Author Topic: Can I leave a pup outside all day?  (Read 7965 times)

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
Re: Can I leave a pup outside all day?
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2006, 11:03:31 AM »

The problem with the internet is that it is hard to fully understand the meaning behind what someone is writing

Oh, I don't think so.  Your dog is an "it", like a spanner is to a plumber.  He/she is just a tool, not a living, breathing, loving creature  :'(.  I feel very sad for you

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2006, 11:20:37 AM »
I think the difference here is that most of the people involved in this discussion have their dogs as pets - myself included. Whereas Millomite has his as workers. Different attitudes are being displayed and maybe we need to consider the different circumstances as it would seem to me alot of people are getting worked up about this.  >:D

I do not agree with a pet being kept outside but I can understand why a working dog would be.  ;)

mine's both a pet and a working dog  ph34r
helen & jarvis x

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2006, 11:23:04 AM »

The problem with the internet is that it is hard to fully understand the meaning behind what someone is writing

Oh, I don't think so.  Your dog is an "it", like a spanner is to a plumber.  He/she is just a tool, not a living, breathing, loving creature  :'(.  I feel very sad for you

Not really. In fact I probably spend more time with my dog than most of the people on here. He is my working companion. A general week for me and my dog includes:

Monday-Friday
6am: 40 min walk before work.
12pm: 30min walk in lunch break
4pm: Play on garden - retrieving and obedience work
6pm:1 hour walk and training
9pm: 15 min walk
10:30pm: Out in garden for toilet before bed

Saturday:
7am: 30 min walk
9:00am-4:00pm: Out beating/shooting
6pm: 30 minute walk
10pm: out in garden for toilet before bed

Sunday:
7am: 30 minute walk
9am-1pm: Training sessions with me and my cousin and his dogs
4pm: swimming for 20 mins
6:30pm: 30 minute walk
10pm: out in garden for toilet before bed.

I spend roughly 30 hours a week ACTIVELY doing something with my dog. How this can be classed as using him as a tool, is something which quite frankly insults me. He does everything with me. He comes to the shops etc, to rugby training (albeit just sits at the side of the field and waits for me).

What you have presumed has incensed me greatly.

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2006, 11:28:44 AM »
I think the difference here is that most of the people involved in this discussion have their dogs as pets - myself included. Whereas Millomite has his as workers. Different attitudes are being displayed and maybe we need to consider the different circumstances as it would seem to me alot of people are getting worked up about this.  >:D

I do not agree with a pet being kept outside but I can understand why a working dog would be.  ;)

Sorry no offence meant, I realise people do have pets that are also workers but I also know people who have just workers and they stay outside. I personally could never leave a dog outside (Glen would never let me, he goes into garden for time out and makes such a fuss Im suprised the RSPCA have not called on me yet, I think he's part wolf) but I am friendly with alot of farmers who are of the opinion dogs should not be inside the house. Im not for one second saying I agree with it but have accepted that everyone in life is different.  :huh:

Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2006, 11:32:10 AM »

Sorry no offence meant, I realise people do have pets that are also workers but I also know people who have just workers and they stay outside. I personally could never leave a dog outside (Glen would never let me, he goes into garden for time out and makes such a fuss Im suprised the RSPCA have not called on me yet, I think he's part wolf) but I am friendly with alot of farmers who are of the opinion dogs should not be inside the house. Im not for one second saying I agree with it but have accepted that everyone in life is different.  :huh:

I agree. The one thing I dislike on this forum is that if someone suggests somethings or says something that the majority do not agree with they are immediately given a lecture on why they think it is worng etc. Everyone is different

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2006, 12:02:16 PM »
This is a discussion forum, and inevitably there are going to be people that disagree  :-\

Most members here, have pets, not working dogs, which is why the idea of keeping a dog outside seems so alien.  I haven't got an opinion either way.  Personally it is not for me, but so are lots of other things that are suggested and promoted by other members on this board. 

I appreciate your dogs are working dogs, and the time you must spend with them, but you have a different relationship to your dogs, than most of us on here do, so you can't really be surprised at the differing views  :huh:

Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2006, 12:06:23 PM »
This is a discussion forum, and inevitably there are going to be people that disagree  :-\

Most members here, have pets, not working dogs, which is why the idea of keeping a dog outside seems so alien.  I haven't got an opinion either way.  Personally it is not for me, but so are lots of other things that are suggested and promoted by other members on this board. 

I appreciate your dogs are working dogs, and the time you must spend with them, but you have a different relationship to your dogs, than most of us on here do, so you can't really be surprised at the differing views  :huh:

Not surprised by the different views, I can accept them gratefully, and like to hear peoples views. It is the way in which they are often expressed when one person (usually me :D) states something away from the norm. The function of a forum is a communication platform for its members. Not somewhere to resort to school playground arguments etc

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2006, 12:10:10 PM »

Not surprised by the different views, I can accept them gratefully, and like to hear peoples views. It is the way in which they are often expressed when one person (usually me :D) states something away from the norm. The function of a forum is a communication platform for its members. Not somewhere to resort to school playground arguments etc

i agreed with elisa until i read your comment millomite....
perhaps it's your 'style' of commenting that people react to, which at times is patronising.

helen & jarvis x

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2006, 12:19:53 PM »

i agreed with elisa until i read your comment millomite....
perhaps it's your 'style' of commenting that people react to, which at times is patronising.

Not being patronising, just stating the obvious. There are cliques on here which seem to be used to target certain members.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2006, 12:22:34 PM »

The one thing I dislike on this forum is that if someone suggests somethings or says something that the majority do not agree with they are immediately given a lecture on why they think it is worng etc. Everyone is different

People are only expressing their own opinions, just as you are.  :blink: Calling a dog "it" ( not once but several times) is never going to go down well on a dog forum ( well not the ones I've been on) - there's been over 250,000 posts on this forum and as far as I can remember nobody has ever done it before. I appreciate that it's not always easy to get points across with the written word - but rarely, if ever, referring to your dogs by their names ( instead of - it, the dog, the pup, the lab etc) is always likely to give the impression that you don't view them with the same affection as the rest of us on this forum. Fair enough it might not be an accurate impression but we can only go on what we read.

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2006, 12:27:06 PM »
People are only expressing their own opinions, just as you are.  :blink: Calling a dog "it" ( not once but several times) is never going to go down well on a dog forum ( well not the ones I've been on) - there's been over 2.5 million posts on this forum and as far as I can remember nobody has ever done it before. I appreciate that it's not always easy to get points across with the written word - but rarely, if ever, referring to your dogs by their names ( instead of - it, the dog, the pup, the lab etc) is always likely to give the impression that you don't view them with the same affection as the rest of us on this forum. Fair enough it might not be an accurate impression but we can only go on what we read.

Yes but why base an impression of someone you do not know on something they have written? Everything on the internet has to be taken with a pinch of salt, you cannot guarantee the accuracy of 99% of the content on forums

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2006, 12:28:52 PM »
This thread is going way off topic now and is becoming personal. I am therefore closing this as it's not going to help the OP (whose dogs presumably are pets not working dogs).
Jane