Author Topic: "miniature" Cocker Spaniel  (Read 12758 times)

Offline Topdog9

• Site Member
"miniature" Cocker Spaniel
« on: January 19, 2007, 07:51:48 PM »
I went to see a litter of puppies recently and one that I particularly liked was tiny at birth and is unlikely to grow any bigger than a Chihuahua.  The puppy is healthy, according to the breeder and the vet who saw her at 8 weeks.  The parents are both KC registered and of breed standard size.

Does anyone have any experience of Cocker Spaniels who are so very small.   Is there an increased chance of poor health or other concerns that I should consider.  

I would be grateful for any advice or guidance.

Many thanks

Offline dood

• Site Member
Re: "miniature" Cocker Spaniel
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 07:56:04 PM »
No experience at all but oh my god, I just can't imagine it[img width= height= alt=Wow 2]http://www.comicguide.net/images/smilies/wow.gif[/img]
as small as a chihuhua?!!   I suppose one major health risk would be the danger of it being stepped on!!
You could get one of those dog bags a la Paris Hilton!!  ph34r

Does sound very strange but extremely cute  :luv:

Sam and Poppy xxx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 08:06:42 PM »
I have never heard of this before in cockers... Dwarfism is known in German Shepherds and a few other breeds, affected dogs look like perfect miniature versions of a 'normal' dog of their breed.

Chihuahua size really is extremely small though. Did the puppy appear healthy? Did it look like the other puppies (except smaller obviously!)?
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Topdog9

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:13:36 PM »
The puppy appeared very well, interacted well with the other puppies and was not at all timid.  Her size is very small indeed - I would say, at six weeks, about half the size of her brother.  So small in fact that I could hold her comfortably in the palm of my hand.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 08:46:50 PM »
I can't really help either, I've never seen a "miniature cocker", I've seen some slightly smaller than the breed average and I've seen ones taller too. Even had a litter in which one of my pups was noticably much smaller than the rest but in reality his birth weight was within the normal limits for a cocker, he grew to the same size as the rest, by 8 weeks he was just a bit smaller and lighter, but he caught up and  he is as healthy as the rest.
I don't really know what to say on the one hand you've picked this one out and they say it is healthy but on the other the height issue may put certain restrictions on any insurance you take out as it is unusually small. Are you willing to accept a pup with health issues and could you pay for them if the insurance won't cover this kind of problem? Maybe the pup will grow to the correct height eventually, or has the breeder bred these 2 dogs before and similar happened in the last litter and thats why they say it wont grow past chihuhua size?
I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to offer more advice.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Mollie.Ladie

• Site Member
  • Mmmm I love cockers!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 09:07:25 PM »
WOW!!..that tiny?  Well..if you get her I really cant wait to see pictures!!! I'm sure shes absolutely lovely :luv:
Mollie&Christina

*Love at first sight.!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 09:10:54 PM »
I just did a google search and found this. It's not a fantastic article, but way down towards the end it does refer to dwarfism in Cockers, and shows a photo of a dwarf cocker, but not necessarily the same as you have been to see.

http://www.dogstuff.info/dwarfism_part_three_lanting.html

Edited to add: this is about an American Cocker though:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf61435648.tip.html

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 09:19:17 PM »
I've never heard of or seen a Cocker the size of a Chihuahua :huh: It's not really possible to predict how big a puppy will be as an adult by looking at how big it is at 6-8 weeks old so am a bit surprised to hear a breeder saying this. You can get tiny pups in litters - we've bred the odd one who is much, much smaller than the rest of the litter such as Rosie's Ellie but she is way bigger than a Chihuahua although very small for a Cocker. A small Cocker does not mean an unhealthy Cocker but if this puppy really is going to stay the size of the smallest breed in the world (ie weighing no more than 6lbs as an adult), then yes, I think I'd be concerned that this was extremely abnormal (though I'm puzzled how anyone knows how big this pup will be as an adult)
Jane

Offline beccab

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 10:45:56 PM »
Srange coincidence maybe but there is one being advertised on a certain puppies for sale website that claims the same thing 'unlikely to grow larger than a chihauhau'

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 10:53:11 PM »
I've just seen this advert too - the breeder says she's black & white although she looks like a light blue roan and although she's small, I wouldn't say she's destined to be the size of a Chihuahua (she's already bigger than a Chihuahua pup). I really shouldn't look at that site as some of the ads make me despair >:(
Jane

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 10:57:49 PM »
puppies that size used to be called the 'runt' of the litter ;)  Out of the four pups I can definitely call the runt of the litter three grew to be the same size as their parents and one slightly smaller, they caught up in their own time and at their own pace. :D

I do know a very unscrupulous breeder though who sold under age puppies that looked tiny that were supposed to be 8 weeks and turned out to be only 5 weeks from a different litter.

Offline beccab

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 11:10:38 PM »
Know what you mean about the ads, even sadder is the large number of re-homes offered and in many cases they could have only had the pup for a month or so though theres as many older ones - some quite blatantly are offering a bitch as 'suitable for breeding, has had many previous litters' etc. Makes me mad.

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 11:34:27 PM »
Hope that I am not going to sound too dim  ph34r

How can you tell at 8 weeks how big a dog is going to be ?

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 12:00:05 AM »
in weims it would be size of ears and feet they tend to grow into them but I suppose the correct answer should be knowing the line of your pup, how big are the parents and grandparents, previous siblings from other litters? etc.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
Srange coincidence maybe but there is one being advertised on a certain puppies for sale website that claims the same thing 'unlikely to grow larger than a chihauhau'

No doubt being touted as the latest fashion accessory  >:(

TBH, it doesn't surprise me (but saddens me a lot) - cockers are renowned for their "cute" look (imo, cuter than chihuahuas), so it was only a matter of time before someone tried to cash in on the trend for handbag/teacup dogs in this way  >:(

I can only imagine the shock to the system of anyone who buys a miniature cocker expecting a lapdog - can you imagine ?? :005: :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club