puppy in the crate and leave your lab in the same room then they are together but kept apart for safety. But you would have to get someone to check on them during the day.

even with someone checking on a pup I wouldn't leave them all day in a crate
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sez0807

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 07:33:16 PM »
There is no way I would leave a 10 week old puppy outside all day for all the reasons mentioned already.xx
Sarah and Molly xx

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 08:27:13 PM »
I agree with Jane again  :lol:
I would not leave a dog flap open whilst i was out so the dogs could pop out for a wee/poo,not very safe!

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 08:30:31 PM »
Personally I really wouldn't leave any dog outside all day without supervision because apart from anything else  I am paranoid about them being stolen!! :shades:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 08:49:16 PM »
I wouldent dream of leaving any of my  dogs outside mine are pets  :blink: . summer or winter for a length of time . when I take my dogs out I go out too . because all sorts of things can happen when your out there , summer bee stings  one of mine has an allegy what would happen if she got stung and I wasent about ,
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Penel

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 09:23:45 PM »
Have you got any idea how many dogs are stolen from "locked secure" kennels ?  if you haven't I suggest you look on www.doglost.co.uk    :'(  I help out with Lurcher Link, and the amount of lurchers that are nicked from kennels is just shocking.... please please be careful.