Author Topic: delicate subject hmm hmm  (Read 7021 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: delicate subject hmm hmm
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2007, 05:04:15 PM »
Yuk I can't stand this sort of behaviour in dogs, if your strict and say NO and mean NO they soon stop that sort of nonsense. 

I suppose it depends on the standard of behaviour that the dog has - imo, there are far more unacceptable behaviours that I would focus on  ;)

Like teenagers, I think you should be prepared to let "harmless " behaviour go uncorrected, otherwise it can ruin your relationship with them, as you are forever correcting them for one thing or another  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2007, 05:04:35 PM »
Kepp it going people, funniest thread for days!!!

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:
 :rofl1: I am soooo glad I read this thread.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2007, 05:22:04 PM »
The only ones I give any leaway to are rescues because they usually only do it for a couple of weeks because of stress not habit.
Sorry, but I have to disagree, Dillon has just celebrated his third Gotcha Day with me and he's still humping Nelly occasionally.

I won't tolerate this kind of behaviour though and I always stop him (I also stop Nelly when she humps my leg). 

My mother has a Yorkie who is obsessed with humping everything, his toys, cushions, peoples' feet, absolutely anything and everything.  He hasn't been neutered and all his toys have a sort of "crusty" coating on them.  I'll never forget the day the Vicar came to make arrangements for my Dad's funeral.  Arran (the dog) was humping everything in sight - so embarrassing  :embarassed:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2007, 06:38:46 PM »
Yuk I can't stand this sort of behaviour in dogs, if your strict and say NO and mean NO they soon stop that sort of nonsense. 

I suppose it depends on the standard of behaviour that the dog has - imo, there are far more unacceptable behaviours that I would focus on  ;)

Like teenagers, I think you should be prepared to let "harmless " behaviour go uncorrected, otherwise it can ruin your relationship with them, as you are forever correcting them for one thing or another  ;)
I've re-read this and want to clarify it; but can't edit??  ::) 

What I more accurately should have said is that:
I think "harmless " behaviour should not become a big issue......

I would distract, but not scold, a dog who was repeatedly humping; and not make it a critical issue - so I wouldn't interrupt a  telephone call to distract him, for instance...whereas some other unwanted behaviours, I would  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2007, 08:32:56 PM »
My mother has a Yorkie who is obsessed with humping everything, his toys, cushions, peoples' feet, absolutely anything and everything.  He hasn't been neutered and all his toys have a sort of "crusty" coating on them.  I'll never forget the day the Vicar came to make arrangements for my Dad's funeral.  Arran (the dog) was humping everything in sight - so embarrassing  :embarassed:
:rofl1:  Sorry. But that is straight out of a Carry On film!  :rofl1:

Not that I'm old enough to have watched any.  ph34r

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »

I would distract, but not scold, a dog who was repeatedly humping; and not make it a critical issue - so I wouldn't interrupt a  telephone call to distract him, for instance...whereas some other unwanted behaviours, I would  ;)
Quite right too- but if you do decide to, make sure you press the secrecy button on your phone before you give the "no humping" command! :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
As castration involves removing the testicles this obviously stops the dog producing sperm so it would resolve the 'sticky issues' caused by that particular bodily fluid.

I am assuming that dogs are the same as humans in their basic biology, and if so - the seminal fluid is not produced in the testicles......so will continue to be produced afterwards  ;)

Removal or sterilisation only limits the addition of sperm into the seminal fluid - so IF the dog is ejaculating, they can still do this after neutering, it will just be "seedless"  :005:

From what I've read and heard though it is much less common for castrated males to hump to 'closure' though iyswim, which is what I meant, not very clear sorry. May not be true I suppose, I've never had a castrated male dog, or one that humps a lot  :lol:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2007, 11:40:03 AM »
Im with Rachel - its a natural thing for dogs to do - Ive got bitches and they hump (albeit we dont get sticky patches!)

Dogs will be dogs - not people!  >:(

Janey

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2007, 01:28:52 PM »
My Mum and dad were always very "prudish" - they turned over the TV when people kissed in case it led to anything ::).

My mum once stuck a christmas gift tag over a picture of a girls cleavage on a "Top of the Pops" album.

Now I know why we were only ever allowed female dogs in our house  :shades: :005:(although our corgi/jack russell bitch took a liking to doing this to our corgi bitch for a while!)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2007, 02:18:11 PM »
although our corgi/jack russell bitch took a liking to doing this to our corgi bitch for a while!
But did she leave a sticky patch?  :005:

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2007, 02:30:24 PM »
Thankfully not  ;)

I didn't realise boy dogs did this - I've led a sheltered life ::) :005:

Offline Anita breathes Cockers

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2007, 05:50:40 PM »
My Mum and dad were always very "prudish" - they turned over the TV when people kissed in case it led to anything ::).

My mum once stuck a christmas gift tag over a picture of a girls cleavage on a "Top of the Pops" album.

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:
[img width= height=]http://www.animationattic.com/dog0037.gif[/img] "Won't be long" means nothing to a dog.  All he knows, is that you're GONE!  He gives his heart; be worthy.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2007, 06:13:54 PM »
Haven't noticed any significant sticky patches from Buddy, but he does drool a lot when he's excited, and that can make quite a mess of his victim sweetheart (can't it Terri? :005:)

I'm with Rachel all the way on this one. If it bothers us we distract him, He never gets to our toys so that's not an issue. He sometimes develops a passion for his bed and when he does he drags it downstairs (it is on the landing, normally) and starts folding it in half etc. We just take it away and he forgets about it after a while.

To be honest, even if it was guaranteed to stop the humping I would still think very long and hard about invasive surgery for social reasons. I am saying this from the comfort of owning an infrequent humper though. I might look on it differently if it was constant!

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2007, 11:07:55 PM »
I can confirm the ability of a castrated animal to "spuff"...

Samson (my horse) has had his nadgers removed, but if I scratch his back leg just so....  ph34r

You can imagine the size of his "sticky puddle" :shades:!!!!!!!!!!

:005: :005:  I'd stop scatching his leg pretty quick  :lol: :lol:

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2007, 10:41:45 AM »
Blimey

I'm so lucky - Paddy's penis never makes an appearance, he's never humped anything or anyone - must be the lowest-sexed entire male on the planet!

I know that castration doesn't cure it, but is there actually any evidence that  it causes any diminution in behaviours like this?  Overall, I have to say I'm with Rachel on this - adapt the behaviour, don't go for surgery just to stop something we find embarrassing.....easy to say with No-hump Norbert for a dog though!

Denise