Author Topic: Can I leave a pup outside all day?  (Read 7964 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: Can I leave a pup outside all day?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 05:53:58 PM »
There may be some breeds, or individual dogs which can become accustomed to living out but for the most part dogs are bred nowadays to be human companions. They are not wolves or foxes and should not be treated as such.

I agree and inside the home is where my pet dogs should be, with me

Where I live some dogs are kept outside but its often because these owners can't be bothered with housetraining them etc and give up easily so then just shove them in the garden and forget about them. Trouble is once out there they bark and howl.

There is also a greater risk of theft if left outside.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2006, 06:04:38 PM »
My labrador has been outside, on it's own since it was six weeks old,

My labs would have howled the place down if I'd left them outside at 6 weeks old :huh:; also I frankly can't see the point of having a pet & then shutting it outside away from the comings & goings of the family - this is the reason we have the dogs to include them in most of what we do. ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 06:12:30 PM »
I frankly can't see the point of having a pet & then shutting it outside away from the comings & goings of the family - this is the reason we have the dogs to include them in most of what we do. ;)

I tend to consider dogs that "live" outside to be working dogs (tools for a job/hobby) rather than pets though - the definition of pet that I have found is:

a domesticated animal kept for companionship

How can a dog kept outside in a kennel from 6 weeks old learn to be a companion?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006, 08:28:38 PM »
My opinion is that working dogs who are kennelled outside are so keen to work BECAUSE it's the only attention they get............. as they are not constantly in the house, with their "people" - they don't get nearly as much attention as a house dog would - so therefore, they are mega attentive when they do get attention.
Btw I am not just referring to gundogs, I include lurchers, and also film / tv dogs that I know which are also kennelled.  In the long run, in my experience, it's doing them no favours, I have seen many kennelled dogs that have developed little behavioural issues mainly as a result of boredom.  What happens when they are old and arthritic - will they still be kept in a kennel - heated or not it won't be comfy enough for an oldie.
Why people get dogs and keep them outside, beats me ?  what did you get them for ?

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 08:23:49 AM »
My opinion is that working dogs who are kennelled outside are so keen to work BECAUSE it's the only attention they get............. as they are not constantly in the house, with their "people" - they don't get nearly as much attention as a house dog would - so therefore, they are mega attentive when they do get attention.
Btw I am not just referring to gundogs, I include lurchers, and also film / tv dogs that I know which are also kennelled.  In the long run, in my experience, it's doing them no favours, I have seen many kennelled dogs that have developed little behavioural issues mainly as a result of boredom.  What happens when they are old and arthritic - will they still be kept in a kennel - heated or not it won't be comfy enough for an oldie.
Why people get dogs and keep them outside, beats me ?  what did you get them for ?

I got him to work. I needed a working dog and 99% of the gundog trainers I know keep their dogs in dedicated kennels. Why change a system which obviously works?

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2006, 08:24:22 AM »

My labs would have howled the place down if I'd left them outside at 6 weeks old :huh:; also I frankly can't see the point of having a pet & then shutting it outside away from the comings & goings of the family - this is the reason we have the dogs to include them in most of what we do. ;)

It's not a pet, its a working animal

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2006, 08:25:38 AM »

I got him to work. I needed a working dog and 99% of the gundog trainers I know keep their dogs in dedicated kennels. Why change a system which obviously works?

haven't answered my question about your working spaniel pup - is she being kept outside?
helen & jarvis x

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2006, 08:27:52 AM »
I cannot see why everyone on here seems to be against leaving dogs outside. As long as they have a warm kennel and a run to go to the toilet in what is the problem?

My labrador has been outside, on it's own since it was six weeks old, and it has done him no harm at all. In fact he has even slept outside in snow, through his own choice.

You have to remember that dogs are designed to live outside, how many wolves and foxes have central heated apartments?

My dog gets towelled after a days shooting before being put into his kennel where there is a vet bed or sometimes shavings which are regularly replaced

is your new pup outside millomite??

No. My girlfriend and I have decided to keep her inside, although I want to put her outside in a few months time (around 6 months old). This is simply because she and my other dog would then be company for eachother. I also feel that keeping her outside will get her used to the elements which she will be out in for the coming years. I spend many hours in wet, windy countryside every weekend and some evenings sat waiting for ducks etc. My opinion is that a dog which is used to central heating etc will feel the difference a lot more

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2006, 08:28:21 AM »

haven't answered my question about your working spaniel pup - is she being kept outside?

see above

Offline paulb

• Site Member
    • http://barney.moonfruit.com
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2006, 09:25:12 AM »
barney is a pet, and he lives with us (mainly on my knee if he can get away with it), he would not survive 10 mins outside( the big big  baby),

however

my family (as with many people in that part of the world) in northumberland have working dogs, it would be inconcievable for them to bring them their dogs in the house to live.

people have done this as long as they have had dogs,

Barneys Website

With Best Wishes, Paulb, Evonne ,Ollie, Alice and of course the great Barney

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2006, 10:39:33 AM »
I think the difference here is that most of the people involved in this discussion have their dogs as pets - myself included. Whereas Millomite has his as workers. Different attitudes are being displayed and maybe we need to consider the different circumstances as it would seem to me alot of people are getting worked up about this.  >:D

I do not agree with a pet being kept outside but I can understand why a working dog would be.  ;)
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2006, 10:42:35 AM »

I can understand working dogs being kept outside - but referred to as 'it' ?  :-\

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2006, 10:48:51 AM »
I can understand working dogs being kept outside - but referred to as 'it' ?

'It' is obviously a tool for working, not a loved pet.   As Penel states, 'it' will be keen to work as that is the only attention 'it' gets.

I personally could not do it.   I am already feeling the cold, and it is no where near freezing yet!!
Dill would not last two minutes outside, his spot is curled up by the fire!! :luv:

Petra

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2006, 10:52:07 AM »

I can understand working dogs being kept outside - but referred to as 'it' ?  :-\

As a term to refer to Brook my lab, it's just the way I speak. I talk about my dog in the third person. I.e my dog flushed a pheasant and then it went over the fence etc.

The problem with the internet is that it is hard to fully understand the meaning behind what someone is writing

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2006, 10:59:56 AM »