Author Topic: Very sad news today regarding Molly  (Read 12139 times)

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
Re: Very sad news today regarding Molly
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 08:36:16 PM »
I am so sorry for you all. :'(
I have had several dogs and a few years ago made the decision to get a dog PTS for behavioural problems. We had got her as a rescue dog and had her for over four years. We tried all sorts of training and behavioural therapy but none of the behaviourists- even one form the local rescue centre- could explain her behaviour. She was a border terrier and she was like a split personality. She would suddenly decide she dislike someone or another dog and she would launch a full-scale attack.  :'(
Eventually we were persuaded that it was just too risky keeping her (we had three children) and that re-homing her would be irresponsible.
I wish I could tell you that I know we did the right thing. Sometimes when I read about dog attacks on children I am sure we did but I will never stop wondering if we could have done things differently.
My heart goes out to you!

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 08:39:10 PM »
What a very difficult situation for you to be in. :'(  I am sure you will do the right thing for Molly as you love her. Thinking of you.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 09:17:25 PM »
oh god I'm really sorry, I didn't realise things were this bad. Poor Molly & poor you  :'(

Hope you get this sorted & don't be tempted to rush into anything  :-*

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 09:25:36 PM »
It is so difficult to advise you in situations like these as whichever way you turn their are negative emotions.
I agree there is a point when it is not fair on the dog to be put through examination after examination and the process must come to a conclusion.
Only you know whether that time has come.
There are so many things to consider here not least Molly's and your happiness.
I agree with the Vet, it would be unacceptable that you could re home Molly safely from what you have described to me.
I cannot say what I would do in your situation because I am not there or involved emotionally, but I would be sure I had done the best for my dog before making any decisions.
I know from talking to you guys that you have gone out of your way to help Molly and I'm sure you will decide in time what is best.
My thoughts are with you and as I said in my email just call me anytime if you want to talk
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Dragon

• Site Member
  • Woofas
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 09:34:56 PM »
Thanks to everyones kind posts it is a real help. We are taking a couple of days to look into the MRI scan option for Molly.

Thought I would share my favourite photo of little Molly :)

http://www.monkeyx.net/molly.jpg

Sorry - had to chance it for a link as it was so big

no probs, just like Molly in RL ie little cocker with a BIG attitude!
Cooper x Sasha x George x

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 09:37:07 PM »
OMG she's absolutely gorgeous  :luv:

Really do feel for you, I don't envy your decision & like mark says until you're in that position no one can say what they would do.

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 09:44:30 PM »
I am so very sorry for you.  What a terrible decision to have to make.

I don't know if this will help or not, but I will just share two stories that we have endured over the past 2 1/2 years.
Scuffy our Westie was taken very very ill, very suddenly.  In the morning she was fine, then she suddenly began to scream in pain and my husband rushed her to the vets for tests.  By lunchtime we were told she had an inoperable tumour and was in severe pain (although they gave her painkillers at the vets)  We made the decision to have her PTS and were with her that afternoon when she went to the bridge.  We were all totally devastated.
A year later, Meg our Yorkie was unwell.  She had been battling illness for a while and getting progressively worse.  She picked up a virus and was taken to the vet a very very poorly dog.  She battled for 3 days and nights to get better, and the vet did everything they could.  There was one more treatment they said they could try which MIGHT work.  After a long discussion, we decided we owed it to Meg to give her this one last chance, so we asked the vet to try on the understanding that if it did not help, we would go back the following day to be with her whilst she was PTS.
We had a call the next morning to say Meg had died in the night.  Once again we were devastated - BUT
it was much much worse because she had been alone (and maybe scared and in pain) when she went to the Bridge.
Scruffy had been held in our arms (am crying now as I remember both) and told how very much we all loved her and would always love her.  That gave us huge comfort afterwards, and I will always remember it as being a lovely and peaceful experience - although devastating.

What I am trying rather crassly to share with you is that IMHO it is better for the dog and for you to take the awful decision and let them go quietly and calmly, knowing they are loved, than to leave them to suffer and possibly go alone.

Whatever you do, Molly will know you love her and I know you will find the strength from somewhere to make the right decision for her.
We are there for you when you need us to be.  COL comforted me hugely when we lost Meg and you know you can log on anytime day or night for help and advice.  I wish you luck and strength, and send you lots of hug and positive thoughts.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 10:11:26 PM »
Only just caught your thread. I am thinking about you - and Molly.

I have to say, I agree with your vet - and Mark.....it is irresponsible to consider rehoming dogs who are as aggressive as you've described Molly to be.

Your story has mirrored that of my Millie -as we've discussed.

I know I've said this to you via email, but I just want to say it on the forum. As hearbreaking as it was letting Millie go, I do not regret doing what we did - not for one minute. I knew that Mills was not in control of her aggression.....I knew that she was an angel a lot of the time.....I knew that she, or we, could not predict when her next attack would be. I also knew that there was no way I could ever put Millie into a situation where the safety of her and others might be compromised.

We let her go - and I miss her every day. I still cannot bring myself to look at photos of her. The thought of looking at that beautiful face and not smelling her special cocker smell ever again is just so overpowering.

I am sorry to hijack your thread - you know that I am hear for you, whatever you decide.

With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 10:18:10 PM »
I have to say, I agree with your vet - and Mark.....it is irresponsible to consider rehoming dogs who are as aggressive as you've described Molly to be.

I think that each situation is different, and a dog that is highly aggressive as a result of pain can be turned around if given the right treatment and physical and behavioural rehabilitation  :-\
While it may not be the right decision for Mollie - I would encourage anyone who has a dog with pain-aggression to consider all options, and not exclude re-homing without looking into it first  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline sharon1

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 10:40:46 PM »
I am so very sorry for you.  What a terrible decision to have to make.

I don't know if this will help or not, but I will just share two stories that we have endured over the past 2 1/2 years.
Scuffy our Westie was taken very very ill, very suddenly.  In the morning she was fine, then she suddenly began to scream in pain and my husband rushed her to the vets for tests.  By lunchtime we were told she had an inoperable tumour and was in severe pain (although they gave her painkillers at the vets)  We made the decision to have her PTS and were with her that afternoon when she went to the bridge.  We were all totally devastated.
A year later, Meg our Yorkie was unwell.  She had been battling illness for a while and getting progressively worse.  She picked up a virus and was taken to the vet a very very poorly dog.  She battled for 3 days and nights to get better, and the vet did everything they could.  There was one more treatment they said they could try which MIGHT work.  After a long discussion, we decided we owed it to Meg to give her this one last chance, so we asked the vet to try on the understanding that if it did not help, we would go back the following day to be with her whilst she was PTS.
We had a call the next morning to say Meg had died in the night.  Once again we were devastated - BUT
it was much much worse because she had been alone (and maybe scared and in pain) when she went to the Bridge.
Scruffy had been held in our arms (am crying now as I remember both) and told how very much we all loved her and would always love her.  That gave us huge comfort afterwards, and I will always remember it as being a lovely and peaceful experience - although devastating.

What I am trying rather crassly to share with you is that IMHO it is better for the dog and for you to take the awful decision and let them go quietly and calmly, knowing they are loved, than to leave them to suffer and possibly go alone.

Whatever you do, Molly will know you love her and I know you will find the strength from somewhere to make the right decision for her.
We are there for you when you need us to be.  COL comforted me hugely when we lost Meg and you know you can log on anytime day or night for help and advice.  I wish you luck and strength, and send you lots of hug and positive thoughts.

oh Penny you made me cry. I don't have much to add for poor Molly's situation. Just I lost my lovely springer 6 months ago and altho she was diagnosed with a tumour I still had to make the worst decision of my life to pts my baby she was only 10yrs old but they were full and greatly loved 10yrs. I have asleep downstairs a 9 week little choccy cocker called Molly my tears drying as I smile at how I now have a little tinker to take away some of the heartache. Oh the decisions we make in life may Molly find peace soon x

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 11:03:29 PM »
I am sat here in tears.  I havent followed any of the previous threads about Molly's problems but from the postings it does sound serious. 

If I was in the awful position that you were in I would seek a second opinion. 

Good luck and remember we are all here for you.

Take care x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 11:28:09 PM »
I am so sorry that you have such a difficult decision to make.
We are taking a couple of days to look into the MRI scan option for Molly.
  I do think it worth looking to the PDSA for advice here, or your nearest veterinary college -because as IWLass says:
I think that each situation is different, and a dog that is highly aggressive as a result of pain can be turned around if given the right treatment and physical and behavioural rehabilitation  :-\
While it may not be the right decision for Mollie - I would encourage anyone who has a dog with pain-aggression to consider all options,
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 08:56:10 AM »
I am so sorry to hear about Molly.

It sounds like you love your dogs very much and Im sure that you will explore all avenues and do the right thing for her, she is absolutely gorgeous and seeing that lovely picture of her has made me cry!!!!!!!

((hugs)) to all of you

xxx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 09:05:25 AM »
No extra advice, just sending best wishes to all of you xxx
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline PennyB

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 09:50:59 AM »

While it may not be the right decision for Mollie - I would encourage anyone who has a dog with pain-aggression to consider all options, and not exclude re-homing without looking into it first  :-\

I agree with Rachel that if something is medically wrong as the behaviourist etc have suggested then it is totally different from a dog who has a temperement problem alone and really can't be compared as such am afraid.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!