Author Topic: one meal a day?  (Read 571 times)

Offline banjodav

• Site Member
one meal a day?
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:44:31 AM »
Jess is 9 months old and has never been particularly bothered about her food.  She has just come into season for the first time and although has never bothered much with her breakfast she is not eating it at all now.  Can dogs survivie on one meal a day (currently on two meals a day of jwb) which is what she appears to want at present.
barry and jess

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: one meal a day?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 09:54:53 AM »
Fern went off her second meal about the same time. Seasons can affect appetite and erratic growth rates during adolescence (quite normal) also do. I have only fed her one meal a day since then. She is now seven years old. My five other dogs also got fed once a day as adults with no obvious ill effects.

I think a lot of people with healthy dogs just don't like the idea of feeding their dog only once a day rather than for any sound reasoning behind it,  probably because as humans we would find it uncomfortable (I expect to get hammered for that remark  ph34r ).

I asked a similar question in this poll which you might like to read. It is specifically about adult dogs but may be useful.
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=21451.0

happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline magicflower

• Site Member
  • Ruby-doos!
Re: one meal a day?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:07:48 AM »
Over the last couple of days, Ruby hasn't been bothered about her breakfast.

I have still been offering it to her as I don't like to think that she'll have to go all day without anything to eat.

My OH then reminds me that she is a dog and if she isn't hungry she won't eat but she certainly won't starve herself.

OH's can be quite logical at times!  :005:  :005:   :005:

Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx