Cocker Activities > Working

dogs first try at beating

(1/4) > >>

flozac:
Well i am very tired but very happy. I was invited to take Floss out on a small shoot today.

It was a lovely day for it mild and very sunny. Floss did OK . I kept her on a long lead at first just to see how she was. She didn't seem to bad so I let her off on a  bit on a lightly covered area which she worked quite well, she seemed happy enough at first. Further on however there were lots of shots being fired and she got a bit scared so I put her back on the lead. By the end of the morning she was getting more tired and more timid of the guns so I took her home. ( I only live 5 mins away from where the shoot was being held)

I was going back for the rest of the day so I thought I would take Zac along just for the walk as he has not really had any formal gundog training just what i have taught him my self and has never been near a gun.  However when I got there after a short while he looked keen to go and was coping well on the short lead so my mate the gamekeeper and my dog trainer said let him off. He was such a surprise to me he stayed close and worked the cover well. He stopped when told to ( he is not trained to the whistle like Floss)and went in when told.  He was not gun shy at all but sat when a shot was fired as I asked him.. I was so proud of him.

So I am very pleased. I will have to try to get Floss a bit more confident around the guns,but I would feel very confident to take Zac out again. i might even take him with me to the shoot where I beat regularly to see how he goes.

I am off now to decide what to do with my brace of pheasants.

cazza:
What a fab day you have had  ;)

Congratulation Zac, think you surprised your mum  ;)

Wendy G:
Sounds as though you all had a great day

Nicola:
Glad you had a good time Nic  :D 

Well done to both Floss and Zac, sounds like he's a wee star!  :luv:

happydog:
Aww Zac, you sure kept your talents under your hat didn't you? I bet Mum's really proud of you  :luv: .

Perhaps if you get Zac more involved he will be able to help Floss with her confidence around the guns.

--- Quote from: flozac on January 10, 2007, 08:33:18 PM ---I am off now to decide what to do with my brace of pheasants.

--- End quote ---
:huh: Why -eat them of course! (What else would you do with them?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version