Cocker Activities > Working

Help needed - How to prepare game birds?

(1/7) > >>

Cob-Web:
Mods: I've put this here, rather than in Anything Goes, to avoid upsetting the more sensitive members, who tend to avoid this section  ph34r

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good website (preferably with pictures) that gives a step-by-step guide to plucking and gutting game birds?
I am going to be shown by an expert (in return for one of the birds), but would like to have some idea of what to expect - and which bit is which  :005:

Thanks  :D

supaspaniel:
be very prepared for the smell  ph34r :005: :005:

being a gamekeepers other half I should know how really, but my nan tried to show me many moons ago and I left her in the room with the door shut :005:

I could probably cope with it now, but Matt never seems to bring any home :-\

sorry not very helpful ph34r

happydog:

--- Quote from: supaspaniel on January 01, 2007, 04:35:50 PM ---be very prepared for the smell  ph34r :005: :005:

--- End quote ---
I'll second that  ph34r . OH used to do it whilst I went outside for a bit of fresh air  ;) . Now he can no longer see to do it himself the farmer brings them to us already gutted and plucked -bless him  :angel: ! I would make sure you have plenty of newspapers, carrier bags and rubber gloves. Sorry I'm not much use either  :-\ .

*jean*:
ok I can help her but its unorthodox.. ;) most game birds are breast and nothing much else not worth all that fuss of gutting and plucking and the meths to burn the stumps of feathers yeeeeuk!!!
 all you need is... be brave... a sharp knife and cut down the breastbone then pull back skin and feathers... then cut meat off breastbone. peasy.. the breast is the best bit chuck the rest..or give it to your dog if hes a barfie as long as hes not a working spaniel as he will learn to pluck game and you really dont want that! ;)
 You will need a few birds normally for a meal  if you are feeding a few folks as wild game is not busty like reared.. wrap streaky bacon round it and roast it..or do what you like.
 I dont do this now as Im developing new phobias daily dash near and dead birds  have become top of my list.. but I did it in my youth and it worked fine! Bon appetite!

anita96:
Have a look at this rachel, be warned they aren't the nicest pictures to look at whilst having your tea!  ;)http://www.salopnobs.org.uk/pheasant_prep.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version