Author Topic: Puppy and Stairs  (Read 5085 times)

Offline raptur3

• Site Member
Puppy and Stairs
« on: July 21, 2003, 08:36:28 PM »
Hello all,

We are very very proud parents of Pinot (featured at 3 weeks old in the Rogues Photo Gallery 18) who is now 10 weeks old.  ;D

We have had him for 2 weeks and his increasing intelligence surprises us all the time (our previous cocker was a little slower at learning). He sits, retrieves, swims and knows how to let us know when he needs to use his 'garden potty'. He wees, at most, twice in the night on puppy training mats we leave out and knows how to softly alert us for his morning (5ish) poo.

He will not venture anywhere in the house unless we have 'taken' him there before ie: hand lead him into a room or up a step.

Our garden is a couple of steps down from our kitchen diner. We've put a level of bricks to help him in and out of the house. When he first conquered the steps he was so thrilled and had to show off by running in and out of the house followed by tons of tail wagging. He did this within the first three days of coming home.

I know that puppies shouldn't be allowed to climb too many steps and take long walks until they are at least 5 months old to avoid damaging their growing hip bones later on in life.

My question is, based on your experiences, when should a cocker pup be allowed to climb a flight of stairs at home without damaging their bones ?  ???

Thanks for your replies. I will post more pictures of Pinot soon.

Caroline, Justin & Pinot                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Puppy and Stairs
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 10:46:41 PM »
He looks adorable and such a clever chap.

I wouldn't let him go up and down the steps to often. Not never - but limit it to a couple of times a day and gently - no charging down ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline raptur3

• Site Member
Puppy and Stairs
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 03:53:04 PM »
Thanks for your reply Pam  :)

He doesn't so much as charge down, but charges up !! Will make sure a stairgate is in place to stop him from doing it too often.

Guess he will have to wait till the 5 month mark before he can charge around.

Cheers,
Caroline & Justin                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Puppy and Stairs
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 07:18:31 PM »
Hi there parents of Pino,
He is so gorgeous and I see he is already into healthy eating!   :o
Linda                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline val

• Site Member
Puppy and Stairs
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 11:38:04 AM »
hi girls/boys, max climbs upstairs but i will take on board what you are all saying max is 8 weeks so i will make sure he will not get on the stairs[if im quick enough!] val  :)                    

Offline DawnLou

• Site Member
Puppy and Stairs
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 05:38:28 PM »
:- Hello everyone,

I have just read and am becoming slightly concerned.  On returning for a little trip out (to let Jarvis become accustomed to being left for short periods) I found Jarvis happily lying down on my bedroom floor (close to our cat Tilly.  I did not even realise he could climb the stairs - he has not done so whilst I have been in the house.  Should I put something in place to stop him from doing this again???

Thanks Dawn                    
Dawn and Jarvis

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Puppy and Stairs
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 07:08:53 PM »
Awwww...just look at those whiskers and that little wet nose :-*

Dawn, I wouldn't let Jarvis have this freedom at the moment.  When leaving him you should really ensure that he is in a completely safe enviroment.  Allowing him upstairs will give him many opportunities to bite/chew/eat things that may be of a danger to him.  Of course, this can happen anywhere in the house, just make sure that there are no electric sockets where wires can be chewed which could prove fatal.                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline DawnLou

• Site Member
Puppy and Stairs
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 10:25:55 PM »
Thank you Mary

I have already removed all wires from reach of little teeth due to telephone wire being chewed leaving me off the phone a couple of days.  Luckily no hard done to Jarvis, but we don't really have anything dangerous around - children in the house!  

Thanks for the warnings though - it really came as a shock Jarvis getting up the stairs.  Have put something in place to prevent it happening again.  

Dawn                    
Dawn and Jarvis

Offline Indiesmum

• Site Member
Puppy and Stairs
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 10:42:21 PM »
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW what a beautiful face your ickle baby has!!!

Emma and Indie