Author Topic: When can he go out?  (Read 7730 times)

Offline Surfing Spaniel

• Site Member
When can he go out?
« on: August 18, 2003, 07:47:11 AM »
Hiya
Well I take Dylan for his second jab on Wednesday evening. He's now 12 & half weeks old & he had his last jab 4 weeks ago. All I want to know is when will I be able to take him out? I know I can ask the vet but we were thinking of going for a picnic at the weekend (bank holiday so it may be called off due to rain ;D) & I don't want to make plans if he can't go with us. It's sooo frustrating waiting to take him for his first walk  :-
Penny                    

Offline roy

• Site Member
When can he go out?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 08:04:43 AM »
Hi Penny my Alfie is 10 weeks on Wed and he has his second lot of jabs on Wednesday. Vet has said two weeks after that second lot of jabs before he goes out. So I'm waiting like you for the first venture out with Alfie.
Roy                    

Offline Surfing Spaniel

• Site Member
When can he go out?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 08:35:28 AM »
omg I was expecting one week not two!! That seems an eternity :-( Oh well I guess I should think positive, at least the kids will be back at school then so I can take him out all on my own :-D                    

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
When can he go out?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 09:13:05 AM »
Archie and Alfie had their second jabs at 12 weeks and I was told to keep them in 5-7 days after, but I was really naughty and took them out after 4 days,with Alfie being our first I just couldnt wait and Archie was fed up with Alfie going out without him and wanted to join his big brother.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Anonymous

When can he go out?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 10:32:26 AM »
Beano had his second jab Thursday morning. My vet said he was ok to go out on the fourth day. ???

We took him for his first walk yesterday ;D

Isnt it funny how all the vets give different time scales ???                    

Offline Surfing Spaniel

• Site Member
When can he go out?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 10:47:57 AM »
Ooer isnt it odd how they all say different, I wonder what my vet will say. Hopefully 4 or 5 days, that way we go on our bank holiday picnic  8)
I've just got back from carrying Dylan to the park, when I first took him carries he was tiny, but now he's getting a bit big. I think he's beginning to wonder why all the other dogs get to run round & he has to be carried.                    

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
When can he go out?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 12:04:38 PM »
When Sally had her second injection my vet said a maximum of 10 days would be fine.                    
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Offline DawnLou

• Site Member
When can he go out?
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 12:21:02 PM »
My vet also said 2 weeks, but I too am eager to get out and asked another vet who confirmed the 2 week thing :(  I have heard in the past 1 week and wonder why they all seem to give different time scales.  Are there different types of jabs that explain this or is it just that some vets air on the side of caution??                    
Dawn and Jarvis

Offline taliska

• Site Member
    • Our Family
When can he go out?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 03:25:43 PM »
So many different responses - we were told min 5 days ???                    
Sue, Steve
Twins Sam and Sophie
Cockers - Taliska & Jurra
Puddy Cats - Tigger, Frankie & Tino

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
When can he go out?
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 03:47:06 PM »
We were told 10 days. Phoebe enjoyed being carried though ;)                    
Anita

Offline PennyB

When can he go out?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2003, 03:57:51 PM »
I was told 10 days after the 2nd jab, but I carried my pup everywhere outside in one of those puppy pouches, so its OK as long as you don't put them down on the ground (unless you are at houses where you know the other dogs have been vaccinated). Its far better for the pup to go out as much as possible in this period to socialize so that when they do go down there are few surprises for them.

I still use the puppy pouch for when I go on long walks with my other cocker and my pup needs a ride (as I don't want to harm his growing bones).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jenney

• Site Member
When can he go out?
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2003, 08:11:00 PM »
We were told 10-14 days for Jake after his second jab, but like Penny we carried him to loads of different places to see different things, and spent a lot of time getting him used to his lead in the back garden, its proved invaluable now!                    

Offline DawnLou

• Site Member
When can he go out?
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2003, 12:56:59 PM »
Penny

Where can I get one of those puppy pouches and do they make lighter work of carrying??

Thanks
Dawn                    
Dawn and Jarvis

Offline PennyB

When can he go out?
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2003, 02:30:28 PM »
For starters its hands free, so useful if you have to walk another dog or do things like go to the bank etc. The pouch I got sits at the front and fastens like a back pack around your back and waist (there are two sizes: small, up to 10 lb nd medium, 10–20 lb). I felt silly at first but everyone I met thought it was such a good idea and either wanted to know where I got it from or wished they'd had one when they got their pups.

I got mine (made by Kyven: Outward Hound Pet-a-Roo) from PetPlanet (http://www.petplanet.co.uk), but I think PetPack (http://www.petpack.co.uk) do them as well.

Even though Wilf now walks well on the lead I obviously can't exercise him for too long so the carrier is going to be invaluable at the weekend when I take my other cocker on a long walk. I had to get a harness for him so I could clip him into the pouch as he could slip out. In between me using it for long walks a friend is borrowing for the cav pup she gets tomorrow.

And when you think you might not get any more pups you could always pass it on to a rescue or charity who foster pups out before going to a new permanent home or training for, e.g. dogs for the deaf, etc. I'm keeping mine as I want to hopefully foster pups in the future for rescues or dogs for the deaf.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline DawnLou

• Site Member
When can he go out?
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2003, 04:34:12 PM »
I think it's a great idea Penny - we do a lot of walking and Jarvis would not be up to the full journeys for some time, but he is getting slightly more difficult to carry already - I'm going to check out the web site.

Thanks                    
Dawn and Jarvis