Author Topic: new puppy, new member  (Read 3166 times)

Offline mosscliff

• Site Member
new puppy, new member
« on: January 05, 2007, 09:54:09 PM »
HI everyone
Our new puppy was born on New Years Eve and we watched her being born :luv:. What a fantastic experience. She is a working cocker and is mostly black with a white bib.  We had to pick her out at 2 days old as I wanted to keep her tail and the others will be working dogs so off came the ends. Ouch. I will try and load a photo. They are all so cute and the mum is fab so I am happy that all would be okay.  I am looking forward to reading all the advice over the next few weeks and am glad to have found a cocker forum.  W e have a lab, Ben :luv:, who is 8 so any advice on introducing her to him would be great. He is such a good boy I would hate for him to have a really tough time.  Any good girlie names??????  We still have no idea.  So far we are plumbing for 'pip' but any good ideas ?  ( I also Have 3 children!! 12,11,8 who are very excited)

Bestwishes
Karen

Offline Mollie.Ladie

• Site Member
  • Mmmm I love cockers!
Re: new puppy, new member
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 09:58:54 PM »
Welcome to COL!  :D Its great to have you here.  :blink:  When are you bringing her home?  When you introduce them make sure to be careful at first.  I'm guessing that the lab is friendly with other dogs already though so it probably shouldnt' be too hard. Can't wait to see pics of the new baby. 
Mollie&Christina

*Love at first sight.!

Offline mosscliff

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:06:48 PM »
Ben is either really friendly with other dogs or ignores those who don't take his fancy.  We also have cats and chickens . Any ideas for smooth intros to those?  She should be coming home end of Feb but as she is from a farmer friend we can go visit and play anytime

karen

Offline Janice-Dylan

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 10:18:37 PM »
Hi and welcome. I'm a newbie too, this a great site, I've had lots of help, sympathy and laughs already in the short time I've been a member. I have a 15 week old working cocker Dylan. Can't help much with introducing other pets I'm afraid as Dylan's an only one. With the kids tho, my mistake I think was to let them run wild with him, which has made him very hyper and bitey.My friend has his brother, he lives alone and his puppy is very calm in comparison. We got him at just under eight weeks, I've been advised that if I'd left him with his mum another week or so he might have been better behaved. Who knows? Love him regardless. Looking forward to seeing pics and hearing all your stories  x

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 10:23:58 PM »
Welcome!   :D  and congratulations on your new puppy!

There are lots of great threads on here about all the questions you've asked so you can have lots of good reading here.

Don't forget in the excitement of the new puppy to give lots of love to Ben and let him know he's special and loved too. Sometimes it's easy to forget about the old dog. Just make sure you don't leave them alone together as theres a huge size difference and the puppy could get hurt, even without the lab meaning to.

Make sure Ben and the cats have somewhere they can go to get away from the puppy and have some rest. Puppies can be very annoying to older pets :005: ::)

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 10:47:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new little girl  :luv:

Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline mosscliff

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 12:32:57 PM »
]

This is Ben , the big brother and his best mate Holly, always looking for a warm spot.

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 01:16:10 PM »
Hi and welcome

Can't wait to see the pics. I was at the breeders house the day my Scout was born, just by chance. I didn't see it but i feel i was there from the start of her life.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 01:26:08 PM »
Welcome to COL  :D

I have a black lab (nearly 8yrs) and a working cocker (10 1/2 months)

Please have a safe haven for Ben to go out the way of the new arrival, Jock's was on the settee as Fern couldn't get up there ;) Fern also had a crate so i could leave her in it and get on with jobs etc out of Jock's way.  Yes she created to start with about the crate but soon got used to it.

Can I ask is Ben entire? If yes then be very careful and alert for new pups first season   

Good luck, plenty of help and advice on here ;)

Offline mosscliff

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 08:25:40 PM »
Hi all

Ben has been 'done' and is a pretty mellow chap, hopefully another dog might perk him up a bit.  I will definitely do the crate training. my biggest concern is cat chasing as two of my cats will run, the other one will stand and swipe. I'm going up to see her again tomorrow. I have reall enjoyed re reading the threads here and it has given me plently of food for thought.

Karen

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 06:54:23 PM »
Hi and welcome!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 07:01:39 PM »
Hi all
Ben has been 'done' and is a pretty mellow chap,
Karen

Lucky you  ;) Jock is very placid with Fern, too much so and gives in to her all the time.
It seemed to take a while for them to play but they curl up together now  ;) 

Just don't push Ben, and make sure he is given a lot of cuddles and fun too ;), my two kids had it off to a tee  :angel:   :angel: (normally  >:D >:D )one would play with Fern or sit and cuddle her and the other would make a fuss over Jock, then they would swap, I was so proud of them as they did it after being told to do it once before Fern actually came home ;)

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 08:55:39 PM »
greetings from one black-working-cocker-with-a-white-bib owner to another! :)

clearly, i think you've made a wonderful choice! :005: how amazing to see her being born. :luv: barkley was born on christmas eve last year and we've had an amazing year.

best of luck with everything. can't wait to see pics. your ben sounds like a sweetie. :)
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 09:27:16 PM »
aw, Karen that photo is lovely and reminds me of my old lab (sadly gone  :'( quite a while ago) he used to sleep with the cat  :luv:

I'm sure that they will both be fine, you must be soo excited. 

Amazing that you saw her being born, wow.

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 10:35:19 PM »
What a fantastic picture of Ben and the cat.  These next few weeks will seem like for ever but it will be worth the wait when you new little girl comes home.
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!